U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2010, 11:30 AM

3,668 posts, read 5,733,649 times

Advertisements

Plain Janes usually don't have to put much effort into their appearance because they are naturally attractive, just not stunningly beautiful to most, though I might disagree with most.

I also do not think they are out of style, just not trend chasers, pretty mainstream as far as style is concerned.

Not wearing makeup everyday means their skin will look more healthy and young when they are older.

Vera Farmiga is the ultimate Plain Jane and she is hawt as hell.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2010, 12:13 PM

955 posts, read 3,257,187 times
someone who completely blends into a crowd - you would not give them a second look either for being on the striking end of the spectrum or the opposite end.... average in every sense of the word, and there is nothing wrong with that!

Old 11-03-2010, 03:24 PM

2,788 posts, read 4,236,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikantari View Post
hmm. I have always considered myself a plain jane. Brown hair, brown eyes. No make up. I do think I am intelligent but not a dork..

Is a plain jane such a terribly awful thing?

You are cute..stay that way

Your looks remind of me of my oldest daughter she is 19

Theres a difference between a plain jane and adorable
Your in the adorable category

Old 11-04-2010, 06:45 AM

2,551 posts, read 3,761,316 times
Plain Janes:

1. Never gets a haircut/trim, never colors her hair, and never styles it (lives in a ponytail style always).

2. Wears only 1 type of clothes (i.e. jeans, t-shirts, and sneakers all the time. And never wears anything else).

3. Never wears makeup (no, I'm not saying wear makeup everyday, but on certain occasions it's good to put some on and put some pizzazz on ones looks).

4. Never goes out or does anything for fun.

5. Never or hardly ever goes shopping.

6. Is sometimes called the crazy lady of town (no, not all to them. But I know about 2 in my town).

Plain Joe's:

1. Wears only sneakers and jeans (you never see him in anything else).

2. Doesn't know how to talk to women (never around them much).

3. Drives the same beat up car or truck for years and never gets a new one.

4. He doesn't shave often and some have very long beards and mustaches (on some of them).

5. If he has long hair, he never gets it cut and just puts it in a ponytail. If he has short hair, he never styles it and it looks crazy, like he just got out of bed or something.

6. If he does go out, he drinks alone and sits at the end of the bar alone all the time (not social at all).

7. Goes to work and then go home (usually eats dinner and then to bed).

Old 11-04-2010, 07:27 PM

35,817 posts, read 39,334,463 times
No particular attention paid to appearance, or effort put into appearance.

Old 11-04-2010, 08:06 PM

23,440 posts, read 30,607,252 times
Saw the title of this thread, was instantly reminded of this song.......
(Sammy Hagar, Plain Jane)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hAJpu2zsVKA

Old 11-05-2010, 10:06 AM

5,412 posts, read 8,277,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by f1000 View Post
What are some characteristics or qualities that define a "Plain Jane" (or "Average Joe")?
Hair - Dull, medium brown, straight, shoulder length or shorter with no style. Cannot be a redhead, blond, chestnut, or raven haired. No highlights.

Makeup - None though may wear Chapstick.

Clothing - Clothing is comfortable, frumpy, not tailored, oversized, and always in neutral colors (e.g. sweats, jeans, khakis, polo, t-shirts).

Accessories - Little jewelry except a wedding ring, small earrings, practical watch in silver or gold (no colored jewelry). Doesn't wear scarfs except to keep warm in the winter. Doesn't wear belts unless necessary for keeping pants up. Purses are practical (black or brown) and not name brand.

Shoes - Comfortable flats, tennis shoes, flip flops, Birkenstocks, or Crocs. No heels.

Last edited by GoCUBS1; 11-05-2010 at 10:16 AM..

Old 11-05-2010, 10:13 AM

5,412 posts, read 8,277,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikantari View Post
hmm. I have always considered myself a plain jane. Brown hair, brown eyes. No make up. I do think I am intelligent but not a dork..

Is a plain jane such a terribly awful thing?
Your features are too exotic to be a Plain Jane. You remind me of a younger, much prettier Yoko Ono (remember the pictures of her with John Lennon at the Montreal hotel?). Plus, your hair has nice shiny highlights which is unlike a Plain Jane. However, I do feel your clothing is very Plain Jane, especially that dark hoody.

Old 11-06-2010, 08:37 PM

14 posts, read 5,820 times
I am a plain jane but I cant seem to break out of the cycle. I can't afford a personal trainer or designer so can anyone give me any tips on how to give myself a real makeover?

Old 11-06-2010, 08:42 PM

1,587 posts, read 3,137,837 times
I think of a Plain Jane as a girl who is very dull-looking and forgettable. Not pretty or beautiful, not ugly either. She's not trendy and she's not unfashionable. She's not thin or fat. Nothing exotic or different about her, just very mainstream and expected. Apparently there's nothing wrong with being a Plain Jane though...I see guys with them all the time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty