U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-06-2010, 03:37 PM

9,595 posts, read 22,903,648 times

Advertisements

I was wondering which products might be best for people who get sun exposure, but don't burn.
Obviously the skin dries out a little in the sun.

There are so many different kinds of lotions it's confusing.
Most kinds of lotions only advertise one of the following:

-aloe
-cocoa butter
-coconut oil
-vitamin a & e
-cucumber
-other random fruits

I understand eating foods rich in vitamins is a good idea
and that many generic moisturizers also have vitamin e added,
so it seems to make sense that vitamins in lotions would also be a good idea.

Aloe.
Seems to be mostly good at burns since they claim it to be "soothing", though it's also supposed to be good at moisturizing.
But if your skin doesn't need soothing...

I suspect that longish exposures to UV (without burning) may rob skin of things skin need,
but I don't know what exactly happens, what it could benefit from,
and what is just good marketing or a nice smell rather than beneficial.

Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2010, 03:39 PM

Maybe this should be in the "Health and Wellness" forum.

Can it be moved?

Old 11-06-2010, 06:36 PM

10,715 posts, read 19,054,470 times
You'll get a ton of responses along the lines of "tans aren't good for you" - not sure what you are asking anyway....if you are going along getting sun, no caring about SPF, etc. - just get ANY good moisturizer.

Old 11-06-2010, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
You'll get a ton of responses along the lines of "tans aren't good for you" - not sure what you are asking anyway....if you are going along getting sun, no caring about SPF, etc. - just get ANY good moisturizer.
Some experts belive "some" unprotected exposure is beneficial.
Like alcohol in moderation can be beneficial.
You need UVB to make vitamin D synthesis, and sunscreen blocks more UVB than UVA.
But for a white person stay outside all day unprotected if they hear they can get vitamin D from sun
is like telling them red wine is good for their heart, so they drink 2-3 bottles of it.

So, I prefer to have timed "short" (enough? ) exposures to sunlight while unprotected.
I will not lay in the sun all day without sunscreen.
I would even dislike spending an hour at any UV level, facing one direction & unprotected.

But yeah, I figured a few people on this forum might be into tanning, whether indoors or outdoors, skin care would be similar.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty