U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 10-25-2010, 09:01 PM
 
Location: NYC
7,371 posts, read 12,369,098 times
Reputation: 10300

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eboni_Kisses26 View Post
I'm waiting for one Black/Hispanic person to say that I've made this up. Anyone who has ever lived in a predominately Black/Hispanic neighborhood knows that this is true.

I've always wondered why there is such an elaborate display of makeup for white women, when there aren't any whites in the immediate community...

I have already done so on this thread. You are inventing this; it is mostly in your head.

 
Old 10-25-2010, 09:11 PM
 
Location: Silver Springs, FL
23,440 posts, read 30,757,147 times
Reputation: 15560
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eboni_Kisses26 View Post
LOL, umm yeah if you say so...

People of color know that what I'm saying is true. You can venture to any black area/drug store and see countless makeup for white women, despite the fact that very few white women are there...

and it wasn't the decision of some 'random' marketing person...either
I used to work for Revson, the parent company of Revlon back in the 70s and 80s, trust me, the marketing people werent sitting around thinking up marketing plans to p*ss black chicks off.
I sure dont see any other women of color jumping on your bandwagon here.
 
Old 10-25-2010, 09:12 PM
 
1,055 posts, read 2,062,451 times
Reputation: 1216
I'm a BW, but I not only wish that there were more BW in mainstream magazines and in fashion in general, but Asians, hispanics, etc. In fact, I would like to also see different types of white people in them as well. Most of these magazines try to go for a certain "look" of white woman, and I think it is unfair to the other white women who don't look like that.

Having a mainstream magazine with everyone included would be awesome.

With the OP, I agree there isn't much makeup for black skin when it comes to foundations and such, but I see lots of other women
that have the same problem with makeup colors too. Some powders look ashy on my skin, and my white roommate has to watch out how
much foundation she puts on or she starts to look ghoulish.
 
Old 10-25-2010, 09:14 PM
 
Location: North of the border!
662 posts, read 1,046,594 times
Reputation: 1297
Great thread, totally about race. Fashion is the Halloween costume!
 
Old 10-26-2010, 01:04 AM
 
3,668 posts, read 5,757,641 times
Reputation: 1786
If you don't like a magazine for whatever reasons then don't buy it.

If you feel a certain demographic is under represented then start your own magazine or cosmetics company.

Fact is they have to appeal to their target demographic to sell the most they possibly can. To think they have a job beyond this, especially to make everything politically correct, is just going after the wrong people.

If they were to change their presentation to appeal to special interest groups they might lose their mainstream subscribers.

I have no issue with most fashion magazines even if they have relatively few old, overweight, or persons of color. Most people are not going to have any issues with fashion magainzes either because most people have a choice to not buy into or pick up things they have issues with.
 
Old 10-26-2010, 04:16 AM
 
3,668 posts, read 5,757,641 times
Reputation: 1786
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eboni_Kisses26 View Post
LOL, umm yeah if you say so...

People of color know that what I'm saying is true. You can venture to any black area/drug store and see countless makeup for white women, despite the fact that very few white women are there...

and it wasn't the decision of some 'random' marketing person...either
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eboni_Kisses26 View Post
Ok, seriously, who in Bedstuy or the South Bronx is buying Caucasian makeup? If you go to any of the local community drugs stores, you will find a plethora of makeup geared at fair skinned women.

Also, people who live in the inner city do not (always) have access to a wide variety of stores. They may only have 1 or 2 drug stores in their immediate vicinity. Why should these people be looked at as a nuisance, simply for requesting adequate representation of supplies that accommodate the primary buyers within a given community?
Have you or they requested this? Not of this forum but of your local drugstore manager or assistant manager? They most likely either do the orders for inventory themselves or are the supervisor of the person who does order inventory. Usually what sells best is ordered but they cannot stock items that they do not even know are in demand. Demand them!

AFAIK gentrification has also occured in both Bed-Stuy and SoBro.
 
Old 10-26-2010, 07:36 AM
 
Location: The Hall of Justice
25,907 posts, read 35,133,939 times
Reputation: 42377
Quote:
Originally Posted by OngletNYC View Post
You are essentially claiming that your local drug store stocks makeup for white women in an area with NO white women, and as such aren't selling any makeup at all, because they are racists against the black clientele who are actually there to spend money. Come on.
Exactly. A store's goal is to make money. Why would they deliberately stock items that won't sell and not stock items that will sell? That's ridiculous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marissy View Post
With the OP, I agree there isn't much makeup for black skin when it comes to foundations and such, but I see lots of other women that have the same problem with makeup colors too. Some powders look ashy on my skin, and my white roommate has to watch out how
much foundation she puts on or she starts to look ghoulish.
I have trouble finding drugstore foundation and powder because I am pale with blotchy skin and freckles. Liquid foundation either makes my face yellow and masklike, or ghastly white. I was going to suggest Bare Minerals, the first makeup I think I've ever really loved, but if ashy skin is a possibility then maybe not. Still, if there's an Ulta in your area, OP, I'd give it a try. They have "drugstore" makeup (Revlon, Cover Girl, etc.) as well as higher end cosmetics. They have an amazing selection and reasonable prices.
 
Old 10-26-2010, 09:30 AM
EB2
 
Location: Florida
1,927 posts, read 5,351,506 times
Reputation: 1047
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
People vote with their dollars....if no one is buying it the store owner loses money.

If you live in the NYC area you have PLENTY of other options for buying the proper cosmetics. Seriously, its NYC not North Dakota.
This! Not even just that, but traveling isn't a hard thing to do, somewhere like that.

OP. You're black. Wonderful. So are lots of other people. Guess what? I'm of mixed heritage (yes, I am fair, but that's not the point). I don't make a hoopla about my different heritages not being on magazine covers. a.) it's not worth it. b.) I don't care. c.) companies market to make money. I take pride in who I am, regardless. And I doubt that there isn't black makeup in a black area. I've been to stores in black areas, and most things, even down to the food, are items that the black community would buy. The reverse applies to a community that is white. Or poor. or rich. or rural. or urban. or suburban..... and so on.

AND if the stores really aren't carrying your products....well, I do assume you have a voice, and can approach the store manager in a kind and polite manner. Many places are willing to order based on request.
 
Old 10-26-2010, 09:34 AM
EB2
 
Location: Florida
1,927 posts, read 5,351,506 times
Reputation: 1047
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marissy View Post
I'm a BW, but I not only wish that there were more BW in mainstream magazines and in fashion in general, but Asians, hispanics, etc. In fact, I would like to also see different types of white people in them as well. Most of these magazines try to go for a certain "look" of white woman, and I think it is unfair to the other white women who don't look like that.

Having a mainstream magazine with everyone included would be awesome.

With the OP, I agree there isn't much makeup for black skin when it comes to foundations and such, but I see lots of other women
that have the same problem with makeup colors too. Some powders look ashy on my skin, and my white roommate has to watch out how
much foundation she puts on or she starts to look ghoulish.
Exactly. It's not race specific. Foundation is generally an issue for most people, anyway. If I tan the tiniest bit, I have to change mine. I've given up on buying it. Just yesterday, i realized the foundation that i bought over summer (in which I spent little time outside) is now too dark for me (as most are). The other problem? matching "white" skin tones. Most are either too yellow (deathly look), or too pink (just weird), or too orangey (who wants to look like an oompa-loompa?)
 
Old 10-26-2010, 10:04 AM
 
Location: Land of Thought and Flow
8,323 posts, read 13,191,420 times
Reputation: 4865
Quote:
Originally Posted by EB2 View Post
Exactly. It's not race specific. Foundation is generally an issue for most people, anyway. If I tan the tiniest bit, I have to change mine. I've given up on buying it. Just yesterday, i realized the foundation that i bought over summer (in which I spent little time outside) is now too dark for me (as most are). The other problem? matching "white" skin tones. Most are either too yellow (deathly look), or too pink (just weird), or too orangey (who wants to look like an oompa-loompa?)
Trying to find the most porcelain or ivory is a pain. And even if the store has the space for it, nine times out of ten, it's not in stock. Problem is, at least in my area, is that the Oompa-Loompa looks is more popular, so stores carry more of those.

To the OP, there are lines of makeup geared towards "men and women of color" - Black Opal, for instance. Yeah, it stinks that they have to have a line and/or brand to specifically cater to your darker skin. However, please try to put yourself into the shoes of somebody who (like you) cannot find foundation from "normal" brands, yet have no brand centered around their skin complexion. You'll find that we're all riding in the same boat, really.

As for fashion magazines, who cares if the model is black, white, red, orange, yellow, green, blue, indigo, or violet?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top