U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2010, 12:09 PM

8,039 posts, read 3,854,332 times

Advertisements

I agree with Macie, I for one got alot of great ideas from this thread for my own use.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2010, 12:23 PM

991 posts, read 1,953,759 times
How does the saying go? Dress impeccably, they notice the woman; dress sloppily they notice the dress?

If nothing else, be extremely well groomed: hair, nails, eyebrows, teeth...be clean. Smile, be confident. Make sure the clothes fit appropriately. As long as you look good, you'll feel good.

You'd be surprised what a nice, tasteful outfit will do for one's confidence.

Old 11-04-2010, 01:00 PM

7,371 posts, read 5,681,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
Honestly, as it is the OP's own company she represents, she can choose to present herself any way she wants to..

I just don't know why she asked for ideas if all she was going to do is shoot people down.

I'd like to loose a bit of extra weight myself but I still have to get dressed for work ....jeans can be worn on Fridays only. And I don't see clients.

I think everyone gave great suggestions and took into consideration the OPs request of no suits, high heels, hose etc. Appropriate business wear has changed a lot and can be quite casual...Dockers (and other similar mfrs) make khakis that don't have to be ironed and come in many colors and fits to accomodate a variety of shapes; Chicos has many pants and skirts that are elastic waisted (thus, not constricting) etc etc etc. I am having a hard time not chuckling over the comparison of these looks to something Ivana Trump might wear though....
As the owner of the company, the OP can dress as she sees fit. There were some great ideas to take forward. I hope she does well with her venture.

Old 11-04-2010, 02:35 PM

5,617 posts, read 13,391,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tightwad View Post
You sound like my wife who is also a BBW. She has learned to dress comfortable in loose slacks and loose flowing tops that use color and simple jewellery to make her shine. (she's still a fox to me! )

Color can do wonders when mixed and/or matched right. Try to stay in the same color family or use colors that complement each other to draw attention away from you to the colors you are wearing. Stay subdued but not plain to present yourself as a mature professional.

One thing that is really important........DRESS COMFORTABLLY IN LOOSE CLOTHING OR YOU WILL ALWAYS BE DISTRACTED FROM YOUR JOB. People will understand as long as you put them at ease being comfortable in your own skin.

Best of luck........
what a great thing to say about the wife!! God bless you, your a good man. Marilyn

Old 11-05-2010, 03:41 PM

1 posts, read 620 times
Lots of good opinions! I always tell people they should all have they're own "fashion identity"..Most importantly know who you are and be yourself. Look the part of your identity. It should convey the identity you have selected for yourself. Don’t be afraid to try and "step out of the box" and look like somebody, instead of trying to look like everybody else. Someone who isn't afraid to interpret style for themselves and make fashion their own is always going to look sexy. So find the latest trends that you like the most and then make them fit your unique style.

Old 11-06-2010, 05:27 PM

18,856 posts, read 30,455,105 times
That is true, and looking "professinoal" when you really have to work hard every day can be diffcult. I watch that show, "What Not to Wear" and wonder if those people are serious! I can't wear heels to work, I walk about 6 miles a day, maybe more...just running around the huge place where I work. I can't wear tennis shoes, that is for sure. And my job...I maybe crawling on the floor, under a desk, looking a the wires of a computer, then, meeting people to discuss contracts, then, working with someone who needs help walking, and is drooling. So...with those job duties, and more in one day...a suit is not goiing to do it. Nothing that needs to be dry clieaned, that is for sure. It can be difficult to look professional in a job with such varied duties.

What makes me laugh, is my assisant, she dresses all fancy, in a suit, with heels...like she is trying to "prove" that she is more professional than me or something...whatever...she sits behind a desk all day, and answers the phone...or whatever else I need help with. She cannot do my job, that is fine. But I think she likes to "look" down on me. She is thin, young, pretty...whatever...

Old 11-06-2010, 06:16 PM

7,371 posts, read 5,681,590 times
Stacey saying shut up all the time drives me crazy, I take What Not to Wear with a serious grain of salt, or two.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty