U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-27-2010, 08:06 AM

9,616 posts, read 11,066,557 times

Advertisements

Some years ago I traveled on business to Seoul, South Korea. (Nowadays, I'm happy to not be there...yikes!). I succumbed to purchasing a few Ro-Rexes, as we called them. Hey; why not? Cubic Zerconium clusters on an ultra-thin fake gold plating that goes green in a few months.... The works within however, were and still are quite reliable. A Korean copy of a standard Casio, Seiko or other Japanese movement. The original manufacturer, when I looked into it, was the aptly named Korean Watch Company, but with the accent differently pronounced, like the original "Corean" ceramics out of the US.

Anyhow, the movement was perhaps called intermittent? A step-wise, one movement per second sweep hand, whereas the real Rolexs™ have a continuous (or perhaps about 10/second) movement that appears to be continuous.

Well, now it's all changed. If you look up Breitlings or Rolexes, you'll find all sorts of very high-end knock-offs. A few years ago I liked the appearance of a Wohler watch that you can buy all day long for about $150 on e-bay. I'm not even sure to this day that there's an original Euro-brand - Swiss watch called Wohler; the website you go to when you look at the packaged warranty material does not even hint at a European source.

A friend of mine who wanted to be seen wearing a Breitling (and hey; who wouldn't, if it was real...) purchased, for about $350, a spectacular knock-off. He dove with it and it stayed waterproof, it keeps excellent time, it's made from stainless steel and is thus not turning green, and the band is very well made.

So this for $4600,...

Breitling Men's 'Bentley Motors T' Stainless Steel Chronograph Watch | Overstock.com

versus this...

Online Shopping: Save up to 70% off! Free Shipping! (http://www.foruggs.com/views.asp?hw_id=29152&class_id=63&sort_id=856&nsor t_id=896 - broken link)

...for $199. WTHeck, huh?

What's the point of paying for the real one I wonder? Obviously the technology exists to build a very good watch, visibly identical to the branded original, for far less than Breitling™ or Rolex™ are charging. Exclusivity is lost if the Asians are huddled in their shops turning out high quality replicas by the gah-zillions.

I know that Rolex™ used to pay US Immigration & Naturalization to confiscate faker watches from returning businessmen coming home from S. Korea. Ditto on faked high-end luggage. (funny, since a lot of the real branded fashion trash is actually made over there in sweat shops!)

BTW, I also wanted a pair of Nike™ sneakers, but they didn't have any at the shop I visited. I was about to walk out the door when the owner said "No please! You stay! I make you some Nike righ-now!" And he proceeded to stitch the correct (faked) Nike™ logo onto an unmarked pair of sneakers.

Any thoughts?
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2010, 10:52 AM

6,772 posts, read 11,586,219 times
It's trademark infringement. I abhor fakes. If the quality is that great they should use their own trademark and not steal someone elses.

Old 11-27-2010, 02:51 PM

174 posts, read 510,197 times
When it comes to watches, buy the real thing or buy something you can afford. Whem I see someone wearing knock off of a real watch it makes me wonder what else is fake about that person.

Old 11-27-2010, 03:57 PM

7,289 posts, read 12,876,040 times
Quote:
Exclusivity is lost if the Asians are huddled in their shops turning out high quality "replicas" by the gah-zillions.
Not at all. It's quite exclusive to own the real thing, when others cannot afford what you have, but covet it so much that they would acquire a fake, in order to appear like you.

Old 11-27-2010, 06:30 PM

1,964 posts, read 4,430,462 times
The main problem with those Chinese knock-off's is that few ppl trust those merchants with their CC number to place an order. Plus you can't tell just by pics how good of a replica they are, especially in terms of case finishing, heft & detailing of the numerals.

In many ways though I think you're right about knock-off's hurting the reputation of certain brands. Whenever I see a guy with a Rolex or Omega, I immediately ask myself is it real or not. In fact my dad doesn't wear his Submariner because one of his client's jokingly asked him if he picked it up on his trip to Hong Kong.

Old 11-28-2010, 05:04 AM

441 posts, read 1,157,804 times
Photo is fake, it's not the same quality compared with original. Try to hold real Breitling next to it and you will see the difference. Actually Breitling is not that much high-end brand... It's more sport watches and for flying fans. If you want some fakes, go get patek philippe or similar

Obviously manufacturing price of real Breitling is not 5k USD. You are basically paying for "feel" of hand-made watches made in Swiss manufacture with long tradition.

Old 11-28-2010, 02:21 PM

2,502 posts, read 7,887,010 times
Watches hold a of lot of sentimental value to me and I keep them for a long time, so I like to buy watches that I can take pride in. I would never feel comfortable buying a fake. I'd save up and splurge on the real thing or buy a quality watch in my price range.

Anyway, I think the businesses that create fakes are horribly unethical. They're stealing another brand's name to generate dishonest profits.

Old 11-29-2010, 06:25 AM

9,449 posts, read 7,600,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rifleman View Post
Some years ago I traveled on business to Seoul, South Korea. (Nowadays, I'm happy to not be there...yikes!). I succumbed to purchasing a few Ro-Rexes, as we called them. Hey; why not? Cubic Zerconium clusters on an ultra-thin fake gold plating that goes green in a few months.... The works within however, were and still are quite reliable. A Korean copy of a standard Casio, Seiko or other Japanese movement. The original manufacturer, when I looked into it, was the aptly named Korean Watch Company, but with the accent differently pronounced, like the original "Corean" ceramics out of the US.

Anyhow, the movement was perhaps called intermittent? A step-wise, one movement per second sweep hand, whereas the real Rolexs™ have a continuous (or perhaps about 10/second) movement that appears to be continuous.

Well, now it's all changed. If you look up Breitlings or Rolexes, you'll find all sorts of very high-end knock-offs. A few years ago I liked the appearance of a Wohler watch that you can buy all day long for about $150 on e-bay. I'm not even sure to this day that there's an original Euro-brand - Swiss watch called Wohler; the website you go to when you look at the packaged warranty material does not even hint at a European source.

A friend of mine who wanted to be seen wearing a Breitling (and hey; who wouldn't, if it was real...) purchased, for about $350, a spectacular knock-off. He dove with it and it stayed waterproof, it keeps excellent time, it's made from stainless steel and is thus not turning green, and the band is very well made.

So this for $4600,...

Breitling Men's 'Bentley Motors T' Stainless Steel Chronograph Watch | Overstock.com

versus this...

Online Shopping: Save up to 70% off! Free Shipping! (http://www.foruggs.com/views.asp?hw_id=29152&class_id=63&sort_id=856&nsor t_id=896 - broken link)

...for $199. WTHeck, huh?

What's the point of paying for the real one I wonder? Obviously the technology exists to build a very good watch, visibly identical to the branded original, for far less than Breitling™ or Rolex™ are charging. Exclusivity is lost if the Asians are huddled in their shops turning out high quality replicas by the gah-zillions.

I know that Rolex™ used to pay US Immigration & Naturalization to confiscate faker watches from returning businessmen coming home from S. Korea. Ditto on faked high-end luggage. (funny, since a lot of the real branded fashion trash is actually made over there in sweat shops!)

BTW, I also wanted a pair of Nike™ sneakers, but they didn't have any at the shop I visited. I was about to walk out the door when the owner said "No please! You stay! I make you some Nike righ-now!" And he proceeded to stitch the correct (faked) Nike™ logo onto an unmarked pair of sneakers.

Any thoughts?

A Rolex is a piece of jewelry with a clock attached. Buying a fake is just cheating yourself.

Old 11-30-2010, 02:14 PM

2,662 posts, read 5,138,277 times
Quote:

Sure..it may stay "waterproof" for a while, but when water starts seeping in and it stops running. What will he do then? Ship it back to Korea? He could be charged, if the watch is found and inspected by customs with the shipment of counterfiet goods. Frankly, I would be embarrassed if I had to go to court for a fake piece of junk.

It's better to shell out the extra money for the real, genuine and quality product.

I personally wouldn't shell out thousands for a watch, but I also certainly wouldn't buy a fake either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty