U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2010, 10:25 PM

15,561 posts, read 29,309,085 times

Advertisements

Oh dear you guys. They are all such wonderful answers. But it's just so "not me". I would feel like I was wearing a costume and very unnatural and uncomfortable.

The business I am going into is a pseudo-medical type (ladies spa), so maybe I can get away with wearing a lab coat over a pair of scrubs or something. I just cannot see me in those lovely clothes you describe. I just couldn't do it.

How do you like the idea of nice jeans with leg warmers and nice boots over a sweater? How does that sound? doable? (I will be outside a lot this winter making sales calls.)

20yrsinBranson
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2010, 10:33 PM

18,856 posts, read 30,537,182 times
Tacky. If you are making sales calls, and want respect, dress that way. That means wearing a suit, or a nice outfit, black pants, black jacket, scarf, sweater, nice boots. Please do not come into my office looking like you are going to clean out a barn. I would not give you the time of day. I am very busy, so if you want to sell me something, please look like someone worth my time to talk to.

If you want to continue your "I don't care about fashion" hippy lifestyle...continue to do so, but do not expect to be treated like a professional unless you are going to dress the part. Scrubs and a white coat...please!

Why did you ask for professional advice regarding career wear if you were going to completely dismiss everything that was said? Did you seriously think that we would say, "wear jeans, and a t shirt, or a long skirt with a vest"...forget about it.

Last edited by jasper12; 11-01-2010 at 10:46 PM.. Reason: edit.

Old 11-01-2010, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
Tacky. If you are making sales calls, and want respect, dress that way. That means wearing a suit, or a nice outfit, black pants, black jacket, scarf, sweater, nice boots. Please do not come into my office looking like you are going to clean out a barn. I would not give you the time of day. I am very busy, so if you want to sell me something, please look like someone worth my time to talk to.

If you want to continue your "I don't care about fashion" hippy lifestyle...continue to do so, but do not expect to be treated like a professional unless you are going to dress the part. Scrubs and a white coat...please!

Why did you ask for professional advice regarding career wear if you were going to completely dismiss everything that was said? Did you seriously think that we would say, "wear jeans, and a t shirt, or a long skirt with a vest"...forget about it.
Well, I was hoping to find a happy medium. Something I could look nice in and yet be comfortable. I have worn my share of suits in my day and I have never felt confident in them. I always feel like an imposter that is going to be laughed at.

I think a lot of the problem is my weight. I have always felt that fat people look ridiculous in business suits. I am working on slimming down, but I still need to find something "elegantly casual" to wear until I get to the point where I don't look and feel like the Pillsbury DoughGirl.

20yrsinBranson

Old 11-01-2010, 11:25 PM

4,486 posts, read 4,340,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
I am an overweight, middle aged lady with a very young spirit. Soon I will be in a position where I will be meeting with and talking to people who are fashion conscious.

Up until now, my "style" has been blue jeans and t-shirts, but this is not going to help me be successful in the "market". So I am going to have to adopt a more striking fashion style.

Now, I do not have to look "professional" (which is decidedly NOT me), but it has to be "something". I prefer the "earth mother" type look (long, gauzey skirt, lots of layers, colors and vest), or perhaps the "annie hall" type look.

Comfort is important. No panty hose PLEASE!. No high heals. No tight, constricting things. (I don't have the figure for tight, anyway).

I am 5'4 and weigh 180. I have large breasts, but otherwise an fairly well proportioned. I intend to keep my hair "longish" and wear it in a soft, curly, natural style.

I will be talking to models, photographers, business people, sales people. And I have to have a look that will make them take me seriously.

Can you fashionistas out there give me some ideas as far as wardrobe choices *especially for winter*.

thanks to all who respond.

20yrsinBranson
Check out PyramidCollection.com. Being the hippie type, I love their clothing. They have a varied selection of styles and they also carry "Goddess " sizes.

Old 11-01-2010, 11:34 PM

21,164 posts, read 22,173,148 times
You do not have to wear a suit but you do have to look nice and put together. Not jeans and a sweater. Clothes that fit properly will not feel tight or constricting. They also will not feel like sweats or pyjamas....I have to agree that you cannot expect people to afford you the respect due a professional when you don't want to show that same respect to your clientele by taking the time and effort to present yourself in a way that looks like it took a modicum of time and effort. You know this or you wouldn't have asked in the first place.

Old 11-01-2010, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pamelaBeurman View Post
Check out PyramidCollection.com. Being the hippie type, I love their clothing. They have a varied selection of styles and they also carry "Goddess " sizes.
Oh my, they are very, very nice. Pity they don't have any fairie business suits there. Thank you for the link.

20yrsinBranson

Old 11-01-2010, 11:42 PM

1,500 posts, read 2,335,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
Oh dear you guys. They are all such wonderful answers. But it's just so "not me". I would feel like I was wearing a costume and very unnatural and uncomfortable.

The business I am going into is a pseudo-medical type (ladies spa), so maybe I can get away with wearing a lab coat over a pair of scrubs or something. I just cannot see me in those lovely clothes you describe. I just couldn't do it.

How do you like the idea of nice jeans with leg warmers and nice boots over a sweater? How does that sound? doable? (I will be outside a lot this winter making sales calls.)

20yrsinBranson

You are a put-on,yes?
You are querying us in a laughable fashion, yes? Is THIS what 20 years in Branson has done to you?
Could I ask you if there's anyone left there at home to help you wipe? Are you testosteron-ally starved, callng out to "dear guys"?
Hello, is this America?- If, by truth trial, you are found to be that honest reflection of your profile, I laud you for your twenty years in,
ANYTHING.

Old 11-01-2010, 11:45 PM

21,164 posts, read 22,173,148 times

Just went to the Chico's link posted by a previous poster.....these looks all look nice and put together. Pair them with pants that fit well (not tight, not baggy) and nice shoes or boots. Professional, not a suit.

Old 11-02-2010, 07:27 AM

34,769 posts, read 42,901,587 times
No one has mentioned Coldwater Creek yet. There you can find comfortable, colorful clothing. I am a bit fatter around the middle than I would like to be, and I find that a jacket is the best way of camouflaging my middle.
If I were you I would find some very well tailored slacks, a few tops and jackets and confine your hippy urges with some funky and fun necklaces. Don't make the mistake of confusing comfort with what looks good, but you can be comfortable and still be pulled together.

Old 11-02-2010, 08:34 AM

7,371 posts, read 5,690,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post

Just went to the Chico's link posted by a previous poster.....these looks all look nice and put together. Pair them with pants that fit well (not tight, not baggy) and nice shoes or boots. Professional, not a suit.

Great looks, nice but nothing over the top!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty