U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2010, 09:20 AM

25,907 posts, read 34,981,619 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bjones1976 View Post
Look up the word disgust (OP'S WORD) Julia, then the word hate (ALSO RELATING TO THE OP'S WORD)

Re: VG's point about thin bashing: Just as bad, however clearly sounding like an attempt at justifying the OP's issues IN THIS THREAD. My suggestion, hurry up and start a thread about how disgusted (which is an extreme dislike or revulsion,) you (or whomever) are about skinny girls celebrating and watch me go!

Until then stay on topic and STOP trying to distract the readers from the "DISGUST for obese" topic at hand.

Oh and what I want people to stop doing, is ignoring their issues (and problems) and dwelling on others (or trying to convince them that they should have issues for you to dwell on while ignoring issues) !
I apologize, but I don't see it. I even ran a search on this thread for the word, but I am only seeing it in your posts and mine to you.

My point is that quite a bit of the victimization overweight people feel comes from within. Like my initial response said, I think it's a good thing to encourage women to feel beautiful and feminine, but it's also valid to point out that being obese is not healthy and nothing to particularly celebrate. Nor is being severely underweight anything to celebrate. Runway models are not role models--they have no role other than to wear clothes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2010, 09:30 AM

3,668 posts, read 5,735,489 times
So this nanny state is not wanted when it encourages one to live a more healthy lifestyle but it is wanted and needed when one can no longer work (or even if they can) but require health care on the tax payer dime? We cannot have it both ways people.

Old 11-19-2010, 10:00 AM

1,271 posts, read 3,585,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
You can't control what people say. That does not make any kind of verbal bullying right, but bear with me here.

You can control how you react to what other people say, however; I believe that's what Bjones is trying to suggest to the OP. Please correct me if I'm in error.

Good point, and something to watch out for.
You got it right OHIOGIRL

Old 11-19-2010, 10:05 AM

19,126 posts, read 25,794,118 times
I'm a little overweight and should probably lose around 30 or 40 lbs... now, I'm also a 6'1 tall woman so the weight isn't as noticeable as it would be on someone who is 5'2. I for one am NOT okay with being told to 'celebrate my curves'... yes, I have curves (large breasts, fairly narrow waist, wide hips etc.) but I am by no means healthy. The extra weight puts strain on your joints and makes your organs work that much harder to maintain stasis and move you around.

I don't make fun of people based on their weight, but I think many people who are 'celebrating their curves' are just plain fat and could probably lose a few lbs to make themselves healthier. Curvy women are women like Kim Kardashian or Christina Hendrix... and when I lose my weight I hope to keep my curves but still be healthy. I have multiple medical conditions on top of working full time, a part time job AND being in school part time, so if I can do it anyone else should be able to as well.

Old 11-19-2010, 10:20 AM

I fail to understand how living and letting live encourages a person to remain unhealthy. The idea that anyone has the right to tell anyone else how to live is absurd and ridiculous and while I strongly believe the reason for the increase in ANY tax is because of severe financial mismanagement in the white house , I do know the influx in health care issues has a price. With that being said, we all pay taxes for things we don't agree with or support...it's the country we live in.

Interrupting the obese person's attempt at celebrating who he/she is where he/she is at makes no sense! How dare anyone of us tell someone else they don't have that right? People who feel this way need to truly ask themselves what would the world think about my decision to smile and be happy, if they knew what goes on in my life?

Think about it!

Last edited by Bjones1976; 11-19-2010 at 10:48 AM..

Old 11-19-2010, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
I don't make fun of people based on their weight, but I think many people who are 'celebrating their curves' are just plain fat and could probably lose a few lbs to make themselves healthier.
IMO, there is nothing wrong with you feeling this way. There is however a problem with thinking that because they are not living that way that they shouldn't be allowed happiness. Celebrating their curves is not tell you to go out and gain weight to look like them, it's saying this is ME and I'm going to love me WHERE I am.

Old 11-19-2010, 11:09 AM

8,957 posts, read 17,005,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by *VaNiLlaGoRrilLa* View Post
I don’t want to give anyone a hard time. But I also expect the same in return.

I just find it to be very unfair. Could you imagine if someone wanted to challenge the makers of the movie “Real Women have Curves” (a title which makes me as a thin somewhat curve-less woman feel terrible by the way) with a movie with a title something like “Real Women don’t have Back Fat”? There’d be an outcry!

I know it is all about making women feel good about themselves… but what about the women at the other end of the scale? I’m sick of being treated like crap because I am thin. I can’t complain about my weight without having someone roll their eyes at me and say “oh yeah, it must be really tough being that skinny”.
Me thinks you take yourself to seriously!

Old 11-19-2010, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
I apologize, but I don't see it. I even ran a search on this thread for the word, but I am only seeing it in your posts and mine to you.
I was referring to the definitions in the dictionary Julia.

Old 11-19-2010, 11:43 AM

6,039 posts, read 9,212,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Overweight women are the only ones who have health problems and poor eating habits? I think not.
No, but every single fat person has a health problem. You can't say the same for every single thin person.

Old 11-19-2010, 11:55 AM

10,892 posts, read 13,010,885 times
As a naturally skinny girl, I can see exactly where the OP is coming from.

I've heard some crude remarks myself about being "too skinny" or needing to "eat something", all from "bigger" women, which were directed towards me in a very negative manner. In one case, it was in front of a bunch of other people, so it was not only insulting but also embarrassing! I had done nothing to deserve the comments other than make a fat girl insecure with my mere presence.

I don't make cruel comments about people who are overweight, not to their faces anyway. I may have opinions on the matter, but I don't walk up to strangers, or even people I know, and say:

"OMG YOU ARE SO FAT, YOU NEED TO LOSE ABOUT 50LBS GIRL! HOLY SH**T..."

^^That there is the double standard...

My mom and I were talking about the obesity problem in the U.S., she said when she was a kid, there were maybe one or two "bigger" kids from "bigger" families, but there were not many fat or obese people at all.

That's the point as far as 'fat' being extremely common these days due to sedentary lifestyles, overly prescribed medications, and the convenience of fast foods on speed dial, etc.

Personally though, I don't really care if someone is fat or not, because it's their life and I don't have to live with it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty