U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2010, 07:38 PM

1,052 posts, read 1,410,488 times

Advertisements

Okay, ladies (and gentleman) and fashionistas, I would like advice on finding a clothing style and generally how to dress better for every day use. I've tried online articles, but they are not that helpful...and I'm embarassed to ask some of my gal pals to help out So I am asking you, my online brethren for help

A little tidbit about myself: I'm 22, 5'10, male (light skinned Asian, if that helps), and a college student (so I kinda need something decently priced).

My normal wear is something along the lines of either mismatched clothes or dressed like doing laundry...out in public...I am what my classmate jokingly calls a "hot tranny mess" (funny, but kinda true)

So why the change? I figured that since I'm going through a positive change in my life, I want my physical appearance to reflect that happier new me. Plus, after 22 years of crappy dressing, I think it's sorely needed

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2010, 07:42 PM

5,531 posts, read 8,188,759 times
You dress like a woman?

Old 10-21-2010, 07:46 PM

14,790 posts, read 13,482,539 times
Kinda like qu eer eye for a straight guy

Okay ... I'm not really picturing what you mean when you say "mismatched clothes or dressed like doing laundry..."..

Its important to be comfortable in what you're wearing..

A decent pair of jeans is a must.

Last edited by artemis agrotera; 10-21-2010 at 08:12 PM.. Reason: q ueer is banned!

Old 10-21-2010, 08:05 PM

17,414 posts, read 18,279,875 times
Start by browsing through a few recent issues of GQ and check out the men's section on style.com then go create the look for less

Old 10-21-2010, 10:45 PM

7,371 posts, read 5,681,590 times
Go window shopping at a number of stores where you can find affordable clothing. If you see a male salespeople who has a style you would like to emulate, ask him for some assistance. If you have a friend who loves to shop and whose style really impresses you, take her along. Honestly, she won't mind. TJ Maxx is also great for deals and there is no shortage of fashionistas who will give you their opinion of the items you try on. Have fun shopping

Old 10-22-2010, 02:17 AM

3,668 posts, read 5,735,489 times
Alright if you wish to update your style I have a few simple tips. Visit different stores, from Macy's to Old Navy, and check out the sale racks.

Find pants that are slim fit and at least one or two pairs of skinny jeans. Also some khakis that are fitted.

Then find decent shirts and sweaters, polos that are your size, oxford shirts, especially a white one, an argyle sweater vest, and a stylish jacket, think very fitting pea coat (Forever 21 has them for 50 dollars as well as tons of other cheap clothes), or even a cardigan.

For shoes start off with some basic white sneakers that do not look like they are for the track or court unless they are very basic trainers. If not try something even more casual. Some decent leather shoes are also a must but can wait til later.

Remember it is better to have just a few classic items in your closet that become staples which you wear lots over and over instead of having tons and tons of items. A few trendy pieces are OK but spend as little as possible on them since they will go out of style fast.

Also do not be afraid to ask your gal pals since no doubt they will offer excellent advice.

Old 10-22-2010, 10:33 AM

17,414 posts, read 18,279,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merovee View Post
Alright if you wish to update your style I have a few simple tips. Visit different stores, from Macy's to Old Navy, and check out the sale racks.

Find pants that are slim fit and at least one or two pairs of skinny jeans. Also some khakis that are fitted.

Then find decent shirts and sweaters, polos that are your size, oxford shirts, especially a white one, an argyle sweater vest, and a stylish jacket, think very fitting pea coat (Forever 21 has them for 50 dollars as well as tons of other cheap clothes), or even a cardigan.

For shoes start off with some basic white sneakers that do not look like they are for the track or court unless they are very basic trainers. If not try something even more casual. Some decent leather shoes are also a must but can wait til later.

Remember it is better to have just a few classic items in your closet that become staples which you wear lots over and over instead of having tons and tons of items. A few trendy pieces are OK but spend as little as possible on them since they will go out of style fast.

Also do not be afraid to ask your gal pals since no doubt they will offer excellent advice.
Start here....
GQ Guide to Dressing on a Budget: Wear It Now: GQ

Go for high quality over "cheap".....quality will last longer as far as style and wear.

With sneakers, go for black or gray...you'll get more use out of them and they will work better with more outfits.

Also, go for more classic cuts vs trendy.......when I think of men and skinny jeans I think of......

Stay away from investing in trends. Slim cut does not equal skinny jeans. Slim cut will outlive the skinny jeans trend for men.

Invest in a few pairs of good quality shoes.

The sales associates in stores like Nordstrom's are great with helping men pull their look together. Take in an item that you would like to help creating a look around.

Educate your eye. Look around at the men who have a style that you admire. Take elements from their style and make it your own.

Old 10-22-2010, 10:50 AM

3,668 posts, read 5,735,489 times
While I agree with most of the above advice one part does not apply to those who are younger. Trends.

Instead of staying away completely just spend minimally. For older adults though the advice above is perfect.

White is more trendy but black and gray do go best with many more outfits. For older adults, or even youths attempting to pull off a more sophisticated look, quality shoes are important and come first. They are the foundation of the outfit. For a college student on a budget...don't blow your whole budget on them.

NEVER LET ANYONE IN A STORE TELL YOU WHAT LOOKS GOOD ON YOU.

Old 10-22-2010, 10:51 AM

21,465 posts, read 22,706,474 times
I'd say to start to find a style, look at catalogs and websites like the Gap, J. Crew, Banana Republic, Urban Outfitters, Eddie Bauer, etc. See what kinds of things you like, what they show that goes together. Rip pictures out of magazines and take them into stores. Try things on. Some things will look great on you, some not so much, but you can't tell from something on a hanger.

I have to disagree about white sneakers. In my set they're worn only to the gym. Vans, Pumas, Chuck Taylor All Stars--those are what guys wear around.

Old 10-22-2010, 10:57 AM

7,371 posts, read 5,681,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
Start here....
GQ Guide to Dressing on a Budget: Wear It Now: GQ

Go for high quality over "cheap".....quality will last longer as far as style and wear.

With sneakers, go for black or gray...you'll get more use out of them and they will work better with more outfits.

Also, go for more classic cuts vs trendy.......when I think of men and skinny jeans I think of......

Stay away from investing in trends. Slim cut does not equal skinny jeans. Slim cut will outlive the skinny jeans trend for men.

Invest in a few pairs of good quality shoes.

The sales associates in stores like Nordstrom's are great with helping men pull their look together. Take in an item that you would like to help creating a look around.

Educate your eye. Look around at the men who have a style that you admire. Take elements from their style and make it your own.
IMO, this guy looks ridiculous. Do you think these jeans are spandex?!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty