U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2010, 02:56 PM

10,236 posts, read 13,518,037 times

Advertisements

I absolutely cannot stand to see people in their sleepwear out in public. Just can't. I know I live in the Land of Ultimate Casualness (northwest) but seeing people at their worst is NOT something I'm able to get used to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2010, 04:54 PM

5,019 posts, read 12,468,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrEarth View Post
Maybe it is where I live, but in my medium sized Midwestern city I have noticed a style of clothing with younger people. It seems it has become fashionable to wear slippers and pajamas everywhere, or pajamas and Ugg boots.

I don't dress fancy, nor am I old (30s), but it takes the same amount of time to put on pants and a shirt.

Anyway, I don't really care. Well, other than looking at pretty girls who don't dress like cr*p, which is more difficult in my land of frumpiness.

Just an observation.

Well. I am deciding I kind of like this trend.

Why?

Because I am a woman in my mid-40s. The other day I ran an errand in dark-wash jeans, a simple grey cashmere sweater, and some basic black boots. I had my hair combed into a slick pony tail and had moisturizer and a smear of tinted lip balm. Verrrry casual. Quite comfy.

Damnnnnn if I didn't look better than half of the teenagers and 20-somethings in the store.

I mean, really, if the younger ladies want to clomp around in baggy pjs and greasy hair....well, more power to them!

Y'all are making us older women look mighty damn fine.

Old 12-07-2010, 07:47 PM

3,111 posts, read 6,741,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plaidmom View Post

Why?

Because I am a woman in my mid-40s. The other day I ran an errand in dark-wash jeans, a simple grey cashmere sweater, and some basic black boots. I had my hair combed into a slick pony tail and had moisturizer and a smear of tinted lip balm. Verrrry casual. Quite comfy.

Damnnnnn if I didn't look better than half of the teenagers and 20-somethings in the store.

I mean, really, if the younger ladies want to clomp around in baggy pjs and greasy hair....well, more power to them!

Yep, I agree. It doesn't take much to look nice.

Old 12-08-2010, 04:45 AM

Location: Back in Melbourne.....home of road rage and aggression
402 posts, read 966,928 times
Quote:

Why?

You know, plaidmom, I never thought of it like that! By jinx you've got it! I will now remember to be thankful every time I see one of these unkempt urchins out and about.

Old 12-08-2010, 05:36 AM

25,907 posts, read 34,966,446 times
Quote:

Why?

Hahaha ... this is true!

Old 12-08-2010, 09:30 AM

1,489 posts, read 1,846,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
Relax, sis. Like I said earlier, this is the Fashion and Beauty forum--where people get to comment on beauty and fashion.

Again, I'm certainly older than you and am willing to chalk my opinions up to my age. But the way you dress tells other people how you feel, not only about yourself, but about them and the occasion as well. Otherwise, we'd all wear flour sacks all the time.

As for flip-flops at a funeral, to me, a funeral is a somber occasion and I think the clothes one wears should acknowledge that. Your clothes should say that you recognize that this is a very important, often heart-wrenching, event for the people involved. Flip-flops say that you consider this just another little thing you have to do today. Surely your toes can go without air for an hour or so while you pay your respects to someone's loved one?
I am not too young myself. Just turned 35.

I refuse to read that much into what people have on. If a family member of mine were to die and someone showed up in swimwear I would just be happy that they were there to pay respect.

This idea of dressing for the occasion is outdated. If I want to wear bike shorts and crop top jacket to a wedding, I will. No one is going to stop me. They should be glad that I decided to even show up.

Old 12-08-2010, 09:35 AM

15,187 posts, read 16,039,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by new2colo View Post
I am not too young myself. Just turned 35.

I refuse to read that much into what people have on. If a family member of mine were to die and someone showed up in swimwear I would just be happy that they were there to pay respect.

This idea of dressing for the occasion is outdated. If I want to wear bike shorts and crop top jacket to a wedding, I will. No one is going to stop me. They should be glad that I decided to even show up.
There's just not a lot I can add to this.

Old 12-08-2010, 10:40 AM

21,464 posts, read 22,698,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesmama View Post
I absolutely cannot stand to see people in their sleepwear out in public. Just can't. I know I live in the Land of Ultimate Casualness (northwest) but seeing people at their worst is NOT something I'm able to get used to.
Don't go to the airport, then. I know people want to be comfortable when they fly, but it's possible to do that without wearing your bathrobe in public.

Old 12-08-2010, 11:35 AM

10,892 posts, read 13,008,285 times
Quote:

This idea of dressing for the occasion is outdated. If I want to wear bike shorts and crop top jacket to a wedding, I will.
Talk about outdated! This isn't the 80's! lol

Old 12-08-2010, 11:54 AM

23,903 posts, read 31,130,282 times
Quote:
I am in Wal-Mart trying to get items for my household, not a modeling contract. As long as I am not at risk of being charged with public indecency, what is the problem?

There is no public health hazard with wearing bed clothes anywhere. With the number of people who walk around with unwashed hands, underwear that hasn't been changed in days, and just general body secretions, me wearing my bed clothes should be the least of anyone's worries!

I have worn flip-flops to weddings, graduations, and baptisms. What's the problem? It's not like I'm throwing my feet in people's faces. I just like to have my toes air out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
the way you dress tells other people how you feel, not only about yourself, but about them and the occasion as well. Otherwise, we'd all wear flour sacks all the time.

As for flip-flops at a funeral, to me, a funeral is a somber occasion and I think the clothes one wears should acknowledge that. Your clothes should say that you recognize that this is a very important, often heart-wrenching, event for the people involved. Flip-flops say that you consider this just another little thing you have to do today. Surely your toes can go without air for an hour or so while you pay your respects to someone's loved one?

THIS^^. Exactly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty