U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2010, 06:10 PM

8,039 posts, read 3,854,332 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by taigagirl View Post
I think it is very to define one self at times, especially if one is used to a particular style and has gotten used to a "signature" look. Also, I have found that dressing can be very regional. Very example, whenever I visit my home community which is very rural, I really feel that I am overdressed, but I don't like to look dowdy which is how I think some of the people in my old community live. It's not just clothing, it's also about her location.
From reading her post and her screen name I gathered she lived in or near the Branson area. As I stated in my earlier post I also lived in that area for a number of years and yes some of it is rural however there are still professional businesses located there. One can define themselves in many ways and still look professional and polished.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2010, 06:25 PM

7,371 posts, read 5,681,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
Those are very nice pictures. I could never handle all that crap hanging around my neck though. It would get caught on EVERYTHING. I am convinced that people who look like this never actually DO anything except stand around and look pretty. It is NOT very practical for an active person.

20yrsinBranson
I think some posters would have a better idea of what you consider appropriate for your new position, if we knew what type of work you will be doing. Also, size has nothing to do with beauty, which I feel is an inner thing. Your main goal here should be to look competent and well dressed for the position you will be doing.

Old 11-02-2010, 07:01 PM

[quote=Merovee;16494842]A somewhat friend showed me this site years ago. It is very witchy ^_^

I recommend Sundance, not witchy, but there is this free spirit feeling to them. Bought a couple of items for my wife and they are quality.

http://w

ww.sundancecatalog.com/
[/QUOTE

Thanks for posting, Merovee. Very pretty clothing.

Old 11-03-2010, 03:33 AM

3,668 posts, read 5,735,489 times
Thanks. As a small note Robert Redford is the name behind the catalog, the founder. Some of the stuff can be pricey but they always have a few sale selections.

Old 11-03-2010, 06:27 AM

31,165 posts, read 57,302,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
I think a lot of the problem is my weight. I have always felt that fat people look ridiculous in business suits.
Horse hockey! If the suit fits properly and suits a body's proportions, it's not going to look ridiculous.

I'm a big fan of Lands End and Coldwater Creek. The former gives me more bang for my buck; the latter has more variety. The clothes fit well, are appropriate for my casual office, and are pretty sturdy.

Old 11-03-2010, 06:55 AM

4,486 posts, read 4,332,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Horse hockey! If the suit fits properly and suits a body's proportions, it's not going to look ridiculous.

I'm a big fan of Lands End and Coldwater Creek. The former gives me more bang for my buck; the latter has more variety. The clothes fit well, are appropriate for my casual office, and are pretty sturdy.
Kudos on the Lands End! Love their quality,but let's not forget the other guys in MY life, LL Bean and Eddie Bauer. Nice,quality clothing! Sturdy and built to take it but in classic,tailored styles. Can't beat the guaranty either!!!

DH is in construction and I work the farm. We have clothing from both companies and it's hard to wear out. It's not just for the outdoors types anymore!

Old 11-03-2010, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tookey View Post
From reading her post and her screen name I gathered she lived in or near the Branson area. As I stated in my earlier post I also lived in that area for a number of years and yes some of it is rural however there are still professional businesses located there. One can define themselves in many ways and still look professional and polished.
I agree. When my son was very small I occasionally would take term positions to get some adult time, or whatever. I remember once I was hired to work in a government welfare office as a case worker. One of my friend's commented that it was hard to tell the workers from the clients whenever she walked by their offices (which were large) because most of the staff just looked really mismatched and unkept. Some of the staff were always telling me to "dress down" so I would fit in. I never did, and I managed just fine.

Old 11-03-2010, 08:38 AM

8,039 posts, read 3,854,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by taigagirl View Post
I agree. When my son was very small I occasionally would take term positions to get some adult time, or whatever. I remember once I was hired to work in a government welfare office as a case worker. One of my friend's commented that it was hard to tell the workers from the clients whenever she walked by their offices (which were large) because most of the staff just looked really mismatched and unkept. Some of the staff were always telling me to "dress down" so I would fit in. I never did, and I managed just fine.
Good for you for not "dressing down". I think dressing in an appropriate and professional manner not only commands respect but also inspires others to do so.

Old 11-03-2010, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pamelaBeurman View Post
Kudos on the Lands End! Love their quality,but let's not forget the other guys in MY life, LL Bean and Eddie Bauer. Nice,quality clothing! Sturdy and built to take it but in classic,tailored styles. Can't beat the guaranty either!!!

DH is in construction and I work the farm. We have clothing from both companies and it's hard to wear out. It's not just for the outdoors types anymore!
I used to love Eddie Bauer and I still buy it. However I have found at least in the GWN (Canada) that the quality of the women's clothing has dropped. I still really like the men's stuff though, and feel the quality has stayed the same. Those flannel lined jeans are to die for when it's -30 F (or lower).

Old 11-03-2010, 03:07 PM

15,527 posts, read 29,240,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
I understand the OP problem, I have a very professional job, but have to work hard...so wearing a fancy suit, with high heels is not going to work for me. I can't wear jeans, I work in the medical field, not okay...maybe in Montana, but not on the East Coast. My "compromise" has been NYDJ, they make them in brown, black, green all different colors, very nice looking pants. I wear a nice top, even a long black tee shirt from Old Navy looks pretty good with a long sweater jacket over it, with a big pearl necklace. I wear comfortable shoes, usually Clarks. So, I look "put together", work hard, and am comfy, and I don't spend tons of money on clothes either.
Thank you Jasper12, I think this is more of what I was looking for. I guess that using the term "professional" was a mistake. I wish I had a nickel for every "professional" person (doctor, lawyer, etc.,) that I have spoken with who was wearing jeans! In fact, I used to work FOR a lawyer who, as well as I can recall, never wore anything EXCEPT jeans unless he was appearing in court.

I am not sure if this area is just more accepting of casual attire or perhaps there is less pressure to conform to the trendy, upscale styles that most of the posters here have mentioned. I always forget that here on CITY-data, that most of the people in this entire country (90 percent, to be exact), live in cities of 100,000 or greater. I have often been taken aback by responses on other forums here which would indicate that big city life is very, very, very different than the life I enjoy in my little town of 6,000 or so.

Anyway, I LIKE your ideas. I believe that you can look good and be comforatable too. There is no way I could possibly be confident trying to sell something dressed up like Ivana Trump! And since most of the people I am going to be dealing with are small town folks too, I think they would be more impressed and comfortable with someone who looks/dresses more like them than someone dressing in a power suit.

Thanks for your response. I appreciate everyone's reply, but I think you understand me better than anyone else, so far. LOL

20yrsinBranson

Last edited by 20yrsinBranson; 11-03-2010 at 03:08 PM.. Reason: typo
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty