Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2012, 04:08 PM

2,524 posts, read 3,069,483 times

Advertisements

What is your experience with cashmere sweaters purchased from J. Crew? Do they pill? Do they hold up over several years? (I'm a fiend about cost-per-wear, so this is very important to me.)
Please share your experiences with J. Crew cashmere.
(Please note; I don't need to hear about any other store's cashmere stuff.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2012, 11:07 PM

3,426 posts, read 8,880,657 times
I plan on investing in jcrew cashmere once I finally am done with my schooling so I'm interested in seeing the answers. I LOVE the colors.

Old 09-24-2012, 07:06 AM

5,139 posts, read 12,679,434 times
All wool pills. Its the nature of the fabric.

I have a couple of sweaters from there. The eventually pill around the arm area from friction.

With proper care you can help avoid it by washing your sweater inside out and avoiding certain types of cashmere(sources like: china = bad due to shorter fibers) You can also go with blends in your cashmere choices. That can also help with the pills. But in general pills happen.

I always test those kind of sweaters by scraping the arm with my thumbnail back and forth a couple times. Go try it on a cheap cashmere sweater. It instantly gets fuzzy. If it fuzzes up fast...skip it. No matter where it is from. Sweaters with the longer fibers that pill less may fuzz a teeny bit but they also get a sheen to them. Just a random thing I noticed.

Old 09-24-2012, 01:09 PM

16,061 posts, read 26,662,273 times
I have purchased two from JCrew, and never again. They do not hold up well, they not only pill, they also get small holes in them, even if stored correctly.

Old 09-24-2012, 01:31 PM

The only cashmere sweater I ever owned was a beautiful burgundy sweater from one of the cheaper bloomingdales brands. I believe it was $80 and it lasted for a very long time until my ***** of a cleaning lady washed and dried it in the machines. I could have killed her. I prefer to do all of my cleaning myself now because I have had bad luck with cleaning ladies.

Old 09-27-2012, 10:20 AM

5,139 posts, read 12,679,434 times
Well you could of saved that sweater. If you shrink something accidentally some dry cleaners offer a re-stretching treatment that returns the garment to the original shape. You can try it yourself but you may create holes or the treatment can create holes even when done my a professional.

When I sweater gets a hole you can repair it or a drycleaner may be able to repair it for you. Its called darning.

Can you tell I love knits?
LOL

Old 09-27-2012, 10:23 AM

^^^thanks. I'll have to remember that for the future. I have no idea where that sweater is now

Old 10-03-2012, 03:28 AM

484 posts, read 851,878 times
not all cashmere is the same some of it is cheap and a mix that they do not have to state on thier tags. Some of the best comes from Scottish highlands and Pringle is one I suggest when you are looking to INVEST in a quality long lasting staple cashmere item.

Susan Gibbs: The True Cost of Cheap Cashmere

Old 10-03-2012, 08:43 AM

2,382 posts, read 5,377,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peerage View Post
not all cashmere is the same some of it is cheap and a mix that they do not have to state on thier tags. Some of the best comes from Scottish highlands and Pringle is one I suggest when you are looking to INVEST in a quality long lasting staple cashmere item.

Susan Gibbs: The True Cost of Cheap Cashmere
Thanks for posting the article - it's kinda weird but I had been wondering for a couple years now where in the heck all this cheap cashmire I had been seeing ($29 sweaters at Costco and the like) had been coming from....

Old 10-03-2012, 12:04 PM

730 posts, read 2,881,472 times
I'm somewhat of a cashmere junky. I usually wait until end of the Winter, even Spring or Summer to go online and get sweaters from Bluefly.com

They always have an amazing cashmere sale. The stuff can still be expensive, but you can get some AMAZING buys on top quality sweaters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty