Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2010, 03:00 PM

1,315 posts, read 3,226,666 times

Advertisements

I know this is probably an odd question, but how long (how many washings) are mens clothes supposed to last before they look bad to the general public and should be discarded? Do more expensive brands (Polo, Eddie Bauer. Nautica) last longer than inexpensive brands like Old Navy? How long do you all wear a shirt, pants, etc before you discard it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2010, 03:17 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,673,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happs View Post
I know this is probably an odd question, but how long (how many washings) are mens clothes supposed to last before they look bad to the general public and should be discarded? Do more expensive brands (Polo, Eddie Bauer. Nautica) last longer than inexpensive brands like Old Navy? How long do you all wear a shirt, pants, etc before you discard it?
The best answer is........It depends.

It depends on the quality of the materials used in the clothing. It depends on how the clothing is treated when worn. It depends on how harsh the cleaning products are when washed/cleaned. It depends on how the clothing is stored waiting for their next use.

Well, it just depends. Like anything else ,if the quality is there, then how the user cares for the property goes a long way to a long use lifespan.

All of my clothing last for years and years 'cause I take care of all that I own. I don't give a damn about fashion! I just care that I'm clean and my clothes have no worn/torn holes in them.

Old 11-12-2010, 03:28 PM

22,566 posts, read 47,614,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tightwad View Post
The best answer is........It depends.

All of my clothing last for years and years 'cause I take care of all that I own.

Us too!

In fact, I often donate things in very very good condition, just because we are tired of wearing them for ages.

Old 11-12-2010, 07:49 PM

15,142 posts, read 27,760,706 times
Not always, but in most cases, you get what you pay for. Some brands are the bottom end quality-wise, you can make them last by taking care of them, but in the end, lower quality products/fabrics don't hold up as well as well-made, quality materials do.

Old 11-12-2010, 09:15 PM

1,350 posts, read 2,299,479 times
A long time.

Especially if you don't put them in the dryer. Dryer=evil

Old 11-12-2010, 10:54 PM

6,987 posts, read 21,920,292 times
Number of washings possible would depend on the quality of the product and not the fancy high dollar brand name which in many cases is made at a foreign plant.

About 20 yrs back I bought a t-shirt in Cabo San Lucas for $15 and wish I had a dozen more. It has been thru many washes and still keeps it's shape with no shrinkege. Soft cotton that I do believe was a US product to begin with. Also bought a few others at the same time for my sons that turned out bad over a short time. (different labels)

Most imported clothes are a crap shoot as one American brand name has plants in central America with different quality control on their product. The mere name of being cotton is no guarantee that the product will last. I bought some male walking shorts made in Bangledesh that are cotton and look like crap after washing just one time.

As too fashion products...I'm not a person to flaunt my wearing underwear that is chic...let alone outerwear.

Old 11-15-2010, 06:37 PM

7,284 posts, read 16,675,136 times
Prytania's post is probably the most significant. Clothes will last through countless washings if you follow the care label. It's the dryer that kills clothes. I usually buy very high quality clothing (labels vary). My clothes still look good far after I'm tired of them, which is preferable to having them wear out while I still like them.

Old 11-16-2010, 03:24 PM

7,371 posts, read 6,829,829 times
All good answers, so far. It depends. If you mix your laundry colours, not long before even the best looks old and tacky. I will handwash sweaters, pretty lingerie, and anything I really love that is the slightest bit delicate. Drycleaning is out. If I can't wash it myself, I won't buy it. The drycleaners have wrecked too much of my stuff.

Old 11-17-2010, 09:35 AM

18,462 posts, read 31,617,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prytania View Post
A long time.

Especially if you don't put them in the dryer. Dryer=evil

That's funny.

Actually we don't have a dryer, we use the clothesline for everything. winter and summer.

Old 11-20-2010, 11:02 AM

5,404 posts, read 15,988,586 times
Not everything needs to be washed every time...that can really save the appearance of your favorites!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty