U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2010, 06:06 PM

14,334 posts, read 12,590,587 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Good call. I can't imagine who in the world can find fault with someone having self-confidence and a healthy emotional outlook. Being proud of who you are is a GOOD thing.

Overweight women are the only ones who have health problems and poor eating habits? I think not.
Seriously. I can think of quite a few coworkers off the top of my head who subsist on Taco Bell, troughs of soda, and cigarettes. But it's okay, because they're slim, right? That makes those choices healthy.[/quote]
__________________________________________________ ____________

Don't think you should include smokers in your statement, they are being hit hard both financially and emotionally. They are vilified everywhere they go and are being taxed at ridiculously unfair rates. A pack of cigarettes cost as much as $11 in some parts of the country. $11 for one pack of cigarettes.......really? About 80% of the cost is TAX. Punishment, plain and simple.
Smokers are also forced to pay higher premiums for their health insurance. Some places are now even banning smoking OUTSIDE. New York City for one.

The successful campaign against smokers is why the obese are now being targeted. It has made hating people who have unhealthy habits politically correct.

The obese need only to look at the smokers to see what is in store for them.

{don't know why the whole quote didn't come up in the blue box}
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2010, 09:17 PM

11,672 posts, read 13,889,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by *VaNiLlaGoRrilLa* View Post
I am so sick of seeing these shows/magazines about “curvy and proud” women, “real” women.

The majority are overweight with clear health issues and terrible eating habits.

So because I am thin, I don’t have a “real” woman’s body?

And why is it is ok for a larger person to make fun of a thin person (skinny *****), but if the thin person does the same thing it’s discrimination?
You poor thing. Welcome to the world of the Fatties who have heard they are unattractive and disgusting from society as a whole for years on end. If anything this should make you sympathetic to those who have walked more than a mile in the shoes you are merely trying on.

Old 11-19-2010, 11:19 PM

304 posts, read 486,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
Well....it kind of depends...I'm assuming that by fat person you are talking about a person who is substantially overweight...not just carrying around an extra 5-10 lbs...and by thin person I'm guessing that you are really talking about someone who is more within a "normal" range or who could stand to to gain a few lbs...not someone who is severely underweight (by the same percentage as the fat person is overweight....). Severly underweight people DO have health issues...Anyway....you are comparing apples to oranges....People who are extreme in either direction have health issues...people within the normal range - give or take 10 lbs are not necessarily unhealthy.
The range is more than 10 pounds ( correlating to height) and also depends on age. Even a lower obese BMI doesn't impact one's life expectancy much when you're over 65.

Old 11-19-2010, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
Our society has given the seal of approval to treating smokers with hate and disdain. Smokers are causing health care costs to raise for all of us. Smokers are deliberately ruining their health. It is OK to dis a smoker, they are bad.

Now society is using the same mindset to target the obese. Overweight people are causing health care costs to raise for all of us. Overweight people are deliberately ruining their health. It is OK to dis a fat person, they are bad..
Once again, overweight people don't do that. Severely obese people do. And to impact your own life expectancy as much as smoking would you need to have an BMI of 40 or over. Not 30 ( where obesity randomly starts).

This is true generally, on an individual basis things can be different.

Old 11-19-2010, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D217 View Post

My mom and I were talking about the obesity problem in the U.S., she said when she was a kid, there were maybe one or two "bigger" kids from "bigger" families, but there were not many fat or obese people at all.

That's the point as far as 'fat' being extremely common these days due to sedentary lifestyles, overly prescribed medications, and the convenience of fast foods on speed dial, etc.
That is true, whole some individuals might be genetically pre-disposed to be heavy despite any overconsumption of calories it is unlikely that the number is equal to the number of obese people. I am not saying "overweight" on purpose as there's no scientific evidence that health problems start with a BMI of 25 and in fact 12 years ago the range went up to 27.

Old 11-19-2010, 11:35 PM

7,288 posts, read 10,380,577 times
Why don't you work on accepting your body type and quit focusing on everyone else?

If people roll their eyes, it is probably a compliment, because as you can testify firsthand, people hate fat people . . . so you should be flattered.

Old 11-19-2010, 11:35 PM

6,591 posts, read 19,803,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merovee View Post
I agree with all you stated and especially detest when I hear the above comment. Oh they are just jealous though to say such things.

Real women do come in all shapes and sizes, not just large and extra large. The average woman in the past was thin to medium but sadly that has changed. Same with soft drinks if one were to notice. Today's small was a large twenty years ago.
marilyn monroe was a size 14 that was average during her day, and now it seems if your over a size 8 your "fat"

personally i think its a good thing to teach young women to be proud of their bodies no mater what shape it is, be healthy look after yourself but dont be ashmed if your a curvy girl.
unfortunatly vanilla, as someone else said...your now seeing the same thing that "FAT" chicks have experienced for years and years (and still do) remembereing that in some areas youll be called fat if you dont fit in a size 0...

Old 11-20-2010, 08:04 AM

35,821 posts, read 39,419,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
Don't think you should include smokers in your statement, they are being hit hard both financially and emotionally. They are vilified everywhere they go and are being taxed at ridiculously unfair rates. A pack of cigarettes cost as much as $11 in some parts of the country. $11 for one pack of cigarettes.......really? About 80% of the cost is TAX. Punishment, plain and simple.
Smokers are also forced to pay higher premiums for their health insurance. Some places are now even banning smoking OUTSIDE. New York City for one.

The successful campaign against smokers is why the obese are now being targeted. It has made hating people who have unhealthy habits politically correct.

The obese need only to look at the smokers to see what is in store for them.
However, the context of my quote was in the fact that as long as people are slim, it's assumed that they are healthy, which is obviously not an accurate assumption. There are plenty of ways to be unhealthy besides overeating. There's a double standard where it's considered fine to engage in unhealthy behavior as long as you're skinny...My former roommate ran marathons and was as thin as a greyhound...but she was an "I smoke when I drink" gal, and smoked pot as well. Not so healthy. But show somebody a picture of her next to a picture of somebody even only 20 pounds overweight, and I guarantee which one would be dubbed the "unhealthy" one. Not all unhealthy people wear their unhealthy habits on their hips, butt, abs, and thighs.

Old 11-20-2010, 08:07 AM

6,772 posts, read 11,591,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxywench View Post
marilyn monroe was a size 14 that was average during her day, and now it seems if your over a size 8 your "fat"
People always say this....but a size 14 in the 50s is equivalent to modern size 4, a 6 tops. I used to own a vintage clothing store. A 1950s size 14 is small by anyone's standards. 10 was the smallest size they made in the early 50s and is about a modern size 0.

Women in the 50s were thin. Much thinner than today.

Old 11-20-2010, 08:18 AM

35,821 posts, read 39,419,773 times
I'm pretty sure that every generation has had overweight people, as well as people who are neither thin, nor overweight. I don't know that I buy that "women in the 50s were thin," as much as I buy that "celebrities and fashion icons in the 50s were thin," much as they are today. My mom grew up in the 50s/60s, and I've looked through her high school yearbooks many, many times. Thin girls, obese girls, chubby girls, average girls, athletic girls, etc., all over all the pages. Just like now. I don't know that looking to people like Marilyn Monroe, who made their money off their appearances, and what clothing sizes they wore, are really valid examples of "what women look like," in any particular era.

Women come in different sizes and shapes. Always have.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty