U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2010, 08:12 PM

35,817 posts, read 39,361,269 times

Advertisements

In all honesty, I would prefer to see younger girls who are lacking enough in self-consciousness that they're okay with being seen in a messy ponytail and pair of knit pants. As long as it's not wholly inappropriate for the occasion, like wearing lounging attire to a formal dinner or a funeral visitation, I don't really see the issue - I don't bat an eye at a teenager in the grocery store buying a gallon of milk for her mom, wearing flannel lounge pants and flip flops, say. While I understand why some bemoan the loss of formal attire in society, I'd rather see young women who aren't afraid to leave the house without an hour of primping, full application of makeup, and hair done. As long as nobody's obscene, I think that being comfortable in one's natural, casual state is fine for most casual settings.

On the topic of Uggs, I don't find them especially flattering, but for what they cost, if I DID have a pair, I'd damned sure be wearing them everywhere and every chance I got. They cost entirely too much to be relegated to something just to be worn as house slippers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2010, 08:17 PM

35,817 posts, read 39,361,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
It always cracks me up when I see people wearing Ugg or Ugg type boots as 'fashion'. I wore them growing up because they kept my feet warm when I was mucking out livestock pens in the morning. Mine were covered in cow/pig/goat/chicken/rabbit etc. crap and looked like hell...but boy were they comfy and they lasted FOREVER.
That's fads for you, though.

My dad said the same thing when I was a teen and everyone was all about Doc Martens as fashion statements if they were grunge and Timberlands if they were hip hop. He was bemused that anybody would wear combat/work boots as fashion.

Old 12-05-2010, 03:07 AM

3,487 posts, read 6,127,016 times
Sometimes young people don't do their laundry and all they have is pj's. And they don't care what others think because they know that they have the right to dress however they feel comfy.

Old 12-05-2010, 10:01 AM

10,892 posts, read 13,013,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miyu View Post
Sometimes young people don't do their laundry and all they have is pj's.
So what you're saying is the pajamas are dirty then too, lovely! lol

Old 12-06-2010, 09:32 AM

8,668 posts, read 19,917,306 times
Well, I can't see ever wearing pajamas out in public, but I'm old. It is just fads and there will likely always be fads that are new and edgy. Otherwise, they wouldn't be fads. I remember (again, I'm 55!) when the schools started letting the girls wear jeans to school and I was dressed in my jeans and thought I looked real cute. My mother came in and said empatically, "SURELY, you are NOT planning to wear that to school!!!!"

Old 12-06-2010, 10:28 AM

15,191 posts, read 16,044,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by new2colo View Post
Why do you care what other people have on? I have a cousin who walks around with his pants low. I got in a physical altercation with a lady one time who actually had the nerve to tell him to pull his pants up. What does it matter? He is clothed and is not exposing any body parts.

I have worn flip-flops to weddings, graduations, and baptisms. What's the problem? It's not like I'm throwing my feet in people's faces. I just like to have my toes air out.
Relax, sis. Like I said earlier, this is the Fashion and Beauty forum--where people get to comment on beauty and fashion.

Again, I'm certainly older than you and am willing to chalk my opinions up to my age. But the way you dress tells other people how you feel, not only about yourself, but about them and the occasion as well. Otherwise, we'd all wear flour sacks all the time.

As for flip-flops at a funeral, to me, a funeral is a somber occasion and I think the clothes one wears should acknowledge that. Your clothes should say that you recognize that this is a very important, often heart-wrenching, event for the people involved. Flip-flops say that you consider this just another little thing you have to do today. Surely your toes can go without air for an hour or so while you pay your respects to someone's loved one?

Old 12-06-2010, 11:01 AM

1,354 posts, read 5,627,670 times
The sloppy look was popular in the 90s, only we called it Grunge. I remember my mom being horrified at what some of my friends wore, lol. Jeans with holes, old flannel shirt, boots with the laces un-done, and messy ponytails.

Old 12-06-2010, 12:33 PM

19,126 posts, read 25,794,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
Relax, sis. Like I said earlier, this is the Fashion and Beauty forum--where people get to comment on beauty and fashion.

Again, I'm certainly older than you and am willing to chalk my opinions up to my age. But the way you dress tells other people how you feel, not only about yourself, but about them and the occasion as well. Otherwise, we'd all wear flour sacks all the time.

As for flip-flops at a funeral, to me, a funeral is a somber occasion and I think the clothes one wears should acknowledge that. Your clothes should say that you recognize that this is a very important, often heart-wrenching, event for the people involved. Flip-flops say that you consider this just another little thing you have to do today. Surely your toes can go without air for an hour or so while you pay your respects to someone's loved one?
That's a toughie... I went to my friends Mom's funeral barefoot and wearing a bright blue summer dress. She believed funerals were to celebrate a person's life, not sit and cry about their passing. We all wore her favorite colors (blue and green) and drank, ate, played music and just talked about how wonderful she was.... I'd take that over a somber funeral any day

Old 12-06-2010, 01:02 PM

15,191 posts, read 16,044,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
That's a toughie... I went to my friends Mom's funeral barefoot and wearing a bright blue summer dress. She believed funerals were to celebrate a person's life, not sit and cry about their passing. We all wore her favorite colors (blue and green) and drank, ate, played music and just talked about how wonderful she was.... I'd take that over a somber funeral any day
Guess it depends on the funeral. The one I came home from remarking about people wearing flipflops was for a 12-year-old girl who died unexpectedly. It was heartbreaking. I'm sure the family didn't even notice because they were so grief-stricken, but I thought some people were dressed like they were going to go to the movies right afterward.

Again, I'm willing to chalk my attitude up to my age.

Old 12-06-2010, 01:46 PM

12,900 posts, read 18,450,622 times
Default The New Style of....I Look Like Cr*p!

Hey, I like it! It makes for a cheap clothing budget. Suddenly the kids WANT to go shopping at goodwill. (the DI here in UT)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty