U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-22-2010, 08:41 PM
 
1,994 posts, read 2,727,661 times
Reputation: 1200

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxywench View Post
im obese, morbidly so, however im taking steps to fix that problem...not because i was ashamed of my size...but because my size was effecting my health.
So if you were completely healthy you’d be happy to remain the same size?

I am not attacking or discriminating, I am just wondering.

I have asked the question a few times about “what ifs” – if someone who was overweight had a chance not to be so what would they do – and no one has answered me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-22-2010, 09:00 PM
 
Location: North Western NJ
6,591 posts, read 19,777,789 times
Reputation: 9524
honestly in my teenage years i would have said no...i would have been happy "plus sized" but that for me was more like a size 16 and i was a 24 at my largest...

but as i got older, honestly if it wernt for the health concerns i would have been perfectly happy at the weight i was...assuming i stayed healthy/fit and could keep up with my friends...(and even at that size ive not realy had many problems forming relationships both friends and lovers)
howerver i have been "blessed" in that i carry my weight extreemly well at 350lbs i was a 22-24 (many folks i know in that weight range are in the 28+ sized clothing) my nurse the morning of weight loss surgery took a guess at my weight (shes been involved in weight loss surgery for 13 years) and said i was 250lbs tops...my actual weight at that exact point in time, 318!
so i also must assume thathow you carry it can also have say in how you feel about it...

though i will admit if someone offered me one wish it would have been a breast lift, i started developing at 7 years old and unfortunatly gravity has not been my friend lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-22-2010, 09:09 PM
 
Location: Somewhere on Earth
1,052 posts, read 1,410,488 times
Reputation: 711
Quote:
Originally Posted by *VaNiLlaGoRrilLa* View Post
So if you were completely healthy you’d be happy to remain the same size?

I am not attacking or discriminating, I am just wondering.

I have asked the question a few times about “what ifs” – if someone who was overweight had a chance not to be so what would they do – and no one has answered me.
Mmm, I think this question that you are asking is quite hard to answer as your body size is the way it is as a result of being un/healthy (with special cases involving genetics and what not).

But if you were a 500lb person as a result of normal growth development, I wouldn't see why you are not happy.

The reason why people are unhappy with their size may be to due to many factors. Most of which are not because people are calling them names. Anorexia, on the other hand, is.

Some due to their upbringing. Others are unhappy and eat away the pain. Availability of fatty foods. Our busy lifestyle and love for convenience.

But again, the question is illogical because to be fat, it means that you are unhealthy. You don't gain fat tissue pounds just because.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-22-2010, 09:20 PM
 
1,994 posts, read 2,727,661 times
Reputation: 1200
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxywench View Post
though i will admit if someone offered me one wish it would have been a breast lift, i started developing at 7 years old and unfortunatly gravity has not been my friend lol.


Hehehe fair enough!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Lune View Post
The reason why people are unhappy with their size may be to due to many factors. Most of which are not because people are calling them names. Anorexia, on the other hand, is.


I have been called anorexic my whole life. I couldn’t even use the bathroom after meals at one stage because people would accuse me of throwing my food up. Trust me I know what it’s like. Which is why it bothers me even more that people think it’s ok to use terms like “skinny *****”. That’s just as offensive as something like “fat cow” as far as I’m concerned.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-22-2010, 09:24 PM
 
1,271 posts, read 3,585,577 times
Reputation: 581
You'd have to ask those people....my guess would be that they are motivated by the same mess the "how dare you celebrate who you are, u unhealthy fat person" are. Ask them .


Quote:
Originally Posted by annika08 View Post
I'm not sure why you're so defensive. No one (at least I) said that women shouldn't love themselves for who they are and all that. But my question is, why the double standard? Why is it okay for people to make comments like "skinny b****" and "why don't you eat something and gain a few pounds?" but comments like "fat b****" and "why don't you skip lunch and lose a few pounds" are not acceptable?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-22-2010, 09:25 PM
 
1,271 posts, read 3,585,577 times
Reputation: 581
if you say so..............NEXT!


Quote:
Originally Posted by Escort Rider View Post
As far as I have read here, no one has advocated limiting anyone's right to celebrate anything or interrupting anyone's celebrations. Instead, what has been expressed is surprise and dismay at the degree of denial that would go into celebrating something which is unhealthy and abnormal. You make classic strawmen arguments in the paragraph above.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-22-2010, 09:26 PM
 
1,271 posts, read 3,585,577 times
Reputation: 581



Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
Obesity isn't being celebrated. Women with flesh and curves, who depict the more "fertile" image of femininity are being celebrated. And personally I'm all for it. I've crossed over from being overweight into the obese category and need to lose weight, but I wouldn't want to be thin. I was never thin, and I never wanted to be. I'm not happy being as heavy as I am now, it's not healthy for me.

But when I get back to being fleshy and curvy, I'll be celebrating right along with the Playtex models who snicker about "their girls."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-22-2010, 09:29 PM
 
Location: Somewhere on Earth
1,052 posts, read 1,410,488 times
Reputation: 711
Quote:
Originally Posted by *VaNiLlaGoRrilLa* View Post
Which is why it bothers me even more that people think it’s ok to use terms like “skinny *****”. That’s just as offensive as something like “fat cow” as far as I’m concerned.
Yes, it is quite unacceptable to call someone such names. It ruins their self esteem and is, perhaps, a form of discrimination.

But I have rarely heard anyone call anyone a skinny B

I am quite appalled at seeing extremes from both sections though. Makes me want hand a burger to the skinny and yogurt with granola for the big
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-22-2010, 09:30 PM
 
1,271 posts, read 3,585,577 times
Reputation: 581


Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post
It may be that people's choices are unhealthy, but I don't think that gives any of us the right to expect others to be ashamed or think less of themselves because of those choices. I would rather someone be overweight and happy with themselves, than thin and self-righteous.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-22-2010, 09:43 PM
 
Location: NEPA
2,010 posts, read 3,198,523 times
Reputation: 1953
I think most of the "curvy and proud" do look like the majority of women today. I think the runway models are way to thin, and i don't understand why a size 14 is considered a plus size.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top