Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2010, 09:00 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,563,461 times

Advertisements

I am all for people being happy with themselves, and don't feel threatened when they are. Others, it appears, are not so lucky.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2010, 09:16 PM

1,994 posts, read 3,212,230 times
I give up. The thread’s all yours, BJ. Have at it.

Last edited by *VaNiLlaGoRrilLa*; 11-21-2010 at 09:29 PM..

Old 11-21-2010, 09:20 PM

1,271 posts, read 4,023,125 times
on to some fashion and beauty !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by *VaNiLlaGoRrilLa* View Post
I give up. The thread’s all yours, Bj. Have at it.

Old 11-21-2010, 10:11 PM

50 posts, read 124,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by *VaNiLlaGoRrilLa* View Post
I am so sick of seeing these shows/magazines about “curvy and proud” women, “real” women.

The majority are overweight with clear health issues and terrible eating habits.

So because I am thin, I don’t have a “real” woman’s body?

And why is it is ok for a larger person to make fun of a thin person (skinny *****), but if the thin person does the same thing it’s discrimination?

I have friends who are all shapes and sizes and I love them all the same, but I don’t think it’s right for this kind of thing to be encouraged.

Does anyone agree?
I couldn't agree with you more! Everyone has their vices; some people prefer cigarettes, alcohol, or prescription drugs. For a lot of people food is their vice. I understand that being overweight is also linked to genetics and other life circumstances such as prescribed medications. However, overeating is usually the common factor. Being overweight is terrible on your health, much like smoking and anything else I previously mentioned.

Old 11-22-2010, 02:27 AM

3,219 posts, read 7,080,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bjones1976 View Post
Oh I read them...I just don't think they justify being "OUTRAGED" at the pride others have for their size.

Where do you think the ideas behind the terms "curvy and proud" or "fat is where it's at" or "real women" have curves" come from?

I'll let you ponder that for a moment.

Instead of seeing it as some sort of DISS to your size thin women, why not see it for what it is,

..... which is

"instead of buying into the BS that because I'm CURVY, FAT, etc.... That I'm less of a woman or somehow not a real woman".....

I'll embrace and or proclaim that "I too am a beautiful REAL woman WITH my curves!!"
I'm not sure why you're so defensive. No one (at least I) said that women shouldn't love themselves for who they are and all that. But my question is, why the double standard? Why is it okay for people to make comments like "skinny b****" and "why don't you eat something and gain a few pounds?" but comments like "fat b****" and "why don't you skip lunch and lose a few pounds" are not acceptable?

Old 11-22-2010, 05:24 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,693,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
I am all for people being happy with themselves, and don't feel threatened when they are. Others, it appears, are not so lucky.
A person's recognizing that obesity is unhealthy does not mean he or she feels threatened. I don't feel threatened by obese people. Why would I? And threatened about what? I just realize that it's an unhealthy life choice and something more people should attempt to move away from.

I fully understand that not everyone is rail-thin (I haven't been in years and probably will never be again), and I know that many women are born thicker and curvier. Some women have thicker thighs and wider hips and bigger breasts and that's just the way it is. But that's no excuse to be a size 20. That's not carrying a few extra pounds or being born with a thick waist or big hips. I believe, as I said, that many people have gone overboard with the encouragement and "celebration," telling women that not only can they be size 20 and beautiful, but there nothing wrong with it. If there's nothing wrong with it, why would they lose weight? And I do want obese women to lose weight, not because I am threatened but because obesity is unhealthy, it affects their families, and it affects the taxpayers in the long run.

Old 11-22-2010, 04:17 PM

14,016 posts, read 20,902,793 times
Default Strawmen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bjones1976 View Post
I fail to understand how living and letting live encourages a person to remain unhealthy. The idea that anyone has the right to tell anyone else how to live is absurd and ridiculous and while I strongly believe the reason for the increase in ANY tax is because of severe financial mismanagement in the white house , I do know the influx in health care issues has a price. With that being said, we all pay taxes for things we don't agree with or support...it's the country we live in.

Interrupting the obese person's attempt at celebrating who he/she is where he/she is at makes no sense! How dare anyone of us tell someone else they don't have that right? People who feel this way need to truly ask themselves what would the world think about my decision to smile and be happy, if they knew what goes on in my life?
As far as I have read here, no one has advocated limiting anyone's right to celebrate anything or interrupting anyone's celebrations. Instead, what has been expressed is surprise and dismay at the degree of denial that would go into celebrating something which is unhealthy and abnormal. You make classic strawmen arguments in the paragraph above.

Old 11-22-2010, 07:16 PM

1,994 posts, read 3,212,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
But a lot of them are NOT happy with themselves.

These loud and proud ladies are often the same who go under the knife for drastic weight loss surgery which has NOTHING to do with health and everything to do with vanity. Can you honestly say if a magic genie popped up and offered a 500 pound woman the chance to look like Heidi Klum you think she’d say “no thanks, I’m happy with who I am”?

Old 11-22-2010, 08:02 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,776,455 times
Obesity isn't being celebrated. Women with flesh and curves, who depict the more "fertile" image of femininity are being celebrated. And personally I'm all for it. I've crossed over from being overweight into the obese category and need to lose weight, but I wouldn't want to be thin. I was never thin, and I never wanted to be. I'm not happy being as heavy as I am now, it's not healthy for me.

But when I get back to being fleshy and curvy, I'll be celebrating right along with the Playtex models who snicker about "their girls."

Old 11-22-2010, 08:11 PM

6,591 posts, read 24,856,918 times
my personal opinoion is NOONE should be discriminated against because of size, whether that size is plus or slim, fat or skinny, obese or severly underweight...

im obese, morbidly so, however im taking steps to fix that problem...not because i was ashamed of my size...but because my size was effecting my health.

BUt for every unhealthy fat person, theres an unhealthy skinny person...infact being underweight has more health problems associated than being overweight (not nessicarily obese) and i personally know that in my group of frineds, some of my unhealthiest friends (a couple of which were worse off than i was at my highest weight) are normal and slim people...

assuming because someones fat therir unhealthy is like assuming that because its cloudy its going to rain...
sure the 2 can be related...but its not an absolute fact anymore than saying all slim people are healthy.

i do think girls and teen girls particularly need to be exposed to more cases of body pride at all sizes...
i absolutly support the laws reguarding models being too skinny, and absolutly support things like tyras "real beauty" campaingns that try to teach young women that you can be beautiful and worthy of happieness no matter what your skin color, size, or sexual orientation...

honestly...if i hadnt had the health issues i did have i would never have considered weight loss surgery, i was quite happy at 350 lbs, i carried it well, was very active, incredibly fit (i walked 3-5 miles daily + gym + yoga, belly dance, pilates and hulahoop...hiking, camping swimming, climbing trees ect...there was nothing my skinny frineds could do that i couldnt, i even jogged a 5K (cant run due to an ankle injury)) i was just very large...

and those i hang out with, never cared about my size...
so neither did i...after all id tried everything in my teen years and nothign worked so why stress?
once that wieght however played a part in my health, i found my lung capacity decreasing and then was diagnosed with sleep apnea and a mass in my stomach that had to be removed i realized it was my body telling me, hey, we need help now.

i know some very large ladies, ladies that made me look like a super model (one is almost 600lbs...) both are healthy as horses, no health issues, they are active, regularly attend the gym, and they have this amazing attitude, they love themselves and they literally glow for it...my 600lb friend has a gorgeous boyfrined who is very attracted to her even after 3 years and she teaches a self confidence class locally. she gets a physical every 6 months as shes very involved in multiple fitness programs and they inssit she gets checked regularly...and the dr says every time that shes as healthy as a horse...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty