Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2010, 03:28 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,449,284 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
Your first link said that only six percent of U.S. schools offer P.E.--I find that hard to believe. I do believe that lower income areas are likely to cut P.E. due to lack of funds, like your article says. Whatever the real stats, I'm glad I live in an area where that is not the case. We pay hefty property taxes but it's worth it.

Our daughter's high school has a very refreshing approach to P.E. They recognize that regular physical activity is good not only for the body, but also the mind.

The Positive Effects of Physical Activity on Learning (http://brandon-hall.com/richardnantel/2007/05/14/the-positive-effects-of-physical-activity-on-learning/ - broken link)

http://www.activelivingresearch.org/files/Active_Ed.pdf (broken link)

Being physically active increases the brain's ability to learn. My daughter's school has embraced that philosophy, to the point where if a student is doing poorly in a particular subject, his or her schedule may be rearranged so that the troublesome subject comes right after P.E. Their approach to gym class is not just to keep kids occupied for an hour and make them burn some energy, but part of a complete education.

Edited: From your second link:

Way to go, Illinois!
My parents paid high property taxes and sent me to private schools for 100% of my education (K-12 and even college). Yet, no matter how fortunate I have been in my own life, I believe that it is so important to not lose sight of how other less fortunate Americans live. An "Ivory Tower" mentality towards the real issues of average America is neither an effective nor a productive use of our energies.

Last edited by calipoppy; 11-21-2010 at 03:43 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2010, 03:32 PM

1,994 posts, read 3,203,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bjones1976 View Post
Oh I read them...I just don't think they justify being "OUTRAGED" at the pride others have for their size.
For Christ's sake...

How would you have had me word it, Bj?

I am not “OUTRAGED” by people having pride in their size, but when it’s disgusting and unhealthy I can’t support it. That goes for skinny girls too!!!

Last edited by *VaNiLlaGoRrilLa*; 11-21-2010 at 03:47 PM..

Old 11-21-2010, 04:08 PM

323 posts, read 526,556 times
well said !!!!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjones1976 View Post
so basically you're happier when these women feel less beautiful than their thinner counterparts because of their waste lines? What does that really say about you? I don't know if you know this but obese people have to get up and live just like non-obese people. They work, they pay taxes, they have families, relationships etc in other words they live life (like everyone else) whether or not they have your "encouragement"

why the hell shouldn't they embrace who they are where they are? Because someone showing fake "concern" over their "health" feels like he/she is encouraging some unhealthy lifestyle by doing so? So what they are overweight and? So what they have have health issues or poor eating habits, i'm sure they are well aware of it and whether or not they choose to do anything about it is whose business again?...

We all have something what do you have? It's one thing to be ridiculed for being skinny (which is just as messed up), it's another thing to hide behind that excuse to further (and "encourage") your own anti-fat people movement! Time to grow up a little bit; the world doesn't have to revolve around you and what you think! The sooner you realize this the sooner the anti-skinny girl comments will roll off your back and you can be a "role model" and live your life ......as others will "be a role model" and live theirs!

What kind of person is outraged (unhappy, mad) by someone else proclaiming they accept and love who they are?

Last edited by 4sankofa; 11-21-2010 at 04:18 PM..

Old 11-21-2010, 04:36 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,540,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Interesting. I'm 33, 5'10" and this is my preferred weight...which I have been told is fat. I'm female.

I'm 6'1 and when I was 140 lbs people called me fat. I do think people have a very odd distorted view of peoples weight, especially women's weight. This could explain why many women are 'proud' about their size.

Old 11-21-2010, 04:38 PM

WOW what a lot of emotions and energy spent - There is a great book I recommend by Marianne Williamson - titled - What You Think of Me is None of My Business -

Very powerful - it was written years ago but still relevant today - so many people get caught up on what others say and think instead of focusing that energy on their families, community, theirselves, and just plain being being happy and at Peace.

Quote:
Oh I read them...I just don't think they justify being "OUTRAGED" at the pride others have for their size.

Where do you think the ideas behind the terms "curvy and proud" or "fat is where it's at" or "real women" have curves" come from?

I'll let you ponder that for a moment.

Instead of seeing it as some sort of DISS to your size thin women, why not see it for what it is,

..... which is

"instead of buying into the BS that because I'm CURVY, FAT, etc.... That I'm less of a woman or somehow not a real woman".....

I'll embrace and or proclaim that "I too am a beautiful REAL woman WITH my curves!!"

Old 11-21-2010, 04:39 PM

WOW what a lot of emotions and energy spent - There is a great book I recommend by Marianne Williamson - titled - What You Think of Me is None of My Business -

Very powerful - it was written years ago but still relevant today - so many people get caught up on what others say and think instead of focusing that energy on their families, community, their selves, and just plain being being happy and at Peace. PEACE OUT

Quote:

Where do you think the ideas behind the terms "curvy and proud" or "fat is where it's at" or "real women" have curves" come from?

I'll let you ponder that for a moment.

Instead of seeing it as some sort of DISS to your size thin women, why not see it for what it is,

..... which is

"instead of buying into the BS that because I'm CURVY, FAT, etc.... That I'm less of a woman or somehow not a real woman".....

I'll embrace and or proclaim that "I too am a beautiful REAL woman WITH my curves!!"

Old 11-21-2010, 07:02 PM

305 posts, read 651,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by *VaNiLlaGoRrilLa* View Post
For Christ's sake...

I am not “OUTRAGED” by people having pride in their size, but when it’s disgusting and unhealthy I can’t support it. That goes for skinny girls too!!!
Disgusting, I see. Well, now we know what's really behind all this.

Old 11-21-2010, 07:08 PM

1,271 posts, read 4,013,936 times
Quote:
For Christ's sake...

Word it any way you'd like.....just put a little thought into what you say.

Quote:
This implies that you don't have a problem with people having pride in their size until they no longer fit YOUR IDEAL of what they should look like.

How am I doing so far?

Old 11-21-2010, 08:21 PM

1,994 posts, read 3,203,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akama13 View Post
Disgusting, I see. Well, now we know what's really behind all this.

And what pray tell is that?

Quote:
This implies that you don't have a problem with people having pride in their size until they no longer fit YOUR IDEAL of what they should look like.
Quote:

How am I doing so far?
Please.

I don’t think anyone should look any certain way, as I said earlier I have friends of all shapes and sizes (DESPITE what you think of me saying that), but if e.g. a 800 pound woman comes on stage on some show wearing a thong bikini, screaming and shouting that she is proud of how she looks, I certainly wont be applauding, will you?

Being enormous shouldn't be celebrated, simple as that. Nor should being super thin be.

I don’t care if you think I don’t care with your accusations of “fake concern”, because I do care. It’s unhealthy and sends a terrible message to kids. And for crying out loud, who cares what WORDS I USED to DESCRIBE my FEELINGS? I JUST don’t THINK it SHOULD be RIGHT to SAY to KIDS that THIS is ALRIGHT.

Last edited by *VaNiLlaGoRrilLa*; 11-21-2010 at 08:36 PM..

Old 11-21-2010, 08:40 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,284,073 times
You post rudely, and you're surprised when it's noted? Interesting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty