U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-18-2010, 03:58 PM
 
1,994 posts, read 2,726,892 times
Reputation: 1200

Advertisements

I am so sick of seeing these shows/magazines about “curvy and proud” women, “real” women.

The majority are overweight with clear health issues and terrible eating habits.

So because I am thin, I don’t have a “real” woman’s body?

And why is it is ok for a larger person to make fun of a thin person (skinny *****), but if the thin person does the same thing it’s discrimination?

I have friends who are all shapes and sizes and I love them all the same, but I don’t think it’s right for this kind of thing to be encouraged.

Does anyone agree?

Last edited by *VaNiLlaGoRrilLa*; 11-18-2010 at 04:07 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-18-2010, 04:25 PM
 
Location: The Hall of Justice
25,907 posts, read 34,966,446 times
Reputation: 42368
Quote:
Originally Posted by *VaNiLlaGoRrilLa* View Post
I am so sick of seeing these shows/magazines about “curvy and proud” women, “real” women.

The majority are overweight with clear health issues and terrible eating habits.

So because I am thin, I don’t have a “real” woman’s body?

And why is it is ok for a larger person to make fun of a thin person (skinny *****), but if the thin person does the same thing it’s discrimination?

I have friends who are all shapes and sizes and I love them all the same, but I don’t think it’s right for this kind of thing to be encouraged.

Does anyone agree?
To an extent. I think it's better to help women not hate themselves, because feeling beautiful is a great motivator. If a woman has terrible eating habits as you say, telling her she's a troubled fatty is not going to help her at all. So I think encouragement and celebration can be a great tool.

However, some people go overboard with it. There was a recent thread where someone posted about a dozen videos of plus-size fashion shows. That doesn't bother me; as a formerly overweight person I realize the importance of attractive clothes. But someone made an ugly comment about thin "regular" models and how the women in the videos were "true role models." Role models for what? Few women of any size look at runway models as role models; there's nothing to emulate other than how they look in clothes. A thin model may be that way naturally; she may be anorexic; she may diet and exercise; or she may do drugs. A "true role model" would be someone who lives a healthy life, and there's no way to look at someone walking around on a stage and know how she lives. I will say, however, that most of the bodies in those videos I mentioned didn't just happen. They were made.

I agree with you that it's wrong to make fun of other people's bodies, no matter what size they are. It's just as unkind to call someone a starved skeleton as it is to call her a cow. It's just as unkind to tell someone to "put down the ice cream" as it is to tell her to "eat a sandwich." I'm not always as kind as I should be, I'll admit it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-18-2010, 04:31 PM
 
304 posts, read 485,164 times
Reputation: 408
You do realize that overweight, obesity and morbid obesity and not all the same things and don't all have the same health implications? Do you also realize that underweight as seen on the majority of models, reduces life expectancy more than being overweight, to the point that we're talking about 10 years versus a few months if any at all for being overweight?

You need to educate yourself a bit more. And I doubt you're privy to everyone's eating habits, and bad eating habits and being thin are not mutually exclusive either.

No one should be made fun of for their body size, thin or fat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-18-2010, 04:37 PM
 
Location: Planet Eaarth
8,957 posts, read 16,997,019 times
Reputation: 7193
Quote:
Originally Posted by *VaNiLlaGoRrilLa* View Post
I am so sick of seeing these shows/magazines about “curvy and proud” women, “real” women.

The majority are overweight with clear health issues and terrible eating habits.

So because I am thin, I don’t have a “real” woman’s body?

And why is it is ok for a larger person to make fun of a thin person (skinny *****), but if the thin person does the same thing it’s discrimination?

I have friends who are all shapes and sizes and I love them all the same, but I don’t think it’s right for this kind of thing to be encouraged.

Does anyone agree?
Although seldom discussed there are many medications that have weight gain as a side effect. Consider that when giving anyone a hard time , IF they eat right and exercise, about their weight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-18-2010, 04:48 PM
 
1,994 posts, read 2,726,892 times
Reputation: 1200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tightwad View Post
Although seldom discussed there are many medications that have weight gain as a side effect. Consider that when giving anyone a hard time , IF they eat right and exercise, about their weight.
I don’t want to give anyone a hard time. But I also expect the same in return.

I just find it to be very unfair. Could you imagine if someone wanted to challenge the makers of the movie “Real Women have Curves” (a title which makes me as a thin somewhat curve-less woman feel terrible by the way) with a movie with a title something like “Real Women don’t have Back Fat”? There’d be an outcry!

I know it is all about making women feel good about themselves… but what about the women at the other end of the scale? I’m sick of being treated like crap because I am thin. I can’t complain about my weight without having someone roll their eyes at me and say “oh yeah, it must be really tough being that skinny”.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-18-2010, 04:58 PM
 
Location: North Carolina
6,772 posts, read 11,580,774 times
Reputation: 6501
I know what you're saying. I've been bashed on this very board for saying something similar...someone stated you couldn't be curvy unless you were at least a size 16. No you can't shop in a plus size clothing store unless you wear a size 16, has nothing to do with "curves".

Curvy has been bastardized to just mean fat anymore.

I'm not curvy. I have a boyish frame. Last I checked I still have a vagina and therefore am still a "real woman".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-18-2010, 05:30 PM
 
7,508 posts, read 3,593,891 times
Reputation: 3885
I agree wth you since I feel the same way as well. I am a thin and petite woman which I believe I do feel and look normal for a woman for my size. I don't make fun of people who struggle with their weight or anything like that either. No one has the right to tell me that I'm just a litle "girl" because I don't have curves or a big upper top.

This is just something random and kind of off topic, but I recall a lot of Tyra's comment to her "students" (ANTM) and how she keeps telling them "What kind of role model will you be to the girls". I'm thinking to myself...Tyra, these "students" aren't role models to the younger girls. There are two things that most girls can't achieve: body size (maybe but I'm referring to the models body type) and goal/dream to be a model. One thing that girls shouldn't have is their nasty attitudes in the tv shows. I personally believe that Tyra can be a role model but her message is telling the younger girls to be like her (tall, skinny and big breasts) but more in a secretive way that it's hard to see.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-18-2010, 05:35 PM
 
1,994 posts, read 2,726,892 times
Reputation: 1200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anberlin View Post
I personally believe that Tyra can be a role model but her message is telling the younger girls to be like her (tall, skinny and big breasts) but more in a secretive way that it's hard to see.
I agree completely!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-18-2010, 05:55 PM
 
Location: Middle America
35,817 posts, read 39,334,463 times
Reputation: 48613
Women who don't shred other women to bits over their size are my role models.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-18-2010, 09:59 PM
 
3,668 posts, read 5,733,649 times
Reputation: 1786
Quote:
Originally Posted by *VaNiLlaGoRrilLa* View Post
So because I am thin, I don’t have a “real” woman’s body?
I agree with all you stated and especially detest when I hear the above comment. Oh they are just jealous though to say such things.

Real women do come in all shapes and sizes, not just large and extra large. The average woman in the past was thin to medium but sadly that has changed. Same with soft drinks if one were to notice. Today's small was a large twenty years ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top