Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2010, 08:31 PM

23,416 posts, read 36,993,685 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ishouldknow View Post
Funny isn't it, how often race comes up in the OP's postings?
Yeah, I checked that out......interesting.

Old 10-24-2010, 08:35 PM

72 posts, read 135,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ishouldknow View Post
Funny isn't it, how often race comes up in the OP's postings?
Well unlike you, I don't have the luxury of simply being viewed as a human being in this world.

Old 10-24-2010, 08:42 PM

783 posts, read 2,257,634 times
Wow hon, you have issues. I'm sorry.

Beauty don't come from a magazine cover, it comes from within. I hope you can find yours.

Old 10-24-2010, 08:48 PM

6,612 posts, read 12,839,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eboni_Kisses26 View Post
In truth, I would like to see more black magazines like Essence and Ebony (perhaps an additional 12 or so).
But that's a different issue. More magazines devoted to blacks is a little different than more black cover models being used, no?

Old 10-24-2010, 08:50 PM

72 posts, read 135,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poptones View Post
Wow hon, you have issues. I'm sorry.

Beauty don't come from a magazine cover, it comes from within. I hope you can find yours.
I am not your 'hun.' Secondly, I know that beauty does not come from a magazine cover. My point is, the world is a very racist place; therefore my color is and will always be an issue. YOU as a white person have the luxury of not worrying about race; I HOWEVER, DO NOT HAVE THE SAME LUXURY.

Old 10-24-2010, 08:50 PM

To be honest as a VERY fair freckled redhead I find it hard to locate makeup with MY skintones (most seem to think I should be TANNED or white as a sheet), so I don't believe it's limited to one demographic.

Old 10-24-2010, 08:58 PM

783 posts, read 2,257,634 times
You said yourself you like the contrast between your skin tone and a white or latino guy. Yet I'm a bigot for pointing out this EXACT sensibility is more likely the prime factor in the issue of this discussion? It's ok for you to be able to appreciate differences in skin tone but not the rest of us?

As I pointed out numerous times already, this is NOT just an american thing. Even in the "brown" parts of the world fair skin models get most of the gigs. They're still of the same RACE they just have lighter skin. Get it?

Old 10-24-2010, 09:01 PM

23,416 posts, read 36,993,685 times
Quote:
I am not your 'hun.' Secondly, I know that beauty does not come from a magazine cover. My point is, the world is a very racist place; therefore my color is and will always be an issue. YOU as a white person have the luxury of not worrying about race; I HOWEVER, DO NOT HAVE THE SAME LUXURY.
Just wait til you are over 50, all the magazines will ignore you, regardless of race.

Old 10-24-2010, 09:06 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,527,774 times
Quote:
I was recently in the airport, and I couldn't help but notice the countless number of magazines with white women. I did not see any magazine's besides Oprah and Essence with black faces gracing the cover. Sadly, young black girls will not get the opportunity to see themselves represented, and young black boys will continue to be socialized to believe that other races of women (primarily white) are prettier and more valuable. It's extremely disturbing.

For this reason, I really take issue with the idea that black magazines such as Essence are discriminatory, since they cater to blacks. Without this magazine, black women would NOT be represented at all. Do whites really think it's fair that other races of women have 0 representation? I guess, most do not care.

On another note, as a dark woman, I often find it difficult to find foundation which matches my skin color. I once mentioned this to a CVS store manager, and he kindly informed me that I was shopping in a mostly white area, so the makeup is intended to cater to white women.

Interestingly however, when I shop in black neighborhoods, I notice that there's always a plethora of makeup available in almost every shade for white women (despite the relatively low/non existent number of white women in the community). This issue really bothers me. Why is it that even in all black areas, there's ample foundation colors and makeup available for white women?
Regarding makeup for black skin it is all about supply and demand....nothing more and nothing less. (Plus, if you have a darker complexion CVS is really not the place to shop for foundation that looks great and covers the undertone variations in Black skin)

As for the magazines, fashion is cyclical. Black models (and other ethnic models) are not "in" right now. This is what prompted the "Black" issue of Italian vogue to highlight the lack of women of color on the designer's runways.

Italian Vogue's "All Black" Issue: A Guided Tour

Black Fashion Industry Insiders Ask: Where Are The Black Models?

There are not now and never have been a great number of Asians and/or Hispanic women gracing the covers of fashion magazines yet that fact does not diminish their beauty either. We need to look within and not outward for validation of our beauty.

Old 10-24-2010, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
Just wait til you are over 50, all the magazines will ignore you, regardless of race.
Unless you're a male movie actor/aging rock star that is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty