Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2010, 12:27 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,682,985 times

Advertisements

snopes.com: Tommy Hilfiger Racism Rumor

Old 10-25-2010, 12:30 PM

532 posts, read 1,176,714 times
Ay. I hate when people use their race to cry woe is me. Stop hanging on all the negativity in your life and be proud of who you are. Screw haters. You think only Blacks have it so bad? Have you been even watching the news lately about the immigration laws and problems it's causing for the Hispanics? And no, this isn't a new issue for them either. They are most definitely dealt a raw, crap hand right now. I may get crap for saying this, but I hear this from (especially) black women all the time about how their race is the only one who has known what a bad time they have had with regards to discrimination and racism. Hello, Native Americans? Irish? Hispanics?

Magazines as someone said are not reality. They perpetuate an unhealthy standard that nobody can live up to. If you aren't looking to them for your measure of beauty, then stop getting so upset about their representation.

Old 10-25-2010, 12:37 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,446,589 times
When I look at a magazine cover I just see beautiful women, I don't catagorize the beauty as white, black or whatever.

In case you hadn't noticed, Asians aren't gracing the covers of any fashion or beauty magazines.

I think it's safe to say you should be satisfied with the representation that you DO have.

Old 10-25-2010, 01:41 PM

22,566 posts, read 47,614,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poptones View Post
Wow hon, you have issues. I'm sorry.

Beauty don't come from a magazine cover, it comes from within. I hope you can find yours.

Old 10-25-2010, 02:39 PM

8,002 posts, read 18,601,320 times
Where are all the fashion magazines that cater to Sicilian women??

Old 10-25-2010, 03:42 PM

783 posts, read 2,257,038 times
She simply wasn't using the correct techniques (placement of lighting, correct amount of lighting, angles, etc) in order to photograph Black skin (or darker skin); it requires a bit of added knowledge to get it right to capture a great image.

Nothing "simple" about it. And it's not just a matter of adding a few lights here or there. I worked with one woman, a tall beautiful woman with VERY dark skin. She had a diverse portfolio and even her portfolio made it very hard to place her. In very light clothes she looked like one of those negative stereotypes where all you see is eyeballs and teeth. Yeah, that's offensive - so imagine being a photographer having to work with that. What do you do? You put her in dark clothes. But dark clothes aren't always possible.

Go to an auto show and look for black cars. You won't find many even though black cars are fairly popular on the street. Why? Because black hides much of the detail and line of the car. Colors highlight the detail with shifting hue.

A model is a piece of furniture. It really is simple as that. When you are having to rent a piece of furniture at several hundred to several thousand dollars a day, you want the furniture that looks best in ALL the settings you have planned for it.

Have any of you worked under photography lights before? Yeah we have air conditioning now but it's not always effective. I have a 15x30 foot living room with ten foot ceilings and I can just about heat my living room with ONE 500W umbrella. But it's not really so much the heat, as it's simply harder to properly light very dark skin. Does that mean Naomi Campbell and Grace Jones had to beg for work? No - but they were Naomi Campbell and Grace Jones.

Old 10-25-2010, 04:51 PM

7,364 posts, read 14,670,185 times
Honestly, I think magazines have it right these days.

As for makeup, I haven't bought drugstore makeup in a number of years, but you have to understand those are public companies you are complaining about. They don't give an F if you are green - if enough green people shop in a location, they will carry green makeup. It's a business decision, don't take it personally.

Old 10-25-2010, 05:59 PM

72 posts, read 135,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OngletNYC View Post
Honestly, I think magazines have it right these days.

As for makeup, I haven't bought drugstore makeup in a number of years, but you have to understand those are public companies you are complaining about. They don't give an F if you are green - if enough green people shop in a location, they will carry green makeup. It's a business decision, don't take it personally.
Yes, but the question is, why is there a plethora of makeup available in white shades (even when whites aren't a part of the community/neighborhood)? I've ventured to all black areas. The drug stores (despite not having practically any white people in the community) manage to have elaborate displays of white women centered advertisement in the makeup aisles and surprisingly a greater array of makeup for white women, than ethnic women; despite the fact that NO white women are present.

How is this a business decision?

Old 10-25-2010, 06:11 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,522,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinm View Post
Maybe it is because the major fashion houses in the world do not design their clothing with black women in mind.

I remember when Tommy Hilfiger was on the Oprah show a few years ago and told her flat out that "I don't want blacks to buy my clothes".
I wish that people would stop spreading this stupid (and false) rumor. The same rumor was started aboyt Liz Claiborne not wanting Black women to buy her clothes. Both are false.

Oprah herself has stated that this never happened.

Memorable Guests and Setting It Straight - Oprah.com

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cEvmorn07Hs

Old 10-25-2010, 06:17 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,522,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eboni_Kisses26 View Post
Yes, but the question is, why is there a plethora of makeup available in white shades (even when whites aren't a part of the community/neighborhood)? I've ventured to all black areas. The drug stores (despite not having practically any white people in the community) manage to have elaborate displays of white women centered advertisement in the makeup aisles and surprisingly a greater array of makeup for white women, than ethnic women; despite the fact that NO white women are present.

How is this a business decision?
1) Whites are about 75% of the US population

2) If the "White" cosmetics are not selling then the store owner will lose business, so obviously someone is buying it.

3) If someone does not like the practices, inventory selection and/or the treatment that they receive from a particular establishment they are free to patronize elsewhere.

4) If storeowners see a need, they usually make an attempt to accomodate requests (it means more revenue for them so why wouldn't they?)

5) If a store owner sees certain individuals as a nuisance, they would rather not have that business and avoid the aggravation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty