U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2010, 03:11 PM

532 posts, read 982,301 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EB2 View Post
Exactly. It's not race specific. Foundation is generally an issue for most people, anyway. If I tan the tiniest bit, I have to change mine. I've given up on buying it. Just yesterday, i realized the foundation that i bought over summer (in which I spent little time outside) is now too dark for me (as most are). The other problem? matching "white" skin tones. Most are either too yellow (deathly look), or too pink (just weird), or too orangey (who wants to look like an oompa-loompa?)
Well, there are those crazy Jersey Shore kids....

Old 10-27-2010, 10:02 AM

7,371 posts, read 5,694,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marissy View Post
I'm a BW, but I not only wish that there were more BW in mainstream magazines and in fashion in general, but Asians, hispanics, etc. In fact, I would like to also see different types of white people in them as well. Most of these magazines try to go for a certain "look" of white woman, and I think it is unfair to the other white women who don't look like that.

Having a mainstream magazine with everyone included would be awesome.

With the OP, I agree there isn't much makeup for black skin when it comes to foundations and such, but I see lots of other women
that have the same problem with makeup colors too. Some powders look ashy on my skin, and my white roommate has to watch out how
much foundation she puts on or she starts to look ghoulish.
We all struggle with our own fashion issues, regardless of race and ethnicity. I have bought so many bottles of foundation in the wrong shade because of the lighting in the store. I agree that having a mainstream magazine with everyone would be awesome.

Old 10-27-2010, 10:06 AM

23,440 posts, read 30,718,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by taigagirl View Post
We all struggle with our own fashion issues, regardless of race and ethnicity. I have bought so many bottles of foundation in the wrong shade because of the lighting in the store. I agree that having a mainstream magazine with everyone would be awesome.
Lol, I wish I had all the $ I have spent on the wrong color foundation, I could take us all out for cocktails!
I agree about having a magazine that included everyone, not just someones narrow definition of beauty.

Old 10-27-2010, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eboni_Kisses26 View Post
Your statement screams of bigotry. In summary, you are stating that white women are more appealing to the eye.

If however, black women were featured in a respectable manner on high fashion magazine covers, some of the racism/bigotry would begin to lesson over time.
I have read through your threads this morning and I think that your posts have absolutely nothing to do with makeup. IMO, you have used the Fashion Forum to make a policital statement about ethnicity and race. Magazines exist to make money for their shareholders. Period.

Find happiness within yourself, and take responsibility for your own life. If you seriously believe that changing a few magazine covers is going to make a difference than I think you are wrong. Fashion magazines create many problems for women of every race by promoting the idea of the "perfect woman", which is something that they have done for decades. If I had a daughter I would want her to have self-respect and values to love herself for who she is. I would hardly want her emulating some underweight woman, who is portrayed as "perfect". Unfortunately, women of all races have to deal with this idealism everyday. No wonder there are so many young girls and women with poor body images.

Old 10-27-2010, 10:25 AM

3,668 posts, read 5,752,995 times
I don't think all the women on fashion magazines are underweight but it would seem so in a country where most of the women are overweight. In fact many are most likely in their own healthy weight range. Maybe overeating and not exercising is the greatest contributing factor that leads to poor body image but that is another thread. Still healthy living should also be part of ones value system.

This thread discussed a legitimate fashion concern, which admittedly is politicized but fashion at times is highly politicized, e.g., the thread where there is a law against miniskirts. It also seems everyone freely participated in this discussion and of course everyone was free not to participate.

Old 10-27-2010, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merovee View Post
I don't think all the women on fashion magazines are underweight but it would seem so in a country where most of the women are overweight. In fact many are most likely in their own healthy weight range. Maybe overeating and not exercising is the greatest contributing factor that leads to poor body image but that is another thread. Still healthy living should also be part of ones value system.

This thread discussed a legitimate fashion concern, which admittedly is politicized but fashion at times is highly politicized, e.g., the thread where there is a law against miniskirts. It also seems everyone freely participated in this discussion and of course everyone was free not to participate.
Merovee I would mostly agree with you. That being said, I am from a mixed race background (Aboriginal Canadian), and I don't see any conspiracies from "white people" against Aboriginal peoples in the fashion industry. It's about money. If there is an Aboriginal woman featured on a fashion magazine cover, I would like it to be about her accomplishments and achievements as a woman, just like anyone else. It is a political issue, but I don't think spewing comments about racism belong on a fashion forum.

Main point, I want to talk fashion, not ethnicity or race in a fashion forum. While the thread may have been started as a legitimate fashion thread, the OP in my opinion twisted it into a political issue.

I think threads like this one belong in a political fashion forum...maybe a whole new thread?

Old 10-27-2010, 10:54 AM

8,323 posts, read 13,178,582 times
And with that, this thread has run its course.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty