Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2010, 03:54 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,709,696 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by new2colo View Post
Please stop worrying about what other people have on! Don't you have better things to do with your time?

Most younger people aren't wealthy. Have you ever considered that their frumpy clothes might be all they can afford or are willing to spend on clothes? Would you prefer people to run into massive credit card debt to look presentable for you?

Some mornings I will run into the Wal-Mart without my hair combed or brushed, with some old sweatpants thrown over the clothes I wore the night before, with some house shoes on my feet. I am comfortable and that's all that matters.

As long as my goods aren't showing and I don't smell, what's the problem?
I really don't care what other people do, but this is the beauty and fashion forum, so it seems like an appropriate topic.

I hate seeing people wear PJ's and fluffy slippers in public. But I'm willing to accept the responsibility for my small-mindedness and chalk it up to getting older.

I also recently attended a funeral and was appalled at what some people were wearing. I attributed that to my age, too.

But really, flipflops at a funeral?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2010, 04:51 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,628,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeet09 View Post
There's imitation Ugg boots now available at Wal Mart for $20 and all sorts of variations of them.
Doesn't make sense for folks to wear them in South Texas (where I live) as we haven't had any good amount of snow in 20-something years.
It always cracks me up when I see people wearing Ugg or Ugg type boots as 'fashion'. I wore them growing up because they kept my feet warm when I was mucking out livestock pens in the morning. Mine were covered in cow/pig/goat/chicken/rabbit etc. crap and looked like hell...but boy were they comfy and they lasted FOREVER.

Old 12-01-2010, 05:19 PM

36 posts, read 52,561 times
Uggboots are so ugly to wear out as a fashion statement!! They should be worn only at home!
My friends at I were at a show recently and some girls walked past us wearing ugg boots with mini skirts - they thought they looked hot but they just looked ridiculous! Even the guys I was with shook their heads and said they looked 'fugly.' If they'd just worn some simple pretty sandals, they would have looked really nice.

Old 12-01-2010, 05:45 PM

3,111 posts, read 8,055,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by new2colo View Post
Please stop worrying about what other people have on! Don't you have better things to do with your time?

Most younger people aren't wealthy. Have you ever considered that their frumpy clothes might be all they can afford or are willing to spend on clothes? Would you prefer people to run into massive credit card debt to look presentable for you?

Some mornings I will run into the Wal-Mart without my hair combed or brushed, with some old sweatpants thrown over the clothes I wore the night before, with some house shoes on my feet. I am comfortable and that's all that matters.

As long as my goods aren't showing and I don't smell, what's the problem?
Like I said, it's an observation. I'm not worrying about it.

I moved back to the US from a country where women and men would never go out in public in pajamas, slippers, etc.

Wealth has nothing to do with the topic. I buy my clothes at Goodwill, and they do have slacks and button down shirts that cost less than a pair of pajamas or sweatpants from Wal Mart.

More power to you if you choose to walk around with hair rollers, but it still takes the same amount of time to put on pants, a shirt, and shoes...nice or old.

Old 12-01-2010, 06:13 PM

5,142 posts, read 13,122,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
It always cracks me up when I see people wearing Ugg or Ugg type boots as 'fashion'. I wore them growing up because they kept my feet warm when I was mucking out livestock pens in the morning. Mine were covered in cow/pig/goat/chicken/rabbit etc. crap and looked like hell...but boy were they comfy and they lasted FOREVER.
Sounds like you made great use of them. Go on with your bad self!

Old 12-04-2010, 06:26 PM

Location: Back in Melbourne.....home of road rage and aggression
402 posts, read 1,160,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
JJ, you took the words right out of my mouth. They're not fashion here, just a necessary article of clothing. Not so much where I'm at, but in Victoria and Tas, maybe SA and s/e WA--a must have! And they do last forever, you hardly have to do anything to them! I wear mine in the house, and wear gumboots outside though.

I would never EVER wear my uggs boots (or my gum boots!) anywhere other than on our property.

Old 12-04-2010, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrEarth View Post

I moved back to the US from a country where women and men would never go out in public in pajamas, slippers, etc.

Wealth has nothing to do with the topic. I buy my clothes at Goodwill, and they do have slacks and button down shirts that cost less than a pair of pajamas or sweatpants from Wal Mart.

More power to you if you choose to walk around with hair rollers, but it still takes the same amount of time to put on pants, a shirt, and shoes...nice or old.
I agree DrEarth. You don't have to go out looking like you're headed to the Oscars; but you don't have to go out looking like a bag of $h!t either.

It takes no more time to put on a clean and tidy pair of pants/shorts/skirt and a shirt/blouse/top than it does pajama's. (less time if you're putting your hair in rollers! Has anyone ever rolled their hair? My God, it takes FOREVER!!)

I'd never wear pajama's out. I rarely wear makeup when I go to the shops nor do I do anything with my hair but a nice neat ponytail. I'm always presentable, clean and smell nice though. I don't see the point of getting all dolled up just to go and do the grocery shopping. Kind of pointless and a waste of time, and money for products. Just be clean and tidy. Nothing wrong with that!

Some people just have no pride about themselves.

Old 12-04-2010, 06:41 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,532,193 times
The People of Walmart blog says it all you need to know about people not taking pride in their appearance.....

http://www.peopleofwalmart.com/?page_id=9798

Funny Pictures at WalMart

Old 12-04-2010, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
The People of Walmart blog says it all you need to know about people not taking pride in their appearance.....

Funny Pictures at WalMart Photos

Funny Pictures at WalMart
Oh I LOVE The People of Wal-Mart. I always laugh soooo hard! Even though we don't have Wal-Mart here, we have it's Aussie cousin Big W. People here (Aus) love it when I forward the latest of the People of Wal-Mart emails that I get from friends and family back home (USA).

Australia's answer to the redneck or white trash of America is the bogan, only a very very watered down version. In fact, I'd go as far as saying that bogan really isn't that bad, just not very high class.

Old 12-04-2010, 07:59 PM

1,629 posts, read 2,629,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redjan1225 View Post
^^^ To play devil's advocate, the Ugg boots mentioned by the OP run upwards of $120 so the "broke" factor doesn't cut it.

Sometimes, I think people just like to look sloppy. They like to dress comfy and see famous celebs doing it all the time.

I can honestly say I've never worn pajamas in public nor have I EVER gone in public without makeup on. Not once.

But, times they are a changin' for me. I've got twins on the way and predict that my own personal appearance will soon be taking a back seat. Meaning I'll probably care as little about my own appearance as I do about other's. I have gotten a little sloppier over the past few weeks/months only because NONE of my pants fit me except my super-sized cargos. At least they are Ann Taylor, right?

Still, I will NEVER wear pj's in public and applaud stores that prohibit them (this is becoming popular in the UK). I think wearing bed clothes in public and then returning to bed in them later in the day is disgusting. Who knows what germs are lurking on the cuffs of the pants. Ew.
Ugg boots may have been acquired as a gift or second-hand. Assuming that everyone who goes out with an expensive article of clothing on has paid full price is foolish.

I don't know who you would be trying to impress with makeup? I am in Wal-Mart trying to get items for my household, not a modeling contract. As long as I am not at risk of being charged with public indecency, what is the problem?

It sickens me that the UK is now banning people from wearing pajamas to the store. What does it matter? The store shouldn't care what you have on as long as you're spending money and not repelling other customers with offensive body odor.

There is no public health hazard with wearing bed clothes anywhere. With the number of people who walk around with unwashed hands, underwear that hasn't been changed in days, and just general body secretions, me wearing my bed clothes should be the least of anyone's worries!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
I really don't care what other people do, but this is the beauty and fashion forum, so it seems like an appropriate topic.

I hate seeing people wear PJ's and fluffy slippers in public. But I'm willing to accept the responsibility for my small-mindedness and chalk it up to getting older.

I also recently attended a funeral and was appalled at what some people were wearing. I attributed that to my age, too.

But really, flipflops at a funeral?
Why do you care what other people have on? I have a cousin who walks around with his pants low. I got in a physical altercation with a lady one time who actually had the nerve to tell him to pull his pants up. What does it matter? He is clothed and is not exposing any body parts.

I have worn flip-flops to weddings, graduations, and baptisms. What's the problem? It's not like I'm throwing my feet in people's faces. I just like to have my toes air out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrEarth View Post

Please move back to the country if the style of dress Americans offends you that much. My clothes come from Goodwill too. I will splurge every now and then at expensive stores like Kohl's and Ross.

Most of my PJs were gifts from years ago. They are faded with all sorts of tears, nothing indecent. I also don't use hair rollers.

Just do what you need to do in public and don't be so critical!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty