U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2010, 08:52 PM

72 posts, read 119,433 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by poptones View Post
Even in other nations fair skin tends to be valued more highly and it's in large part because of the fashion industry. Is this a conspiracy against darker women? It's not just that - it's a lot harder to make a good composition given that you HAVE to use certain colors and garments in a shot. You have to make a shot that's going to grab the most eyeballs, and you cannot change everyone's sensibilities with a wish.

Essence, O, and Ebony usually have covers about someone. Fashion magazines usually have covers about something. It's not a direct comparison.
Your statement screams of bigotry. In summary, you are stating that white women are more appealing to the eye.

If however, black women were featured in a respectable manner on high fashion magazine covers, some of the racism/bigotry would begin to lesson over time.

Old 10-24-2010, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emi__ View Post
They didn't say it was equal, they just said that those magazines do feature black models from time to time.

White models are featured much more often than models of other races. I won't argue with that. But I wouldn't go so far as to say "do whites think..." considering that we don't all get together every Tuesday to pick out the models for magazines. It's called the fashion industry. If the model they want for that shoot is white, then that's how it's gonna be.
It will be quite interesting if, the same white standard is used in another 30 or so years, when the USA is no longer majority white.

Old 10-24-2010, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emi__ View Post
They didn't say it was equal, they just said that those magazines do feature black models from time to time.

White models are featured much more often than models of other races. I won't argue with that. But I wouldn't go so far as to say "do whites think..." considering that we don't all get together every Tuesday to pick out the models for magazines. It's called the fashion industry. If the model they want for that shoot is white, then that's how it's gonna be.
I can't understand for the life of me why cosmo and vogue tend to send me their magazines. I have 0 interest in subscribing to a magazine that offers 0 representation of AA women. I guess they send free magazines in the hopes that I'll subscribe, but I don't. Their magazines always end up in the trash. What a waste of paper!

Old 10-24-2010, 08:58 PM

23,440 posts, read 30,684,564 times
Why do I get the feeling that this thread has an ulterior agenda?

Old 10-24-2010, 09:00 PM

783 posts, read 1,883,252 times
Your statement screams of bigotry. In summary, you are stating that white women are more appealing to the eye.

Nope. I actually prefer black women. But the fashion industry does not revolve around catering to specific fetishes or tastes. I'm saying that fashion is a BUSINESS, and in that business you have to come up with a product. In India, fair skin women get more magazine covers (go look for yourself). In Central America - even in Brazil, the plastic surgery capitol of the world - dark skinned models don't get as much face time as fair skinned and/or blonde models.

Part of this IS because of having something to work with. A model's job is not just to look great, but to make the clothes look great. Neutral skin tones work better for a variety of colors and settings, it's really that simple.

Old 10-24-2010, 09:13 PM

6,611 posts, read 10,969,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eboni_Kisses26 View Post

If however, black women were featured in a respectable manner on high fashion magazine covers, some of the racism/bigotry would begin to lesson over time.
So what % of covers depicting black models do YOU feel would be "fair and representative"? I would discount Oprah's mag totally as from what I've seen the cover model is usually HER.

Old 10-24-2010, 09:16 PM

6,611 posts, read 10,969,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
Agreed

Old 10-24-2010, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opyelie View Post
So what % of covers depicting black models do YOU feel would be "fair and representative"? I would discount Oprah's mag totally as from what I've seen the cover model is usually HER.
In truth, I would like to see more black magazines like Essence and Ebony (perhaps an additional 12 or so).

Old 10-24-2010, 09:24 PM

783 posts, read 1,883,252 times
ROTFL. You still dont get it do you? "Better" is a value judgement. I DID NOT MAKE THAT CALL. You asked why THE INDUSTRY does certain things. I have worked with talent on camera, I've produced video and had contact with people in that industry. I answered your question. Ain't my fault if you don't like the answer.

Did you start this thread just so you could call people names? Maybe you should hop over to the politics forum here, that seems to be a very popular pastime.

Old 10-24-2010, 09:29 PM

662 posts, read 1,044,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
Funny isn't it, how often race comes up in the OP's postings?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty