U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2010, 12:00 PM

21,465 posts, read 22,698,975 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Cougar View Post
No, but every single fat person has a health problem. You can't say the same for every single thin person.
That's not entirely true. From this article: Obese people not always unhealthy - Telegraph

Quote:
They found almost a quarter of people who were a healthy weight actually had health problems such as high blood pressure, low levels of good cholesterol and high levels of bad fats in the blood.
And they also found that over half of overweight adults and almost a third of obese adults did not have these problems.
Body shaming isn't good no matter where you are on the spectrum, but if you've never had a weight problem hearing someone whose body type is praised as ideal complain sounds a lot like, "oh, my diamond tiara is so scratchy!" Even people (like me) who've lost weight see themselves as the fat girl.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2010, 12:59 PM

14,313 posts, read 12,569,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
That's not entirely true. From this article: Obese people not always unhealthy - Telegraph

Body shaming isn't good no matter where you are on the spectrum, but if you've never had a weight problem hearing someone whose body type is praised as ideal complain sounds a lot like, "oh, my diamond tiara is so scratchy!" Even people (like me) who've lost weight see themselves as the fat girl.

Obese people not always unhealthy............the same goes for smokers.........a lot of them live to a ripe old age.

Our society should quit vilifying people for their lifestyle choices.

I don't like the way this country is trying to control people's lives..........it scares me.

Old 11-19-2010, 01:11 PM

6,611 posts, read 10,946,003 times
There's a BIG difference between being "curvaceous" and fat and flabby to the point of obesity.

A friend of mine (yeah he is black) is always complaining about women (potential dates) who self describe online as "thick" when as he says "nah, you're not thick you're just FAT. Thanks but no thanks"LOL

Old 11-19-2010, 01:13 PM

7,371 posts, read 12,316,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by *VaNiLlaGoRrilLa* View Post
I don’t want to give anyone a hard time. But I also expect the same in return.

I just find it to be very unfair. Could you imagine if someone wanted to challenge the makers of the movie “Real Women have Curves” (a title which makes me as a thin somewhat curve-less woman feel terrible by the way) with a movie with a title something like “Real Women don’t have Back Fat”? There’d be an outcry!

I know it is all about making women feel good about themselves… but what about the women at the other end of the scale? I’m sick of being treated like crap because I am thin. I can’t complain about my weight without having someone roll their eyes at me and say “oh yeah, it must be really tough being that skinny”.
If that movie's title make you feel terrible, that's a problem you need to address. Those are your self esteem issues to work on, don't blame the movie producers.

Old 11-19-2010, 01:19 PM

21,137 posts, read 22,107,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Cougar View Post
No, but every single fat person has a health problem. You can't say the same for every single thin person.
Well....it kind of depends...I'm assuming that by fat person you are talking about a person who is substantially overweight...not just carrying around an extra 5-10 lbs...and by thin person I'm guessing that you are really talking about someone who is more within a "normal" range or who could stand to to gain a few lbs...not someone who is severely underweight (by the same percentage as the fat person is overweight....). Severly underweight people DO have health issues...Anyway....you are comparing apples to oranges....People who are extreme in either direction have health issues...people within the normal range - give or take 10 lbs are not necessarily unhealthy.

Old 11-19-2010, 01:30 PM

2,442 posts, read 4,874,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
Obese people not always unhealthy............the same goes for smokers.........a lot of them live to a ripe old age.

Our society should quit vilifying people for their lifestyle choices.

I don't like the way this country is trying to control people's lives..........it scares me.

Healthy overweight people and healthy smokers are an exception. The fact of the matter is both raise the risk of various health problems, and are the reason quite a few people have the problems they do.

And I agree. The control factor in this country is really scary. I think about it when I'm in line at the grocery store and I see the hordes of obese people who have their shopping carts full of junk food who demand taxpayer-funded health care when they aren't making any effort to reduce their health risks.

Old 11-19-2010, 01:47 PM

7,371 posts, read 12,316,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post

Quote:
They found almost a quarter of people who were a healthy weight actually had health problems such as high blood pressure, low levels of good cholesterol and high levels of bad fats in the blood.
And they also found that over half of overweight adults and almost a third of obese adults did not have these problems.
Let's translate this poorly written quote to put things in proper perspective.

Of those tested the following is true:

25% of healthy weight people had high blood pressure, cholesterol issues etc
50% of overweight people had high blood pressure, cholesterol issues etc
67% of obese people had high blood pressure, cholesterol issues etc

Those differences are ENORMOUS.

The article also goes on to say that the healthy weight people with problems tend to be old & inactive.... sounds like time has caught up with them.

A better title for the article would be: Obese people are mostly unhealthy, with some exceptions.

And the scary thing is, a LOT of people who are obese don't know it - they think they are overweight. For a woman, you are obese if 32% of your body weight is fat. (I've seen some sources claim 34%)

I googled around to find an image of someone claiming 32% body fat. Here is one, and it looks about right to me. (Before pic on the left of course!)

Old 11-19-2010, 01:51 PM

313 posts, read 374,222 times
No such thing as a "real woman's body" as far as I'm concerned. Heavier women are trying to claim that now, whereas as the fashion world has pushed their too-skinny models as "the ideal body" for decades. At least, that's how it looks to me. Haven't the skin 'n' bones "ideal" been forced down their throats? I think most dudes just like a healthy look and damn few go for extremes.

Old 11-19-2010, 02:10 PM

1,603 posts, read 2,681,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KC6ZLV View Post

And I agree. The control factor in this country is really scary. I think about it when I'm in line at the grocery store and I see the hordes of obese people who have their shopping carts full of junk food who demand taxpayer-funded health care when they aren't making any effort to reduce their health risks.
Sorry, but your post makes no sense to me. On one hand you're saying that the control factor is scary ... then you're saying that "hordes of obese people who have their shopping carts full of junk food who demand taxpayer-funded health care when they aren't making any effort to reduce their health risks" which implies that to you, your potential cost of taxes are being increased because of the Ho Ho's in this person cart and thusly it implies that you wish that you didn't have to pay that extra $5 (or whatever amount) a year in taxes to help with their healthcare. That's the kind of logic that scares the crap out of me. It's as if people are saying ... well, I don't mind paying my share of the tax "burden" but only if people subscribe to the same ideology as myself .... I'm pretty sure that's classic fascism. Just sayin'

I've seen many people on this thread state similar things. We as a society can't have it both ways. We can't bemoan government intrusion but then in the same breath bemoan about your tax burden because someone doesn't do what you think they should do. If that's the logic that we take then I want part of my tax money back because I don't have kids and don't want kids - so why should my tax money go towards schools, or healthcare for kids? You see that makes no sense. It's part and parcel for living in a society that has communal benefits.

Ultimately it all comes down to how self-centered our society has become. I personally don't give a flip if someone weighs 110lbs or 310lbs. I don't look at them as a "burden" on the healthcare system and *gasp* that might actually cost me an extra $5 per year in taxes. I'm personally just not that selfish.

Everyone has a personal responsibility to themselves to live their own life as they see fit. If someone is obese it is our responsibility as human beings to educate not tear down. It's our responsibility to the planet to be kind and offer support, not criticize. Weight loss and healthy lifestyles only come with education and access to healthy low-cost food. In the meantime, what's wrong with someone being comfortable within their own skin?

Old 11-19-2010, 05:42 PM

35,817 posts, read 39,346,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Why would anyone be outraged at another person being proud of who they are? Try not to contribute to the polarization of our society any more than you already have.
Good call. I can't imagine who in the world can find fault with someone having self-confidence and a healthy emotional outlook. Being proud of who you are is a GOOD thing.

Overweight women are the only ones who have health problems and poor eating habits? I think not.[/quote]

Seriously. I can think of quite a few coworkers off the top of my head who subsist on Taco Bell, troughs of soda, and cigarettes. But it's okay, because they're slim, right? That makes those choices healthy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty