U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2010, 08:24 PM

21,143 posts, read 22,112,687 times

Advertisements

I can't imagine that given the designers Mrs. Obama has access to, no one could come up with an outfit that was appropriately modest and culturally respectful without looking frumpy and 2 sizes too big. <imagines the next challenge for Project Runway>
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2010, 08:32 PM

3,391 posts, read 7,319,673 times
I have seen her wear much worse on numerous occasions but as you can see from this thread most people (including the media) seem willing to overlook her poor fashion sense so she gets away with it. To be fair she does manage to hit a home run every once in a long while, even if by accident.

Old 11-10-2010, 08:41 PM

17,414 posts, read 18,279,875 times
And again, I ask the question....Why did Laura Bush not receive the same harsh "criticisms" for her frumpy and lackluster style?

Waiting for someone to give and "honest" answer to that question.

Old 11-10-2010, 08:59 PM

21,143 posts, read 22,112,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
And again, I ask the question....Why did Laura Bush not receive the same harsh "criticisms" for her frumpy and lackluster style?

I don't think Mrs. Bush was ever put out there as a fashion icon. Much has been made of Mrs. Obama's style so seeing her look frumpy is more of a surprise and hence more discussion....No one would have said anything if Mrs. Clinton looked frumpy but much would have been said if Mrs. Kennedy looked frumpy...same thing.

Also this thread is specifically about Mrs. Obama....

Old 11-10-2010, 11:07 PM

17,414 posts, read 18,279,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
I don't think Mrs. Bush was ever put out there as a fashion icon. Much has been made of Mrs. Obama's style so seeing her look frumpy is more of a surprise and hence more discussion....No one would have said anything if Mrs. Clinton looked frumpy but much would have been said if Mrs. Kennedy looked frumpy...same thing.

Also this thread is specifically about Mrs. Obama....
Its called a "comparison".

Also, I'm sure that Michelle Obama is simply being herself. Others (including me) have noticed her style and appreciated her fashion sense....its the over-the-top snippiness by a certain element that is uncalled for.

Old 11-11-2010, 02:21 AM

3,668 posts, read 5,735,489 times
I agree that this was a fashion disaster as well as with the comments by maciesmom. Hillary was known for her mind, not her fashion, so there are plenty of comments Hillary made that others criticized her for. On the other hand Michelle is presented to us by the media as a fashion icon so the criticism is totally appropriate and expected.

I saw recently on the news video footage of the first couple exiting a plane somewhere, unsure if there, even forgot if it was the same outfit, but I turned to my wife and told her that the outfit looked horrible. She usually is more stylish, way more stylish.

That scarf she had on was atrocious, that green fringe as well, the pant suit is ill-fitting though it does appear quite different indoors, her posture also plays a part, maybe she simply knew it did not look well and lost some self-confidence for the moment which will make anyone look worse than they actually are. It also seems they are all squinting, shades would have done well or a better photographer/cameraman.

What is up with the men's suits? Very baggy pants on them too.

There are also plenty of choices she could have chosen that would have been more flattering, the excuse that she was visiting a Muslim country does not quite cut the mustard. I would offer images so anyone interested would not have to click but they were removed last time because of some copyright rule here, not that lookbook has any images that are under copyright, I won't be posting anything from there but earlier I did there see some outfits that covered up everything conservatively well.

The last two images here (http://www.intellasia.net/news/articles/society/111253957.shtml - broken link) are wonderful and flattering.

There is also this, and this on the left hand column, this, this, and this jacket.

Last edited by Merovee; 11-11-2010 at 02:37 AM..

Old 11-11-2010, 08:46 AM

3,161 posts, read 7,885,204 times
Quote:
1) Michelle Obama was visiting a mosque in a fairly conservative Muslim country....loose fitting attire, arms completely covered, hair/head covered....all are necessary for a Western woman to avoid an "incident" in a Muslim culture.

2) I like most of her outfits. She definitely has style, class, poise and charm.

3) I find it rather interesting that the same sort of "snippy" comments were not made about Laura Bush who (although a nice lady) was not as proactive and nowhere near as stylish as Michelle Obama.
I agree on all counts. As a woman who has traveled to Muslim countries, I also err on the side of more, rather than less, conservative. Besides her pants being too long due to her shoes being off, she is dressed completely appropriate.

Old 11-11-2010, 09:05 AM

25,907 posts, read 34,981,619 times
Quote:

Because I didn't see a thread about it. I critique whomever I want.

Old 11-11-2010, 09:10 AM

25,907 posts, read 34,981,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merovee View Post
There is also this
I love this! I'm not so fond of the white/pastel suits with embroidery, but this is lovely. I was going to suggest that rather than wearing an American suit (especially an ill-fitting one), Mrs. Obama should have consulted with an Indonesian designer to provider her with a dress or suit. Thanks for that.

Old 11-11-2010, 09:24 AM

21,465 posts, read 22,706,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
I love this! I'm not so fond of the white/pastel suits with embroidery, but this is lovely. I was going to suggest that rather than wearing an American suit (especially an ill-fitting one), Mrs. Obama should have consulted with an Indonesian designer to provider her with a dress or suit. Thanks for that.
Of course, then she'd get criticized for wasting taxpayer dollars on clothes when she has perfectly good outfits she could wear, yadda yadda.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty