U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2010, 02:54 PM

25,907 posts, read 35,002,181 times

Advertisements

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2010, 03:49 PM

5,258 posts, read 7,793,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D217 View Post
2 words:

camel toe

or another two:

moose knuckle

Gross.

I do think that some people go overboard when trying to show off their goods.

Old 12-09-2010, 06:27 PM

1,055 posts, read 2,055,446 times
I have seen this trend. It looks so gross. It is like they take pride in looking like they had just woke up! And the crazy thing is, when I dress normally (jeans, blouse, boots) these same people ask me, "Why Marissy? What are you getting so dressed up for?" as if I am in business casual.

Old 12-09-2010, 06:59 PM

17,414 posts, read 18,289,408 times
Maybe I was born waaay too late (I'm in my 30s) because I really love the idea of "dressing".

I love looking at old photos of my grandparents (no longer with us) and they are dressed to the nines. The men wore hats, suits and nice shoes just to sit on the porch and socialize. The women wore nice dresses, stockings, gloves, heels and hats just to go shopping or to the grocery store. Everyone took such great pride in their appearance.

Old 12-09-2010, 07:14 PM

3,487 posts, read 6,130,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D217 View Post
Wow! Really, 2 weeks?
I'm wearing 2 week old pajamas as we speak (I put it on as soon as I get home). Still smells like fresh laundry detergent.

Old 12-09-2010, 09:44 PM

7,508 posts, read 3,597,130 times
I used to wear Pjs to school because I was lazy and it was comfortable. Sometimes I wouldn't do my laundry so I would just wear them. Now? I don't do it anymore. It's just not my thing. I just thought Pjs was suppose to be a private/home thing, not a public thing but I guess...People are going to judge you no matter what you have on. IMHO, I don't find PJs in public to be appealing.

Old 12-10-2010, 02:56 AM

Location: Back in Melbourne.....home of road rage and aggression
402 posts, read 967,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
Maybe I was born waaay too late (I'm in my 30s) because I really love the idea of "dressing".

I love looking at old photos of my grandparents (no longer with us) and they are dressed to the nines. The men wore hats, suits and nice shoes just to sit on the porch and socialize. The women wore nice dresses, stockings, gloves, heels and hats just to go shopping or to the grocery store. Everyone took such great pride in their appearance.
Calipoppy, we might have been seperated at birth. I love the way people looked up to the mid-60's, then it all started to go to ****. Although--I am a child of the 80's, and love looking back at the "trends" but I think that is more a longing for my youth rather than those trends specifically.

Still, I love the look of beautifully taylored suits, with stockings (not pantyhose..certainly no bare legs which I think just looks so unfinished...), elegant shoes with heels that aren't too high, too short, too thin, or too chunky--juuust right. Plus gloves, and hat and topped off with a fabulously coiffed hairdo and simple but flawless makeup. Just pure style.
And the men in their suits, polished shoes and hats, tidy haircuts and clean shaven.....so dapper. **swoon**

Old 12-11-2010, 11:35 PM

13,295 posts, read 12,351,556 times
This is from another thread, but it works just as well here

Quote:
Originally Posted by miyu View Post
Well, you can also make arguments that people need to excel in other parts of their lives.

For example, if people do not get all straight A's or make a good salary that is just unacceptable. If their body fat surpasses 24% for women, 12% for men, that is disgusting.

You can make up all sorts of standards all day long. But in the end, people will likely only agree with the standards that they personally value. It becomes a meaningless act. Especially when it relates to such a trivial thing, like having neat hair.

As somebody who has stared death in the face at age 23, and works with life/death situations in my daily job, neat hair is on the bottom of my list of priorities. And second to last on my list of things to judge others by.

Old 12-11-2010, 11:40 PM

2,858 posts, read 6,206,734 times
The new style of looking like crap? Sorry, this just means you are old.

People have been dressing like crap since the 70's hippie movement. The 90's we say grunge music become mainstream. Having longer unkempt hair became cool.

Every once in a while, I'll dress like crap because I don't care. If you want people to constantly dress well, you would've loved the 50's. People wore suits for plane trips and going to watch a movie. People also loved drinking and driving as well. Maybe because they spent so much extra time getting ready, they were forced to multitask.

Old 12-12-2010, 05:32 AM

18,294 posts, read 18,556,035 times
I wonder why people that care nothing about how they dress would even be on this forum??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty