U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2010, 06:35 PM

837 posts, read 1,245,678 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
When I was people watching at the airport recently, I noticed that the overwhelming majority of women, even older women were wearing pants. Do pants feel more comfortable than skirts? Why don't more women wear skirts? Is it a matter of staying warm?
For what reason are you preoccupied with this burning question? Are you an investigative reporter? Will I see this on ABC next month? It's right up Nightline's alley: "The Skirt: Friend or Foe?" Or perhaps "Requiem for the 1950s."

As an investigative reporter, to determine what's more comfortable, I suggest you do your own skirt v. pants comparison study. Bonus points if you do it in the airport. Triple bonus if you do it in heels.

That's what I really don't understand: Chicks walking around the airport in stilettos. It's always my first clue that I'm not in Montana anymore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2010, 09:22 AM

32,538 posts, read 29,325,866 times
Because I'm Kate Hepburn reincarnated.

There are places where men where skirts. Fiji, for one, where they are called "sulus". For men, as for women, they look better with really great legs.

Old 12-14-2010, 10:02 AM

1,077 posts, read 3,057,532 times
Absolutely nothing wrong with a women in blue jeans.

Old 12-14-2010, 10:09 AM

5,229 posts, read 11,484,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryson662001 View Post
I am guessing a skirt makes a woman feel more exposed and vulnerable than pants. As a man I wish I could wear a skirt because it would be more comfortable. I hate to wear long pants.
Quote:
I know what you mean. Wearing a skirt looks so liberating, especially in the warm weather.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabe09 View Post
Maybe you guys should try wearing skirts. You might start a new trend!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkle Toes View Post
Go for it, dude - post some pics for us too!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Yeah it's not illegal, as far as I know...and maybe try shaving your legs, too!
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommere View Post
I understand that pants are easier and more practical. As a man, I can honestly say I have no desire to wear a skirt, as previously alluded to.
Obviously none of you have been to Scotland, or a Rennaisance faire.

My wife is going to get me a Utili-Kilt. Very practical Scottish male clothing.

Kilt Blog | Utilikilt Review

UTILIKILTS - American Made Utility Kilts for Everyday Wear

And my own Clan MacRae-Ancient hunting kilt, bought at a Highland Outfitter's shop in Pitlochry, Scotland:
Attached Thumbnails
Why do so many women wear pants?-chriskilt02.jpg  

Old 12-14-2010, 04:49 PM

14,311 posts, read 12,569,286 times
Wow.......those Utili-Kilts are pretty nice.

Love the pockets..........I could get rid of my purse if I wore one of those!

Old 12-14-2010, 06:35 PM

623 posts, read 796,304 times
Utili-Kilt, pah, a pseudo-kilt. The one in the picture looks like the real McCoy though.

Old 12-14-2010, 06:45 PM
Status: "happy again, no longer catless! t...." (set 4 days ago)

14,421 posts, read 16,681,935 times
I might wear a skirt/dress once a year. Or not. The black cocktail style one definately has special uses. Wore ankle high lace up leather boots with it though so it wouldn't look so "normal".

On the train I wear loose fitting jeans for extended sitting comfort. And layers. Trains tend to get cold. Way back when I could sit in a mini skirt but would embarres myself now. I wear LONG floor length skirts with my hall costumes as conventions (science fiction cons to be specific) and get used to lifting up the skirt when stepping up so you don't trip but forget it other times.

Winter I live in thermals inside. Currently have switched to the half-wool ones I got at a military surplus store. Old hardwood floors are COLD.

I really wonder if men would pine for skirts if the had to wear them. On the other hand, the airport, tsa rentacops, and the brave man in a nice kilt worn regimental... hmmm. Might be most interesting.

Old 12-14-2010, 07:05 PM

5,229 posts, read 11,484,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amontillado View Post
Utili-Kilt, pah, a pseudo-kilt. The one in the picture looks like the real McCoy though.

Aye, the one in the picture is my authentic Highlands kilt made in the Highlands when I was up there in March to visit the family castle. Not cheap, but very druable.

And utilikilts are outstanding, useful garments. A lot of guys were wearing them when I was over there.

Old 12-14-2010, 07:54 PM

6,415 posts, read 10,035,247 times
Quote:
When I was people watching at the airport recently, I noticed that the overwhelming majority of women, even older women were wearing pants. Do pants feel more comfortable than skirts? Why don't more women wear skirts? Is it a matter of staying warm?
Probably for the same reasons that so few men wear skirts.

Old 12-14-2010, 08:41 PM

1,931 posts, read 3,322,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
I really wonder if men would pine for skirts if the had to wear them. On the other hand, the airport, tsa rentacops, and the brave man in a nice kilt worn regimental... hmmm. Might be most interesting.
The strange thing is that, anatomically speaking, its only women wearing skirts (in our culture at least). Wearing pants that scrunch up certain male body parts instead of wearing a skirt which would provide "room to beathe" seems odd when you think about it...especially when the people with nothing to get scrunched up are the ones allowed to wear skirts.

Until then, women have the choice (as they should) but men largely don't. I would perhaps try one of those utili-kilts but $200 seems pretty steep!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty