U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2010, 09:15 AM

1,055 posts, read 2,053,799 times

Advertisements

I see Indian women wear them all the time. Especially the grandmothers or wives. I wish I could wear one one day, but I am not Indian so I think it would look weird on me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2010, 12:17 PM

13,692 posts, read 15,115,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
I think they are exotic and beautiful, but I do think they look a little odd on women of other ethnicities. Some women can carry the look well, though.
This is not flattering at all in my opinion. Maybe it's her hair.

Frankly. I don't mind seeing them worn for formal occasions, but not something I think is practical in the USA because of our weather in the winter.

Old 12-16-2010, 04:53 PM

10,236 posts, read 13,520,511 times
I LOVE sarees! I love to see East Indian women wear them, they are so soft and colorful and feminine. And, while it's their exclusive dress, I would secretly love it if they became a fad for awhile. Because I would wear them.

I have a couple of Asian tops that are beautiful and have drawn compliments from Asian men.

Old 12-16-2010, 10:40 PM

7,508 posts, read 3,594,507 times
I'm sure most of you guys can pull it off. There are different kinds of sarees so it's only a matter of the colors and how you wear it.

Old 12-17-2010, 05:01 PM

22,583 posts, read 11,766,291 times
I love them. I think they are beautiful. I have been to India four times in the past dozen years (one trip for 3 months) and sadly I see they are diminishing even in India.

Old 12-17-2010, 08:31 PM

7,508 posts, read 3,594,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
I love them. I think they are beautiful. I have been to India four times in the past dozen years (one trip for 3 months) and sadly I see they are diminishing even in India.
Oh really? That's sad. Where part of India were you in?

Old 12-17-2010, 09:20 PM

Location: Back in Melbourne.....home of road rage and aggression
402 posts, read 966,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opsimathia View Post
I think they are beautiful too. I stare at them anytime I see them. They make me smile instantly. I don't think I ever saw one on anyone that was not Indian though.
I love them, think they are beautiful. I've seen a few woman who are clearly NOT of the ethnic norm for sarees, and it looks a little like they're playing dress up. But I'd think the same if I saw a causcasion woman running around in a kimono and obi or a non-caucasion prancing around in tracht.

Old 12-17-2010, 10:00 PM

22,583 posts, read 11,766,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anberlin View Post
Oh really? That's sad. Where part of India were you in?
Well during my three months in India in 2001 I was touring from top to bottom. Most recent trip in 2007 was a month in Northern India: Delhi, Varansai, Bodh Gaya, Chandigarh, Shimla, Kulu Valley, Manali and Rotan Pass in the Himalayas, Dharamsala. On my first trip I spent 2 weeks touring Rajastan: Udaipur, Jaipur, Jodhpur, Ranakpur, and Pushkar. Of course I've been to Mumbai and Kolkata, but I did not find these big cities so interesting.

Being a spiritual person I especially liked the spiritual places, such as Amritsar in the Pujab (the Golden Temple of the Sikhs), Haridwar, Reshikish, Varanasi (all on the holy Ganges), Bodh Gaya (where the Lord Buddha attained supreme enlightment), Sarnath (where the Buddha preached his first sermon), Madurai and it's unbelievable temples in southern India, the Jain temple in Ranakpur, etc.

Old 12-18-2010, 03:56 PM

3,338 posts, read 5,536,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerlillydownunder View Post
I love them, think they are beautiful. I've seen a few woman who are clearly NOT of the ethnic norm for sarees, and it looks a little like they're playing dress up. But I'd think the same if I saw a causcasion woman running around in a kimono and obi or a non-caucasion prancing around in tracht.

Yeah, but you know what is appropriate or even traditional for one nationality or ethnicity changes with the times and the climes -- culture doesn't stand still, not the least in our globalized society.

Business men of all nationalities around the world wearing neckties take it for granted that it's part of formal attire -- new meaning taken from a traditional Croatian military kerchief of old.

Women in some tropical Asian and African countries used to go bare-chested in the fields without locals batting an eye (while shocking the more prudish missionaries of Victorian times), but now dress even more conservatively than Americans and Europeans.

Times change.

Old 12-18-2010, 08:37 PM

3,487 posts, read 6,125,682 times
Are her eyes naturally blue? I seriously think she is one of the most beautiful women in media. She could wear a potato sack.

Lots of Indians wear sarees here. Don't see many white people do it. Personally I would like to have one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty