Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2010, 10:46 PM

1,271 posts, read 4,022,429 times

Advertisements

So basically you're happier when these women feel less beautiful than their thinner counterparts because of their waste lines? What does that really say about you? I don't know if you know this but OBESE people have to get up and live just like non-obese people. They work, they pay taxes, they have families, relationships etc in other words they live life (like everyone else) whether or not they have your "encouragement"

Why the hell shouldn't they embrace who they are where they are? Because someone showing fake "concern" over their "health" feels like he/she is encouraging some unhealthy lifestyle by doing so? So what they are overweight AND? So what they have have health issues or poor eating habits, I'm sure they are well aware of it and whether or not they choose to do anything about it is whose business again?...

We all have SOMETHING what do YOU have? It's one thing to be ridiculed for being skinny (which is just as messed up), it's another thing to hide behind that excuse to further (and "encourage") your own anti-fat people movement! Time to grow up a little bit; the world doesn't have to revolve around you and what you think! The sooner you realize this the sooner the anti-skinny girl comments will roll off your back and you can be a "role model" and live YOUR life ......as others will "be a role model" and live theirs!

What kind of person is outraged (unhappy, mad) by someone else proclaiming they accept and love who they are?

Quote:
Originally Posted by *VaNiLlaGoRrilLa* View Post
I am so sick of seeing these shows/magazines about “curvy and proud” women, “real” women.

The majority are overweight with clear health issues and terrible eating habits.

So because I am thin, I don’t have a “real” woman’s body?

And why is it is ok for a larger person to make fun of a thin person (skinny *****), but if the thin person does the same thing it’s discrimination?

I have friends who are all shapes and sizes and I love them all the same, but I don’t think it’s right for this kind of thing to be encouraged.

Does anyone agree?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2010, 11:57 PM

3,669 posts, read 6,874,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bjones1976 View Post
The sooner you realize this the sooner the anti-skinny girl comments will roll off your back
Way to defend such comments and that statement totally invalidates everything else stated.

People should not have to cope and deal with such comments. They should not be told to grow up and let such vitriol roll off their backs.

Old 11-19-2010, 05:41 AM

1,271 posts, read 4,022,429 times
Playing the victim....another motivator commonly used to push a hate agenda. Nice move but so not working here .

When people learn to deal with their inner issues (someone said I was too skinny which made me feel bad, now I wanna hurt people I think are too big and claim to be doing it out of some sort of civic duty) they will then be able to understand what drives their "hate", "outrage", or disdain towards other human beings!

What's worse is someone who wants to feed and nurture that that mess to keep that type of hate going....

disgusting!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merovee View Post
Way to defend such comments and that statement totally invalidates everything else stated.

People should not have to cope and deal with such comments. They should not be told to grow up and let such vitriol roll off their backs.

Old 11-19-2010, 06:38 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,682,985 times
Where did VG say that she wanted to hurt overweight people? I thought her use of "outrage" was over the top, but I don't see anything in her posts or Merovee's that should make you feel victimized. You used the word "hate" three times in one post. I seriously doubt VG or anyone hates you ... come on.

Old 11-19-2010, 06:52 AM

1,603 posts, read 3,248,755 times
Our society is such that we as women are taught to cut each other up in order to make ourselves feel better about ourselves.

We've all bought into the myth that we have to "look" a certain way in order to feel beautiful. We can blame men for perpetuating that myth - but it's just not true, we as women are the ones perpetuating that myth.

We use passive agressive stabs in order to further our position. Maybe, as women, we should stand up and say, enough is enough! We can't let the myth that "thin is in" or "fat is where it's at" be what defines us as women. Why does our body shape have to define who we are? Why can't we as women, stand up and say, "hey, look at me! I'm intelligent, well educated, loving, passionate, witty, caring, compassionate, sexy and confident!" Why do we have to tie our body size to our self worth? I think the OP was being a bit passive agressive with concern over health just as I think people who bash her for thinness are being equally passive agressive. Remember, passive agressive looks good on no one - thin or overweight - it's the worst accessory you can carry.

Today I'm officially, declaring myself as "intelligent, well educated, loving, passionate, witty, caring, compassionate, sexy and confident" and I tie none of that to my body or my looks.

Who's with me????

Old 11-19-2010, 07:14 AM

2,628 posts, read 4,296,891 times
Here's a slightly nerdy take on this issue:

In an agricultural society such as US 100+ years ago, 'fat' was seen as a sign of laziness and/or decadence because no one who worked for a living in the fields and around the farm had access to the excess calories that would cause them to gain weight. At that time, the yield of the harvest was the limitation to population growth, and very little of what was produced was wasted. Today, modern agricultural techniques have given us a surplus of food, and automation and industrialization have greatly reduced our average expenditure of muscle power, to the extent that sitting still all day is very common. As a result, 'fat' is no longer a good indicator of wealth and/or laziness. However, some people love to categorize people based on generalizations, even when the basis for those generalizations are obsolete.

Complicating the issue, people tend to form groups where everyone has similar lifestyle choices, thus reinforcing the ideas of 'us' and 'them' as it applies to a myriad of characteristics such as wealth, weight, urban/suburban/rural preference, use of alcohol, and of course race, religion and politics. Because of the complex relationships between all of these issues, people tend to form associations between unrelated characteristics (such as fat white rich republicans or lazy stoned college kids) All of the associated -ism's are rooted in the base human tendency to fear those that they perceive as different and the more differences that are perceived the more justified one feels in placing an individual in the 'them' category. I believe much of the animosity that is being exchanged on the subject of body shape is really rooted in much more polarizing issues of class struggle. (producers vs. consumers, etc.)

Excuse my rambling, I don't think I really needed that second pot of coffee.

Last edited by Chemistry_Guy; 11-19-2010 at 07:16 AM.. Reason: grammar mistake

Old 11-19-2010, 07:19 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,332,595 times
We are so obsessed with not hurting people's feelings, we don't care anymore if what they are doing is harming them, their children, the health care system, etc.

Some people are just plumper as their natural state...some will always be a bit 'willowy.' But let's not confuse that phenomenon with people who just overeat and then run around demanding respect for the outcome of their choices. Especially when their choices have far-reaching consequences.

Old 11-19-2010, 08:00 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,682,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halo_in_reverse View Post
I think the OP was being a bit passive agressive with concern over health just as I think people who bash her for thinness are being equally passive agressive.
What's passive-aggressive about degrading or bashing people? That's just plain old aggressive.

Old 11-19-2010, 08:04 AM

992 posts, read 2,372,457 times
I totally understand where the OP is coming from. My best friend is very thin, always has been, so is her mother. She eats more than anyone I've ever known but she gains no weight. She'd like to, but she can't. People comment to her ALL THE TIME to eat a sandwich, put on some weight, etc. I see how badly it hurts her and we have talked at length about this. I, on the other hand, am larger. I'm not fat; I'm 5'7", 180 lbs. I'm overweight, but I like to think my weight is evenly distributed. I've never been called fat (at least not to my face) in my adult life...in my childhood, well, that's another story.

Anyway, she is just as hurt by the snide comments as any overweight person would be. Why is it ok for people to snicker and tell a thin person to eat, but how dare we tell a fat person to put that burger down? Are overweight people more sensitive than thin people? Do they have more feelings? Heck no. We are just accustomed to making excuses for the overweight people...and feel jealousy or disdain for those thinner than us. It's not right, it's not ok. But remember, the next time you or someone you know says something about someone being "skinny" or "anorexic" they have just as many feelings as that girl eating her feelings at McDonalds.

Old 11-19-2010, 08:12 AM

41,940 posts, read 75,144,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by *VaNiLlaGoRrilLa* View Post
I am so sick of seeing these shows/magazines about “curvy and proud” women, “real” women.
Why would anyone be outraged at another person being proud of who they are? Try not to contribute to the polarization of our society any more than you already have.

Quote:
clear health issues and terrible eating habits.
Overweight women are the only ones who have health problems and poor eating habits? I think not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty