U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-20-2010, 03:38 PM

1,994 posts, read 2,727,214 times

Advertisements

Fk me, you've really gotta be careful how you word things around these parts!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OngletNYC View Post
If that movie's title make you feel terrible, that's a problem you need to address. Those are your self esteem issues to work on, don't blame the movie producers.
Right, so I guess if they made one named "Real Men Screw Women" that'd be the gay man's self esteem issue, right? Not the producers fault at all?

That title, to me, is offensive. As far as I'm concerned it suggests that you're not a real woman if you don't have curves. In fact it says that exactly!

I am all for people being proud of who they are by the way - as long as they are being honest with themselves. It confuses me when all these women come out screaming "I'm big, and I'm proud!!!" and then 3 months later they're going in for drastic weight loss surgery which has nothing to do with health risks and everything to do with vanity. Where's all that pride gone?

Last edited by *VaNiLlaGoRrilLa*; 11-20-2010 at 04:10 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2010, 03:39 PM

19 posts, read 36,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
Would anyone consider the women in that painting "obese"? I think they considered themselves healthy and well fed, which is why they were attractive. Skinny was for starving people.

I would. I see three fatties in that pic.

But at those times you were right. Fat was in. Wasn't it called rubenesque?

Old 11-20-2010, 04:06 PM

29,597 posts, read 31,907,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtronic View Post
I would. I see three fatties in that pic.

But at those times you were right. Fat was in. Wasn't it called rubenesque?
I see big, but pretty normal looking women. With bodies that many women, especially after having kids, can eventually have if they aren't athletically inclined. I think of obese (or "fatties" as you put it) as being the ones weighing 250+ or being as wide as they are tall or the ones on TV that loose the weight. I don't think the gals in this pic are that way. There is nothing wrong with body fat in itself, it's when it gets unhealthy that it's a problem. People have a skewed idea of what's normal, whether it's too fat or too thin.

Don't let a little weight freak you out. You may be in worse shape someday.

Old 11-20-2010, 04:08 PM

2,551 posts, read 3,762,465 times
There's a difference between plus size and obese.

Old 11-20-2010, 05:13 PM

35,817 posts, read 39,346,783 times
Not in the eyes of some. I'm telling you, for some, there's fat and not fat. For some people, it's very black and white how they categorize others. I'm sure that I can think of people I consider to be of average build whom others would find to be skinny or fat, depending on their view and criteria for judgment.

Old 11-20-2010, 06:44 PM

17,414 posts, read 18,275,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoNative34 View Post
I'm going to call it "Nanny State" mentality because it is. Sorry.
Well maybe some people need an effing nanny!

Seriously, people are actually complaining about those who are trying to help kids to not die early from preventable health issues. If their kids were slowly dying because of any other injuruy they would be screaming bloody murder and trying to sue the heck out of anyone they could name and then some.

P.E. has been taken out of the public schools. Children spend all day everyday with their heads stuck in an xbox and the only exercise they get is their fingers from texting. They are eating chicken-fried mystery fat with a side of greasy carbo sticks for lunch everyday. They couldn't name (or identify) half of the vegetables in the grocery store if their life depended on it. They come home from school to an empty house after-school so they can eat PopTarts, Cheetos and smoke a joint. And then people scratch their heads and wonder "why" Americans are fat.

Yep, I'm thinking that maybe a "Nanny State" isn't such a bad idea.

Old 11-20-2010, 06:45 PM

7,371 posts, read 12,316,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by *VaNiLlaGoRrilLa* View Post
Fk me, you've really gotta be careful how you word things around these parts!

Right, so I guess if they made one named "Real Men Screw Women" that'd be the gay man's self esteem issue, right? Not the producers fault at all?

That title, to me, is offensive. As far as I'm concerned it suggests that you're not a real woman if you don't have curves. In fact it says that exactly!

I am all for people being proud of who they are by the way - as long as they are being honest with themselves. It confuses me when all these women come out screaming "I'm big, and I'm proud!!!" and then 3 months later they're going in for drastic weight loss surgery which has nothing to do with health risks and everything to do with vanity. Where's all that pride gone?
I am confused by people who smoke meth everyday... but I don't feel terrible when they promote their agenda. why do you let people with a weird, unhealthy agenda make you feel terrible?

Old 11-20-2010, 08:08 PM

35,817 posts, read 39,346,783 times
And if a 2002 coming of age movie about a Mexican-American sweatshop worker makes you feel badly about yourself in title alone, I don't know what to tell you.

Old 11-21-2010, 07:17 AM

25,907 posts, read 34,973,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
P.E. has been taken out of the public schools. Children spend all day everyday with their heads stuck in an xbox and the only exercise they get is their fingers from texting. They are eating chicken-fried mystery fat with a side of greasy carbo sticks for lunch everyday. They couldn't name (or identify) half of the vegetables in the grocery store if their life depended on it. They come home from school to an empty house after-school so they can eat PopTarts, Cheetos and smoke a joint. And then people scratch their heads and wonder "why" Americans are fat.
Come on, don't flip out. Be reasonable if you want people to take you seriously. P.E. has NOT been taken out of most schools, nor has recess been taken out of most elementary schools. You are describing an extreme. It's real, yes, but don't try to make the whole country sound this way. People who know otherwise won't believe you, and then they won't listen to you. If you want to help--really--tell the truth.

Old 11-21-2010, 07:43 AM

18,856 posts, read 30,447,336 times
For many, food is comfort. In this current economy, people may not be able to afford a vaction for relaxation, but they can afford to make a big pan of macaroni and cheese. Food has become the narcotic for the masses. Your life may be at a dead end, but you can eat until you pass out. But what is interesting to me, in working with low income women, they are either thin, and drug addicts, or fat, and food addicts. There is no in between...if you have ever looked at low income people, usually minorities. It is a social problem, deal with the depression that these people are suffering from. Their lives are so depressing, with a complete lack of hope that things will change, that t.v. and food or drugs are their only source of happiness. Children see their parents, and model from that same behavior. They don't see a way out of the misery. So, they can eat some mac n cheese, and be "happy" momentarily. It is a shallow, meaningless happiness, fleeting at best, but it is immediate gratification. Look at why these people are so unhappy, and want this immediate gratification...then start from there...now, that is the low income spectrum...

Higher income spectrum, they are happy, and for the most part, satisfied with their lives. They don't need ot work hard, they have achieved the perfect American life, with a home, a full time job, no motivation to be better, their lives are fine. They are now lazy, and don't want to make healthy food, or bother with exercise. They enjoy eating, and have the money to afford what they want. They don't go for mac n cheese, they go for upscale places to eat, steak, lobster, and even vacation to feed themselves. This is relaxation for them, not the desperation of depression at this level.

That is my take on this...and many women now, have to work full time, be a full time mom, and then, are supposed to work in a fitness program too...please let me know where the time is for that...This is funny, a side note, I went to a time management program several years ago, Steven Covey...very interesting...the man showed us his schedule, and he had time for work, exercise, time for working on his MBA. I noticed that there was no time in his schedule to clean the house, go to the store, cook food, sit with kids and do homework, do laundry...so I asked him where he fit those things in his schedule...his priceless answer to me..."I have a wife that does that stuff"...okay...waste of eight hours for me. And his wife did not work full time...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty