U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2010, 11:58 AM

23,912 posts, read 31,137,585 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by new2colo View Post
I am not too young myself. Just turned 35.

I refuse to read that much into what people have on. If a family member of mine were to die and someone showed up in swimwear I would just be happy that they were there to pay respect.

This idea of dressing for the occasion is outdated. If I want to wear bike shorts and crop top jacket to a wedding, I will. No one is going to stop me. They should be glad that I decided to even show up.
I can assure you that if you did, you would appall not only the bride, but most of the guests. And it would be incredibly offensive. And...you might be surprised and be asked to leave. No one needs you there...frankly, you should consider it an honor to be asked to attend. I am simply amazed that you really do not see how inappropriate this is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2010, 11:59 AM

14,874 posts, read 36,248,249 times
Quote:
Ugg boots may have been acquired as a gift or second-hand. Assuming that everyone who goes out with an expensive article of clothing on has paid full price is foolish.

I don't know who you would be trying to impress with makeup? I am in Wal-Mart trying to get items for my household, not a modeling contract. As long as I am not at risk of being charged with public indecency, what is the problem?

It sickens me that the UK is now banning people from wearing pajamas to the store. What does it matter? The store shouldn't care what you have on as long as you're spending money and not repelling other customers with offensive body odor.

There is no public health hazard with wearing bed clothes anywhere. With the number of people who walk around with unwashed hands, underwear that hasn't been changed in days, and just general body secretions, me wearing my bed clothes should be the least of anyone's worries!

Why do you care what other people have on? I have a cousin who walks around with his pants low. I got in a physical altercation with a lady one time who actually had the nerve to tell him to pull his pants up. What does it matter? He is clothed and is not exposing any body parts.

I have worn flip-flops to weddings, graduations, and baptisms. What's the problem? It's not like I'm throwing my feet in people's faces. I just like to have my toes air out.

Please move back to the country if the style of dress Americans offends you that much. My clothes come from Goodwill too. I will splurge every now and then at expensive stores like Kohl's and Ross.

Most of my PJs were gifts from years ago. They are faded with all sorts of tears, nothing indecent. I also don't use hair rollers.

Just do what you need to do in public and don't be so critical!
GROSS!!!
Why on earth would you not care about what you even looked like? Do you show up at job interviews with this same attitude and don't care how you are dressed?

While you might not think what you have on is indecent......... with this attitude I'm pretty sure that some of those holes and tears are in areas that CAN make it indecent.

Have you checked out People of Walmart. Going to take another wild guess and bet you have actually been posted on there.

Oh, and FYI, Kohl's and Ross are not "expensive stores".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesmama View Post
I absolutely cannot stand to see people in their sleepwear out in public. Just can't. I know I live in the Land of Ultimate Casualness (northwest) but seeing people at their worst is NOT something I'm able to get used to.
Same here. Why on earth do people think that I want to see what they sleep in. My pj's are not public attire. NO pj's were made to wear in public. I'm not that old and I've got two teen girls and NEITHER have EVER even ventured out in public w/ their pj's on. I've never had to tell them not too. They just don't.

Quote:
I am not too young myself. Just turned 35.

I refuse to read that much into what people have on. If a family member of mine were to die and someone showed up in swimwear I would just be happy that they were there to pay respect.

This idea of dressing for the occasion is outdated. If I want to wear bike shorts and crop top jacket to a wedding, I will. No one is going to stop me. They should be glad that I decided to even show up.
Probably because the people that actually want people in attendance at their SPECIAL EVENT don't invite you. The idea of dressing for the occassion is far from being outdated. Oh, and if you do show up at someones special event they do have the right to ask you to leave if you are dressed inappropriately.

Old 12-08-2010, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
I can assure you that if you did, you would appall not only the bride, but most of the guests. And it would be incredibly offensive. And...you might be surprised and be asked to leave. No one needs you there...frankly, you should consider it an honor to be asked to attend. I am simply amazed that you really do not see how inappropriate this is.

Old 12-08-2010, 12:05 PM

1,904 posts, read 2,484,538 times
Me, I love ugg boots. I love when girls where ugg boots, pjs and all that stuff that you "well dressed people" would associate with the phrase "Looking like crap."

As a matter of fact, I get mentally and sexually aroused when I see a girl in the general public with an attitude that says, "Today, there's something more important in my life than being well-dressed/presentable."

Old 12-08-2010, 12:35 PM

4,628 posts, read 9,028,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaykay View Post
My mother came in and said empatically, "SURELY, you are NOT planning to wear that to school!!!!"
I had/have very straight hair. My mother said much the same to me about my hair - "curl it!" Gotta love the mudders ~

Quote:
...If a family member of mine were to die and someone showed up in swimwear I would just be happy that they were there to pay respect.

I guess it depends. If the death were sudden and the relative had very little notice, I would only care that they showed up as well. But I'd prefer they not display their exhibitionistic behaviour at a funeral.

However, if one chooses to disrespect people by showing up in a ridiculous outfit for a solemn occasion I for one would have no problem whatsoever in making sure they left, if they even made it through the front door. The caveat being if they were mentally unhinged, I may be more sympathetic. It's all about the effort...

Old 12-08-2010, 12:45 PM

5 posts, read 5,880 times
I think some people just don't care about their appearance. They want to be comfortable and that's all that matters. I was in shock to see a mother take her child into the school the other day dressed in her pj's with a blanket wrapped around her. The kids can't wear their pj's to school so why should the parents?

Old 12-08-2010, 12:57 PM

5,007 posts, read 7,664,731 times
Quote:

Old 12-08-2010, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimmingchick View Post
I think some people just don't care about their appearance. They want to be comfortable and that's all that matters. I was in shock to see a mother take her child into the school the other day dressed in her pj's with a blanket wrapped around her. The kids can't wear their pj's to school so why should the parents?
Oh for crying out loud. That IS BAD!!!! That is just flat out L A Z Y! I've seen some in their gowns and robe but not get out of the car. Even saw one that opened her car door as the kids got out and then when she closed it her robe and gown were stuck hanging out dragging on the ground. I laughed as she had not a clue. I like how they think, no one will see me. Well, what if your car breaks down or you have an accident or worse, get stopped by the police. So there you are standing on the side of the road looking like you just rolled out of bed wearing your pj's. Yep, that looks good. NOT! It does not take that long to put on some decent sweats, brush your hair and put on some REAL shoes and not houseshoes. Take 5 minutes and do it.

As for being "comfortable" in this attire. NOT ME!!! NO WAY would I be comfortable running around dressed like that. I'd be flat out embarrased.

FYI, my husband has thanked me millions of times for actually caring about the way I dress. I might not be dressed to the nines but I'm not running around dressed sloppy or in dirty clothes or pj's. It doesn't take much effort to shower, do ones hair, put on some makeup and some clean jeans/slacks, a decent top and a pair of shoes. He has also thanked me for not wearing "mom jeans" or clothes equivlant to what his mother would wear like we see some women a lot younger than me wear.

Old 12-08-2010, 07:14 PM

3,487 posts, read 6,127,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D217 View Post
So what you're saying is the pajamas are dirty then too, lovely! lol
Clothes get dirty in direct relation with how dirty you get. I can wear the same work clothes or PJs for 2 weeks and they would not show any signs of wear. That's cuz I have no body odor. Just sayin'. What others don't know won't hurt them.

People who have other priorities don't care what others think. I can go out in public like a slob knowing that people might laugh or disapprove. That's their choice and bothers me not one bit. However, when I go to work or to some social function I will be sure to dress to the 9s, because of momentary vanity.

Old 12-08-2010, 07:51 PM

1,489 posts, read 1,847,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesmama View Post
I absolutely cannot stand to see people in their sleepwear out in public. Just can't. I know I live in the Land of Ultimate Casualness (northwest) but seeing people at their worst is NOT something I'm able to get used to.
I don't consider myself at my worst when in my sleepwear. I am comfortable and I just don't care. I'm doing me, I let others do them. As long as someone's parts aren't showing, there's no issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D217 View Post
Talk about outdated! This isn't the 80's! lol
Who cares what decade it is? I shop at Goodwill, I don't follow trends. While people are in tons of debt, scratching their heads why, I am going on trips and living a life of luxury in my "outdated" clothes.

Quote:
I have done it and the bride was not appalled. People know how I dress. They are more concerned with me being in their company than whether I am in a Carolina Herrera dress.

It makes me extremely depressed that you would attend a wedding where people would throw you out based off of what you have on.

So superficial.

Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
GROSS!!!
Why on earth would you not care about what you even looked like? Do you show up at job interviews with this same attitude and don't care how you are dressed?

While you might not think what you have on is indecent......... with this attitude I'm pretty sure that some of those holes and tears are in areas that CAN make it indecent.

Have you checked out People of Walmart. Going to take another wild guess and bet you have actually been posted on there.

Oh, and FYI, Kohl's and Ross are not "expensive stores".
How old are you? 17?

I have a job and get paid well. I don't know wear anything inappropriate to work. A t-shirt and old pants are acceptable enough. Others are dressed similarly.

Do you work or do you just sit at home being judgmental and self-conscious when you go outside? Unlike you I do not judge people based off of what they have on. Unlike you I could care less if I was on "People of Wal-Mart." Who cares what I'm on? What kind of insecure person would visit that site, sit at home, laughing at others for hours on end. If I choose to come out of the house with holes around my shins, I am not going to get carted off anywhere. That is not indecent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
Probably because the people that actually want people in attendance at their SPECIAL EVENT don't invite you. The idea of dressing for the occassion is far from being outdated. Oh, and if you do show up at someones special event they do have the right to ask you to leave if you are dressed inappropriately.
Maybe to you. But then again, some women like to get all dolled up and fit into stereotypes of a 1950s housewife. Not me.

I have never been kicked out of any event for the way I dress. Like I told the last one, if people are more concerned with the way you dress than enjoying your company, then you must be a pretty boring and uninteresting person.

Kohl's and Ross are expensive to me. Maybe for someone who probably spends all day in the mall, pretending that they're great, Kohl's is cheap and to be looked down on, but to people who are budget conscious, these stores aren't cheap.

It really is just apparent that you need to get a life. You aren't as fabulous as you clearly think you are, hon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wicked Felina View Post
I had/have very straight hair. My mother said much the same to me about my hair - "curl it!" Gotta love the mudders ~

I guess it depends. If the death were sudden and the relative had very little notice, I would only care that they showed up as well. But I'd prefer they not display their exhibitionistic behaviour at a funeral.

However, if one chooses to disrespect people by showing up in a ridiculous outfit for a solemn occasion I for one would have no problem whatsoever in making sure they left, if they even made it through the front door. The caveat being if they were mentally unhinged, I may be more sympathetic. It's all about the effort...
Exhibitionist? How is wearing bike shorts exhibitionism?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty