U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-29-2010, 11:52 AM

8,141 posts, read 12,502,917 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalCroozer View Post
J. Crew has gone down hill A LOT in the last 10 years. They used to have really good quality basic staples like polos, sweaters, chinos, etc. Banana Republic is far and away better in all aspects.........styling, fit, choice, quality etc. Ann Taylor Loft is for conservative old ladies and their quality is not that great.
Noooo...Ann Taylor is for conservative old ladies...the loft is the hipper, younger version.
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2010, 08:25 AM

3,846 posts, read 6,599,566 times
I love Ann Taylor, their clothes are quality made, and most items can be machine washed unless otherwise noted. I live in their jeans and can buy my size without trying them on first!
I have worn JCrew in the past, but their price increases over the years has turned me away from them. But their clothes are well-made also. You can find some basic pieces like a blazer and skirt, pants, white blouses and sheath dresses. Then you can build around these key pieces with scarves or camisoles from lesser expensive stores. Their clothes are not stuffy, and young women and older women can find plenty of options. Have you tried Banana Republic or even H&M? they also have career minded looks you may like. Hope this helps!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citron View Post
The quality of clothing at Ann Taylor loft and J. Crew?
I'm at that not a college student but still at a young adult faze and need to update what I'm wearing. I've been, I guess pre-shopping and seeing whats out there. Honestly the last couple of years I have had hardly any time to spend that didn't involve running my business. Now I had been saving and want to get pretty much everything new and matching. What is the quality, and lasting ability of these mall brands? These two are one of the few that at least offer my sizing online so I'm kind of limited to what stores I can buy from. I've never had a good experience with having clothing tailored to my liking. So don't want to deal with that and just want off the rack stuff.

Honestly most of my stuff is from my high school years or work out style clothing like stretch pants and track jackets. It's time for a change

Old 12-02-2010, 11:24 PM

2,413 posts, read 2,559,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
Noooo...Ann Taylor is for conservative old ladies...the loft is the hipper, younger version.
I don't know too many fashionable 20 somethings that shop at Ann Taylor loft. Maybe on the east coast but not out here on the West Coast.

Old 12-03-2010, 10:31 AM

454 posts, read 913,918 times
I disagree. One of the things that I love about both Ann Taylor and Ann Taylor Loft is that they have items that appeal to people in their 20s, 30s, 40s, 50s, and 60s. And yes, I am a 20-somthing!

Old 12-03-2010, 09:07 PM

14,294 posts, read 20,539,012 times
J. Crew I think has terrible quality. I have bought a few cashmere sweaters from them that get holes after a year. IMO that is ridiculous for a $300 sweater. When I brought it back they said there was really nothing they could do.

I love the store, but the prices do not match the quality. Ann Taylor Loft I have had great luck with.

Old 12-28-2010, 05:56 PM

335 posts, read 812,876 times
I've learned to look at the fabric content and not the label. Look for clothes with 80-100% of cotton, silk, or wool. Expensive clothes can have a high % of polyester, nylon, or spandex, but they won't last long or fit well.

Old 12-29-2010, 09:51 AM

1,031 posts, read 2,046,935 times
I'm also a 20-something who wears Ann Taylor Loft. I would buy more pieces from them, but their sizing is too large for shirts and pants--skirts and dresses fit wonderfully. I would consider myself a "regular" x-small, but even the Loft's x-x-s is quite large for non-stretch fabrics and 00 pants are much too wide in the thighs and too long. The regular Ann Taylor store carries great basic cardigans and coats + shoes/jewelry for people our age.

J. Crew is worth spending extra money on except for their cashmere pieces which seem to pill and form holes. Every formal coat I own has come from there and they're going on 3-4+ years of regular wear. I second what everyone says about staying far away from the J. Crew Outlet.

Other stores to check out are Zara and White House Black Market.

Old 01-03-2011, 11:35 PM

230 posts, read 534,925 times
Just an FYI- all outlet merchandise from any store is inferior quality. It might not be visible to the naked eye but it absolutely differs in some way from the 1st quality of a regular store sample. Things that will mark clothing down to outlet level include issues with trim/thread, production line issues like pattern mistakes, fabric quality issues (crocking, weight, etc).

With that said - unless you work in a conservative office environment, go to J Crew.

Old 01-04-2011, 02:08 PM

7,508 posts, read 3,593,891 times
I'm in the same boat as you. Right now I'm looking at Ann Taylor just because they have petite size and their sales are great....

Old 01-06-2011, 02:43 PM

5,945 posts, read 12,717,149 times
I'm 30-something but I look really young. I live in a college town and am constantly mistaken for a "college girl" - even when I have my two kids (ages 11 and 15) with me. So... needless to say sometimes I care and try to dress less "young" but sometimes I don't and wear whatever I like. Translation: whatever is clean, modest, and comfy.

TMI. Sorry!

Ann Taylor Loft jeans I LOVE. Not much else I love or like at Ann Taylor, though. Every sweater and dress I've ever bought there has fallen apart. The jeans are good though. I like the curvy boot cut. (Yes, I'm a boot-cut jeans person... I can't stand straight-leg jeans or skinny jeans. Ugh. I do like the "boyfriend" jeans though, those are cute.)

J. Crew is flimsy and will fall apart on you. Cute stuff though.

Lately I've really been into L.L. Bean stuff - they have some really classic stuff like their cotton Double L sweaters and cashmere turtlenecks and wool wrap-around skirts (cute with tights and boots) - things like that.

J.Jill is my favorite place to shop, though. It's good stuff and if you care for the clothes properly (such as laying your sweaters flat to dry and handwashing the delicate knits) they will last forever. I have things from J.Jill that I wear frequently that still look new ten years going. LOVE J.Jill. Their jeans are good, too. Women's apparel, accessories, and footwear from J. Jill

Lately I'm really liking Garnet Hill, too. Catch their sales. Womens Clothing, Dresses, Shoes, Sweaters, Boots, Sleepwear, Accessories - Garnet Hill

Dress Barn and Eddie Bauer are also good to check once in awhile. Chico's, Talbot's, and Coldwater Creek are hit and miss with me. They feel too... I dunno... uppity or conservative or something... but sometimes I'm surprised with a fun find.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty