U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2010, 01:05 AM

13,295 posts, read 12,371,827 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raging-Hetero View Post
As a matter of fact, I get mentally and sexually aroused when I see a girl in the general public with an attitude that says, "Today, there's something more important in my life than being well-dressed/presentable."
+1 Very well said

Quote:
Originally Posted by new2colo View Post
This idea of dressing for the occasion is outdated. If I want to wear bike shorts and crop top jacket to a wedding, I will. No one is going to stop me. They should be glad that I decided to even show up.
I'd let you come to my wedding dressed in bike shorts...

Not sure I'd invite you though, you seem a little bit high strung

Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
Probably because the people that actually want people in attendance at their SPECIAL EVENT don't invite you. The idea of dressing for the occassion is far from being outdated. Oh, and if you do show up at someones special event they do have the right to ask you to leave if you are dressed inappropriately.
Same goes for you. My bride wouldn't be offended.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
I can assure you that if you did, you would appall not only the bride, but most of the guests. And it would be incredibly offensive. And...you might be surprised and be asked to leave. No one needs you there...frankly, you should consider it an honor to be asked to attend. I am simply amazed that you really do not see how inappropriate this is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wicked Felina View Post
However, if one chooses to disrespect people by showing up in a ridiculous outfit for a solemn occasion I for one would have no problem whatsoever in making sure they left, if they even made it through the front door. The caveat being if they were mentally unhinged, I may be more sympathetic. It's all about the effort...
I'd ask you to please not kick out my invited guests. You can choose who attends your somber occasion, but don't presume to speak for mine
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2010, 06:56 AM

25,907 posts, read 35,071,469 times
Quote:
Unlike you I do not judge people based off of what they have on. Unlike you I could care less if I was on "People of Wal-Mart." Who cares what I'm on? What kind of insecure person would visit that site, sit at home, laughing at others for hours on end.
Does your self-righteousness only extend to yourself and your shabby clothes? Apparently.

Quote:
It really is shameful the effect that this obesity epidemic is having on our country.

Fat is the new normal. I am starting to see commercials with morbidly obese people advertisting products, women are calling fat rolls "curves," there is a new diet out or "new" research from scientists out on a daily basis about how to lose weight, on and on and on. I am sick of it!

I would give anything for us to go back as recently as the early 1990s when most people weren't obese. When I was in high school fat was looked down upon. Now the bigger you are, the cooler you are. The most popular kids are obese, the prom queen and king are obese, the head cheerleader and the football captain are obese. It has got to stop.
Awfully judgy for someone who "doesn't judge others based off of what they have on." Other people's opinions of your clothes is no different from your opinion of fat people. You sneer at others--they sneer at you.

Old 12-09-2010, 09:25 AM

14,874 posts, read 36,325,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
Does your self-righteousness only extend to yourself and your shabby clothes? Apparently.

Awfully judgy for someone who "doesn't judge others based off of what they have on." Other people's opinions of your clothes is no different from your opinion of fat people. You sneer at others--they sneer at you.

BINGO!!!!

Hm, according to miss torn pj wearing almighty we are all living beyond our means and drowning in debt if we dress nice and dress up for the occassion. Nah...... that would not be judgemental for her to assume that now would it

Oh, and for torn pj wearer........... I actually own a business and if you came in dressed like you state you would not even get past the first person to be interviewed. Sorry, our employees are required to dress in a much more presentable and professional manner. Even our drivers that drive trucks and deliver products have to be dressed better than how she does. We have heard what the customers say and several have complained about our competitiers employees that are sloppy. I believe it does effect how one goes about their job. I'm also not going to be dressed so tacky that I can not go out and make sales calls to perspective customers or current customers. I can get a lot further in gaining new business if I am dressed for the occassion.

Hmm, wonder if she is married?
And no, I would not be on that site....... EVER!
First you would have to actually find me in a Walmart. Hate the store and their business practices and refuse to patronize them. Which is a whole nother story.

Old 12-09-2010, 12:15 PM

10,892 posts, read 13,047,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miyu View Post
I can wear the same work clothes or PJs for 2 weeks and they would not show any signs of wear. That's cuz I have no body odor.
Wow! Really, 2 weeks?

Old 12-09-2010, 12:41 PM

4,628 posts, read 9,044,800 times
Quote:
It makes me extremely depressed that you would attend a wedding where people would throw you out based off of what you have on.
It shouldn't. IMO, it's not about what one is wearing, but one's attitude. Seriously, bike shorts? I wouldn't care what someone wore to a wedding, but it is important to respect other's wishes, especially when a guest at a milestone event in someone's life. Don't you think deliberately wearing something that was intended for a sport event is an affront?

I couldn't care if someone dresses in inexpensive clothing. I shop at consignment shops and thrift stores, too. It's kind of a treasure hunt. But my clothes are always clean and unwrinkled. If I were going to a wedding, I would have the courtesy to ask what would be appropriate clothing. It's is simply a matter of respsect.

Quote:
Exhibitionist? How is wearing bike shorts exhibitionism?
Because you clearly would be out of place. A wedding is all about the bride and groom being the center of attention. Wearing bike shorts would certainly draw attention. It's not your day or your show (in the general sense). At minimum, unless you've got a body like Lance Armstrong or an Olympic athlete, you just are not going to look good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by filihok View Post
I'd ask you to please not kick out my invited guests. You can choose who attends your somber occasion, but don't presume to speak for mine
We are speaking in generalities here. Try not to internalize hypothetical responses to a hypothetical situation. It makes you look high-strung ~

Old 12-09-2010, 12:57 PM

Quote:

Exhibitionist? How is wearing bike shorts exhibitionism?
2 words:

camel toe

or another two:

moose knuckle

Old 12-09-2010, 03:25 PM

1,490 posts, read 1,856,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post

There is a difference between the clothes you have on and your lack of portion control. It really isn't rocket science.

I have fat friends. Do I hate the fact that they don't care about enough about themselves to diet and exercise? Yes. Am I nasty and judgmental like some have been in this thread? No.

Old 12-09-2010, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post

BINGO!!!!

Hm, according to miss torn pj wearing almighty we are all living beyond our means and drowning in debt if we dress nice and dress up for the occassion. Nah...... that would not be judgemental for her to assume that now would it

Oh, and for torn pj wearer........... I actually own a business and if you came in dressed like you state you would not even get past the first person to be interviewed. Sorry, our employees are required to dress in a much more presentable and professional manner. Even our drivers that drive trucks and deliver products have to be dressed better than how she does. We have heard what the customers say and several have complained about our competitiers employees that are sloppy. I believe it does effect how one goes about their job. I'm also not going to be dressed so tacky that I can not go out and make sales calls to perspective customers or current customers. I can get a lot further in gaining new business if I am dressed for the occassion.

Hmm, wonder if she is married?
And no, I would not be on that site....... EVER!
First you would have to actually find me in a Walmart. Hate the store and their business practices and refuse to patronize them. Which is a whole nother story.
A mother and a business owner who starts off a post with the word "gross" when someone says they shop at a thrift store makes you sound like an ignorant snob.

Why would you ever assume that I would come on for an interview to your "business?" I have better things to do with my life than to interview with some stuck up hot mess.

I am in a long term relationship. Unlike you I don't view my worth through my clothes, my job, and my relationship status. What a joke.

Old 12-09-2010, 03:40 PM

Quote:
"gross" when someone says they shop at a thrift store makes you sound like an ignorant snob.

I love thrift stores and Good Will. I always find cool stuff there for mad cheap.

Old 12-09-2010, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wicked Felina View Post
It shouldn't. IMO, it's not about what one is wearing, but one's attitude. Seriously, bike shorts? I wouldn't care what someone wore to a wedding, but it is important to respect other's wishes, especially when a guest at a milestone event in someone's life. Don't you think deliberately wearing something that was intended for a sport event is an affront?

I couldn't care if someone dresses in inexpensive clothing. I shop at consignment shops and thrift stores, too. It's kind of a treasure hunt. But my clothes are always clean and unwrinkled. If I were going to a wedding, I would have the courtesy to ask what would be appropriate clothing. It's is simply a matter of respsect.

Because you clearly would be out of place. A wedding is all about the bride and groom being the center of attention. Wearing bike shorts would certainly draw attention. It's not your day or your show (in the general sense). At minimum, unless you've got a body like Lance Armstrong or an Olympic athlete, you just are not going to look good.
You're assuming that how YOU would dress to a wedding is the rule. It isn't. Many weddings I go to are not large affairs and do not require people to wear uncomfortable clothes. I don't know where some posters on here got this notion that the way you show respect at a wedding is to wear ridiculous and unnecessary garb.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty