U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-21-2010, 07:45 PM
 
1,994 posts, read 2,726,892 times
Reputation: 1200

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
You post rudely, and you're surprised when it's noted? Interesting.
Well if I come across that way it wasnít my intention.

Whatís interesting?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-21-2010, 07:54 PM
 
Location: in your dreams
10,892 posts, read 13,008,285 times
Reputation: 15317
Now I think the only people "outraged" by obesity in this thread are people who may be on the verge of it....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-21-2010, 07:59 PM
 
Location: NYC but Georgia on my mind...
134 posts, read 94,522 times
Reputation: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by *VaNiLlaGoRrilLa* View Post
I am so sick of seeing these shows/magazines about ďcurvy and proudĒ women, ďrealĒ women.
Then don't look, simple as that.
Quote:
The majority are overweight with clear health issues and terrible eating habits.
What about the anorexic woman? No one seems to complain about that.
Quote:
And why is it is ok for a larger person to make fun of a thin person (skinny *****), but if the thin person does the same thing itís discrimination?
I was teased at school because I was thicker than the other girls. Also I was an early bloomer. When larger people get denied during job interviews isn't that discrimination as well because they are large?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-21-2010, 08:03 PM
 
1,994 posts, read 2,726,892 times
Reputation: 1200
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalMelody View Post
I was teased at school because I was thicker than the other girls. Also I was an early bloomer. When larger people get denied during job interviews isn't that discrimination as well because they are large?
So was I. I started developing very early, they called me Tissue **** throughout all my school years.

You think larger people get denied work because of their size? Do you think dark skinned people get the same treatment?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-21-2010, 08:24 PM
 
Location: NYC but Georgia on my mind...
134 posts, read 94,522 times
Reputation: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by *VaNiLlaGoRrilLa* View Post
So was I. I started developing very early, they called me Tissue **** throughout all my school years.

You think larger people get denied work because of their size? Do you think dark skinned people get the same treatment?
Yes they do get denied work because of their size. I have seen it in action. Being dark skinned or naturally thick is something that you have no control over. We also have no control of how are bodies and genes are made up. What is so wrong with embracing our curvy figures? Every women should have the right to feel beautiful. Not everyone is made to be model thin which is seem as attractive in American society. We have Miss plus size America and plus size beauty pageants because mainstream society has told us that we are ugly, smelly, lazy etc. For larger woman who are perhaps feeling down because of their size. I have learned to appreciate and embrace my full figure throughout the years. Again, what is wrong with feeling beautiful no matter what size you are? You obviously have a problem with that. Beauty should not just be exclusively limited to thin and anorexic woman.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-21-2010, 08:26 PM
 
1,994 posts, read 2,726,892 times
Reputation: 1200
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalMelody View Post
Beauty should not just be exclusively limited to thin and anorexic woman.
If you would have taken the time to look back on my posts, you would have seen that I feel the same way about very skinny women too…

I am not trying to say you shouldn’t feel beautiful, seriously, you are twisting my words.

EVERY woman has the right to feel beautiful, of course! But when it becomes unhealthy it’s not right. Kids shouldn’t look at a very big woman (with a bad heart, due to her terrible eating habits) OR a very skinny woman (with stomach problems, because of her lack of eating!) and think that that is alright. Do you agree or disagree?

I know my OP focused purely on obesity, but it definitely applies to both. I only used the skinny ***** thing as an example of reverse discrimination.

Last edited by *VaNiLlaGoRrilLa*; 11-21-2010 at 08:37 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-21-2010, 08:47 PM
 
Location: Kenmore, WA
7,359 posts, read 6,215,390 times
Reputation: 10577
It may be that people's choices are unhealthy, but I don't think that gives any of us the right to expect others to be ashamed or think less of themselves because of those choices. I would rather someone be overweight and happy with themselves, than thin and self-righteous.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-21-2010, 08:48 PM
 
1,271 posts, read 3,585,112 times
Reputation: 581
First there was the double standard, then there was health care cost....
You're not really using KIDS as an excuse now are you?

Are you kidding me?

Seriously V,

Do you NOT understand that your approach is the same approach that implies it's ok to antagonize or pick on those that look different from them? Even worse your approach is telling "these kids" that's it's ok for them to be picked on or bullied because they are different.

This is what I mean by the power of words Vanilla..which is my problem with this thread.



Quote:
Originally Posted by *VaNiLlaGoRrilLa* View Post
And what pray tell is that?
Please.
I donít think anyone should look any certain way, as I said earlier I have friends of all shapes and sizes (DESPITE what you think of me saying that), but if e.g. a 800 pound woman comes on stage on some show wearing a thong bikini, screaming and shouting that she is proud of how she looks, I certainly wont be applauding, will you?

Being enormous shouldn't be celebrated, simple as that. Nor should being super thin be.

I donít care if you think I donít care with your accusations of ďfake concernĒ, because I do care. Itís unhealthy and sends a terrible message to kids. And for crying out loud, who cares what WORDS I USED to DESCRIBE my FEELINGS? I JUST donít THINK it SHOULD be RIGHT to SAY to KIDS that THIS is ALRIGHT.


Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-21-2010, 08:50 PM
 
1,271 posts, read 3,585,112 times
Reputation: 581
Well said

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalMelody View Post
Yes they do get denied work because of their size. I have seen it in action. Being dark skinned or naturally thick is something that you have no control over. We also have no control of how are bodies and genes are made up. What is so wrong with embracing our curvy figures? Every women should have the right to feel beautiful. Not everyone is made to be model thin which is seem as attractive in American society. We have Miss plus size America and plus size beauty pageants because mainstream society has told us that we are ugly, smelly, lazy etc. For larger woman who are perhaps feeling down because of their size. I have learned to appreciate and embrace my full figure throughout the years. Again, what is wrong with feeling beautiful no matter what size you are? You obviously have a problem with that. Beauty should not just be exclusively limited to thin and anorexic woman.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-21-2010, 08:57 PM
 
1,271 posts, read 3,585,112 times
Reputation: 581
Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post
It may be that people's choices are unhealthy, but I don't think that gives any of us the right to expect others to be ashamed or think less of themselves because of those choices. I would rather someone be overweight and happy with themselves, than thin and self-righteous.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top