U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-25-2008, 10:18 PM

3,529 posts, read 6,207,787 times

Advertisements

i didn't see this mentioned, but, they make a thing for guys called the Mangroomer. they sell it at target and BB&B. Basically, it is an electric shaver, attached to a wand that guys can use to shave their back. I can tell you that it works amazing. Only $40
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2008, 03:49 PM

44,332 posts, read 35,393,738 times
Default A (Non)Hairy Proposition

I will likely opt for laser hair removal once I can afford to. My back and shoulder hair will among the first to go. Then my neck hair will go (the front of the neck will be below what would be the beard area, the back of the neck, where my hair needs to stop). Then those other places (we'll leave that to the imagination). And that will be followed by the arms and legs. Yes, one day I would like to know what it's like to as smooth as those male models are. That would be really cool. The chest hair will likely go last unless I decide to keep it. The facial hair stays -- the mustache is shaved for now and I'm not wearing a beard, but I want to continue to leave those places open for growth. Now that is sexy. You could say I like the rugged look. Nonetheless, I am tired of shaving all that hair from time to time.

And before I do all of that, I've got to lose, oh, about 25 pounds and get ripped.

Old 07-26-2008, 04:10 PM

1,766 posts, read 1,275,600 times
I am from the trim and shave tribe...it just feels good and looks good. I think it is a generational thing. Most people over a certain age just don't get it. The people who say they like hair are usually reeealy hairy. To each his own...

Old 07-30-2008, 06:00 AM

30,105 posts, read 15,661,943 times
I shave my armpits (for the last several years) because they were itchy with the hair. I like them shaved. Don't know why I didn't do it sooner in life. I also now shave my legs, and have been shaving my chest. One thing leads to another, I guess.

Well, in later life, things get a little more gray, and a little more hairy, and I wasn't liking it one bit. So, OFF with it.

I love my shaved legs and chest!

Old 07-30-2008, 02:04 PM

8,415 posts, read 34,331,463 times
One of the things I was just thinking at random...I guess asian men are not real men because they dont have body hair right? Lots of black men or anglo-white-blondes are not real men either then I guess...lol

Yeh..it made me laugh.

Old 07-31-2008, 12:31 PM

13,388 posts, read 42,724,996 times
The only permanent way to get rid of unwanted hair IIRC is electrolysis. It's (somewhat) painful, (fairly) expensive, and it's time consuming. Typical price is $50/hour, a good operator will "do" probably 10 to 12 hairs per hour.

In my late 30's, suddenly I had back hair, particularly right at the base of the neck. My neck had been hairy since late teens. Then the ear hair started.

I freaked. The ear hair was like Pearl Harbor - them friggin' follicles had definitely overstepped their turf, and were gonna pay a price for that!

Time for "full nuclear response".

Started getting electrolysis to the tune of 1-4 hours a week. I actually traded a used car (Audi 4000 Diesel) to my electrologist for $3000 worth of services. Did I mention that the ear hair freaked me out, and that now I was mad as hell, and not going to take it anymore?! From about 35 to 45 years old, Friday evening was electrolysis time, 1 or 2 hours, almost every week.

Now I'm 50. I still have the occasional ear hair/back hair removal session, but it's definitely down to picking off the stragglers. My back is not hairy, the back of my neck is clean and stays that way, you'll need good vision and to get pretty damn close to see any ear hair. (Que Queen's "We Are the Champions...) It was a long road, but to me it was well worth it.

But, I like having *some* chest hair. Although I put the kibosh on it trying to unite with my beard as well!

All this driven by my wanting to like the way I look in the mirror, not anyone else. All this went on before I even met my wife.

But back hair just grosses me out. On me. If some other guy has it and likes it, good for him, he'll save some serious cash and time leaving it. But ear hair - get a grip - !

Last edited by M3 Mitch; 07-31-2008 at 12:35 PM.. Reason: expand and clarify

Old 08-01-2008, 12:09 AM

15,533 posts, read 35,652,233 times
I got on the computer and just had a "wild hair" to check out this thread again. I don't know about you folks, but I just hate getting hairs stuck in my teeth!!!

Old 08-01-2008, 12:18 AM

3,581 posts, read 9,003,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis s View Post
I think half of the women like it and half don't. The bad thing when you shave is meeting a girl that likes hair. I guess you have to wait till it grows back before you call her. Where as, if you meet a woman that likes "smooth and shiney" all you have to do is shave and hope for the best. Hope she wasn't just kidding.
I compromise and just shave half my body so I can appeal to both types of women. I just make them stay on my "good" side.

Old 08-01-2008, 12:21 AM

42,203 posts, read 49,768,169 times
?? "The difference between men and women's bodies"? But women's bodies are natually hairy, as well. Not to the same extent, of course, but still...

I don't know if I'm glad that more men feel they need to "groom" their body hair like women have been doing obsessively for the last few decades...or if I'm sad that this weird hair obsession has just gotten worse and crossed genders.

Old 08-01-2008, 06:34 PM

4,334 posts, read 11,933,134 times
I am all for it! I just saw my son in shorts and his legs were so hairy...I told him to shave those frigin hairs off his legs!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty