Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2010, 10:52 AM

15,852 posts, read 35,135,091 times

Advertisements

I am an overweight, middle aged lady with a very young spirit. Soon I will be in a position where I will be meeting with and talking to people who are fashion conscious.

Up until now, my "style" has been blue jeans and t-shirts, but this is not going to help me be successful in the "market". So I am going to have to adopt a more striking fashion style.

Now, I do not have to look "professional" (which is decidedly NOT me), but it has to be "something". I prefer the "earth mother" type look (long, gauzey skirt, lots of layers, colors and vest), or perhaps the "annie hall" type look.

Comfort is important. No panty hose PLEASE!. No high heals. No tight, constricting things. (I don't have the figure for tight, anyway).

I am 5'4 and weigh 180. I have large breasts, but otherwise an fairly well proportioned. I intend to keep my hair "longish" and wear it in a soft, curly, natural style.

I will be talking to models, photographers, business people, sales people. And I have to have a look that will make them take me seriously.

Can you fashionistas out there give me some ideas as far as wardrobe choices *especially for winter*.

thanks to all who respond.

20yrsinBranson
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2010, 02:15 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,458,432 times
As much as you like long gauzy skirts and the like, they tend to not be the most flattering thing on your body type (as described) - nor are they particularly professional looking (save them for casual shopping in resort towns or having margaritas on the patio). I would look for some nice, well fit pants or a skirt that hits right at or right below the knee. If you can wear boots that would look great with a skirt for fall and winter (low healed or flat is fine) With the pants some stylish but comfortable shoes (if you can find a pretty shoe that adds texture or color or something I would go with that). I would look for a simple sweater or blouse and some eye catching accessories (jewelry, scarves). That is a professional yet casual and comfortable look IMO. Simple elegant basics that fit well complimented with eye-catching jewelry, shoes, scarves. Add a nice bag and the look is complete.

Last edited by maciesmom; 10-31-2010 at 02:42 PM..

Old 10-31-2010, 03:09 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,681,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
I am an overweight, middle aged lady with a very young spirit. Soon I will be in a position where I will be meeting with and talking to people who are fashion conscious.

Up until now, my "style" has been blue jeans and t-shirts, but this is not going to help me be successful in the "market". So I am going to have to adopt a more striking fashion style.

Now, I do not have to look "professional" (which is decidedly NOT me), but it has to be "something". I prefer the "earth mother" type look (long, gauzey skirt, lots of layers, colors and vest), or perhaps the "annie hall" type look.

Comfort is important. No panty hose PLEASE!. No high heals. No tight, constricting things. (I don't have the figure for tight, anyway).

I am 5'4 and weigh 180. I have large breasts, but otherwise an fairly well proportioned. I intend to keep my hair "longish" and wear it in a soft, curly, natural style.

I will be talking to models, photographers, business people, sales people. And I have to have a look that will make them take me seriously.

Can you fashionistas out there give me some ideas as far as wardrobe choices *especially for winter*.

thanks to all who respond.

20yrsinBranson
You sound like my wife who is also a BBW. She has learned to dress comfortable in loose slacks and loose flowing tops that use color and simple jewellery to make her shine. (she's still a fox to me! )

Color can do wonders when mixed and/or matched right. Try to stay in the same color family or use colors that complement each other to draw attention away from you to the colors you are wearing. Stay subdued but not plain to present yourself as a mature professional.

One thing that is really important........DRESS COMFORTABLLY IN LOOSE CLOTHING OR YOU WILL ALWAYS BE DISTRACTED FROM YOUR JOB. People will understand as long as you put them at ease being comfortable in your own skin.

Best of luck........

Old 10-31-2010, 03:39 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,364,053 times
I think you need to go with some colors, and signature jewelery, and scarves. Go to Nordstrom's and get a personal shopper, they will help you with a few outfits. I would go with colorful blouses, jewel tones, lower cut, with black pants, and a black jacket, or black sweater.

Brown is a good color this year, brown skirt, shorter, with boots, and yes, some hose...and a cream sweater, with an orange scarf, larger gold earrings.

Don't do a long, flowing skirt, you are just too short for that, it will make you look shorter and fatter. Look powerful, and put together, you don't need the hippie look for business, it will make you look frumpy, and old ladyish, the opposite of what you want to be.

Old 10-31-2010, 06:23 PM

4,627 posts, read 10,472,373 times
If you can stand the insufferable commercials they stick in this site, you may find this interesting.

They actually have some excellent advice on style for those of us who are "stylistically challenged." Check out their videos for the specific concerns you had.

What Not To Wear Style Tips : Videos : TLC

EDIT: Oy, check out those before & after pics. I see way too much of myself in those 'before' shots thanks for this thread, because I could sure use their advice as well.

Old 10-31-2010, 07:07 PM

15,143 posts, read 27,785,743 times
I agree w/most of the posts: I think black fluid type slacks and longer, fluid jackets/cardigans and accessorize: make your signature a beautiful draped scarf or a great necklace, earrings....

Old 10-31-2010, 07:25 PM

1,603 posts, read 3,250,204 times
The best thing you can wear is confidence, belief that you're the best at what you do, and knowledge that you deserve to be there just like anyone else. you'll be fine - keep your chin up!

My personal belief, great accessories can really make a difference in any outfit. Oh, and a great fitting, tailored white blouse

Old 11-01-2010, 08:50 AM

29,745 posts, read 34,389,499 times
I'd say look at sites like JJill (Women's apparel, accessories, and footwear from J. Jill) and Chico's (Chico's - Women's Clothing & Accessories) for ideas. They carry a lot of things that are fashionable but not matronly.

Old 11-01-2010, 09:55 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,458,432 times
Oh...and if something fits properly, it should not be constricting. Being comfortable is important but do not use comfort as an excuse for loose, poorly fitting clothes. That can easily end up simply looking sloppy. In addition to the sites above, check out Coldwater Creek....they might have some things you'd like.

Old 11-01-2010, 01:54 PM

12,054 posts, read 23,349,004 times
Classic black pants, nice blazers, and blouses, along with classic dresses will make you look great and give you the confidence to speak to many types of people. Keep it simple but add nice jewelry and makeup. I am not a shopper, but I agree with finding a personal shopper. You don't say what your budget is, but look at Etcetera.com for some ideas. If you shop online, look at QVC.com and Susan Graver. Her line has some great slacks and some blazers with matching blouses. That's what I am wearing today and I always get compliments. Good luck on the new job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty