U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 10-24-2010, 10:10 PM
 
Location: Silver Springs, FL
23,440 posts, read 30,691,045 times
Reputation: 15560

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opyelie View Post
Unless you're a male movie actor/aging rock star that is.
So true!

 
Old 10-24-2010, 10:15 PM
 
72 posts, read 119,450 times
Reputation: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by poptones View Post
You said yourself you like the contrast between your skin tone and a white or latino guy. Yet I'm a bigot for pointing out this EXACT sensibility is more likely the prime factor in the issue of this discussion? It's ok for you to be able to appreciate differences in skin tone but not the rest of us?

As I pointed out numerous times already, this is NOT just an american thing. Even in the "brown" parts of the world fair skin models get most of the gigs. They're still of the same RACE they just have lighter skin. Get it?
The reason why, is because of white supremacy throughout the globe. The only time in which race/color won't truly matter is after you die. Whites in general have done a stellar job convincing black, brown and yellow people that they are better and therefore should ALWAYS be preferred.

I am trying not to develop the same level of hate that most whites have for blacks, but in truth, it's getting more and more difficult; due to widespread bigotry.
 
Old 10-24-2010, 10:18 PM
 
Location: La lune et les étoiles
17,414 posts, read 18,325,371 times
Reputation: 18594
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eboni_Kisses26 View Post
The reason why, is because of white supremacy throughout the globe. The only time in which race/color won't truly matter is after you die. Whites in general have done a stellar job convincing black, brown and yellow people that they are better and therefore should ALWAYS be preferred.

I am trying not to develop the same level of hate that most whites have for blacks, but in truth, it's getting more and more difficult; due to widespread bigotry.
When you internalize what "they" say....."they" win.
 
Old 10-24-2010, 10:24 PM
 
Location: Brentwood, TN
8,000 posts, read 16,826,189 times
Reputation: 12316
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eboni_Kisses26 View Post
I was recently in the airport, and I couldn't help but notice the countless number of magazines with white women. I did not see any magazine's besides Oprah and Essence with black faces gracing the cover. Sadly, young black girls will not get the opportunity to see themselves represented, and young black boys will continue to be socialized to believe that other races of women (primarily white) are prettier and more valuable. It's extremely disturbing.

For this reason, I really take issue with the idea that black magazines such as Essence are discriminatory, since they cater to blacks. Without this magazine, black women would NOT be represented at all. Do whites really think it's fair that other races of women have 0 representation? I guess, most do not care.

On another note, as a dark woman, I often find it difficult to find foundation which matches my skin color. I once mentioned this to a CVS store manager, and he kindly informed me that I was shopping in a mostly white area, so the makeup is intended to cater to white women.

Interestingly however, when I shop in black neighborhoods, I notice that there's always a plethora of makeup available in almost every shade for white women (despite the relatively low/non existent number of white women in the community). This issue really bothers me. Why is it that even in all black areas, there's ample foundation colors and makeup available for white women?
The last place I look for representation of me as a woman, whether I'm white or black or any other race, is magazines, they do not represent the real world.
 
Old 10-24-2010, 10:27 PM
 
72 posts, read 119,450 times
Reputation: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
Regarding makeup for black skin it is all about supply and demand....nothing more and nothing less. (Plus, if you have a darker complexion CVS is really not the place to shop for foundation that looks great and covers the undertone variations in Black skin)

As for the magazines, fashion is cyclical. Black models (and other ethnic models) are not "in" right now. This is what prompted the "Black" issue of Italian vogue to highlight the lack of women of color on the designer's runways.

Italian Vogue's "All Black" Issue: A Guided Tour

Black Fashion Industry Insiders Ask: Where Are The Black Models?

There are not now and never have been a great number of Asians and/or Hispanic women gracing the covers of fashion magazines yet that fact does not diminish their beauty either. We need to look within and not outward for validation of our beauty.
I don't think you can compare Hispanic and Asian women to Black women. First, most Latinas and Asians are closer to white in appearance (in terms of color, and/or hair type). I have known several Mestizo and white Hispanic women. I've also known several white colored Asians who have no problems finding makeup to match their shades.

Also, I'm just curious, if CVS is not the place to find black makeup, where does one find it? Let me guess, I should try a specialty store. LOL, I actually went into a lacome makeup store and inquired about finding my shade. The Latina makeup clerk was quick to let me know that they did not have my skin shade. The message is loud and clear. Dark women are not even valued enough to have makeup made in our skin shade.

Black models will never be 'in' as long as white supremacy is in existence. I am not looking outward for validation; but it would be nice to see women that shared my color on the cover of magazines.
 
Old 10-24-2010, 10:30 PM
 
72 posts, read 119,450 times
Reputation: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
When you internalize what "they" say....."they" win.
I can't help but to internalize it. What do you expect? I should just act as though these things do not exist? They win in this world, but I pray that God gets them in the next one.
 
Old 10-25-2010, 01:06 AM
 
Location: La lune et les étoiles
17,414 posts, read 18,325,371 times
Reputation: 18594
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eboni_Kisses26 View Post
I don't think you can compare Hispanic and Asian women to Black women. First, most Latinas and Asians are closer to white in appearance (in terms of color, and/or hair type). I have known several Mestizo and white Hispanic women. I've also known several white colored Asians who have no problems finding makeup to match their shades.

Also, I'm just curious, if CVS is not the place to find black makeup, where does one find it? Let me guess, I should try a specialty store. LOL, I actually went into a lacome makeup store and inquired about finding my shade. The Latina makeup clerk was quick to let me know that they did not have my skin shade. The message is loud and clear. Dark women are not even valued enough to have makeup made in our skin shade.

Black models will never be 'in' as long as white supremacy is in existence. I am not looking outward for validation; but it would be nice to see women that shared my color on the cover of magazines.

Sometimes its best to try seeking out the solutions to your concerns before simply lashing out.

MAC, Bobby Brown, Bare Minerals and Nars offer great options for darker complexions.

And as for Black models, the fashion industry is not currently 'featuring' a high percentage of women of color on the runway but there are many Black models who are of note.

Chanel Iman
Liya Kebede
Jourdan Dunn
Sessilee Lopez
Ujjwala Raut
 
Old 10-25-2010, 01:23 AM
 
Location: Retirementland
1,234 posts, read 2,401,620 times
Reputation: 829
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eboni_Kisses26 View Post
I don't think you can compare Hispanic and Asian women to Black women. First, most Latinas and Asians are closer to white in appearance (in terms of color, and/or hair type). I have known several Mestizo and white Hispanic women. I've also known several white colored Asians who have no problems finding makeup to match their shades.

Also, I'm just curious, if CVS is not the place to find black makeup, where does one find it? Let me guess, I should try a specialty store. LOL, I actually went into a lacome makeup store and inquired about finding my shade. The Latina makeup clerk was quick to let me know that they did not have my skin shade. The message is loud and clear. Dark women are not even valued enough to have makeup made in our skin shade.

Black models will never be 'in' as long as white supremacy is in existence. I am not looking outward for validation; but it would be nice to see women that shared my color on the cover of magazines.
Oh for crying out loud.

1. White supremacists hate Hispanics and Asians too. Don't forget Indians and Native Americans.

2. No, you need to find a makeup brand that actually caters towards darker tones, just like I have to use makeup catered towards those of us who are paper white.

3. I don't think you understand the way photography works. The reason why black models aren't popular cover models isn't because the photographer is all "blah blah I hate blacks blah blah I'm a racist jerk." It's because it's difficult to photograph dark skin. That isn't saying "dark skin is ugly," it's not saying "white power," it's not anything to do with race relations or anything of the sort. The model will have to have very specific lighting, which will likely melt her makeup, which won't make a good photo.
 
Old 10-25-2010, 01:36 AM
 
Location: La lune et les étoiles
17,414 posts, read 18,325,371 times
Reputation: 18594
Quote:
Originally Posted by emi__ View Post
Oh for crying out loud.

1. White supremacists hate Hispanics and Asians too. Don't forget Indians and Native Americans.

2. No, you need to find a makeup brand that actually caters towards darker tones, just like I have to use makeup catered towards those of us who are paper white.

3. I don't think you understand the way photography works. The reason why black models aren't popular cover models isn't because the photographer is all "blah blah I hate blacks blah blah I'm a racist jerk." It's because it's difficult to photograph dark skin. That isn't saying "dark skin is ugly," it's not saying "white power," it's not anything to do with race relations or anything of the sort. The model will have to have very specific lighting, which will likely melt her makeup, which won't make a good photo.
This is portion of the comment is just off. Photographing darker complexions does not require lighting that would melt a model's makeup off. Its all about simulating more natural light and using angles to capture features better from both sides. Not a big deal.
 
Old 10-25-2010, 07:50 AM
 
Location: Silver Springs, FL
23,440 posts, read 30,691,045 times
Reputation: 15560
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eboni_Kisses26 View Post
The reason why, is because of white supremacy throughout the globe. The only time in which race/color won't truly matter is after you die. Whites in general have done a stellar job convincing black, brown and yellow people that they are better and therefore should ALWAYS be preferred.

I am trying not to develop the same level of hate that most whites have for blacks, but in truth, it's getting more and more difficult; due to widespread bigotry.
I'm sure (insert black female role model name here) cries into her pillow every night over the same thing.
Put your big girl panties on, and get on with your life.
Life is truly what you make it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top