U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2010, 03:20 PM

15,561 posts, read 29,317,641 times

Advertisements

I don't think she is too thin.

But I don't think she is very attractive either. She has really ugly eyebrows.

I would think there are prettier girls out there (in fact I work with a couple).

20yrsinBranson
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2010, 03:44 PM

7,371 posts, read 12,349,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
I don't think she is too thin.

But I don't think she is very attractive either. She has really ugly eyebrows.

I would think there are prettier girls out there (in fact I work with a couple).

20yrsinBranson
I work in a very fashionable district in NYC with models walking around all over the place. I literally see them everyday. Most are rather plain looking, very rarely do I see one I'd call beautiful. Which makes sense - their purpose is to sell a product, not to steal the spotlight.

Old 12-02-2010, 03:57 PM

13,258 posts, read 34,745,439 times
Considering the theme of this season's ANTM, she seems the perfect pick for winner. This is high fashion, serious editorial photography, couture design, and Italian Vogue. Angles, awkwardness, shadows, quirks, eccentricity. If it was about "classic" beauty I'd agree the other one would've won, hands down. But it wasn't, so Ann was the obvious choice.

I do think she's extremely thin but as others have already said, it seems a more natural thinness than any effort on her part.

Old 12-02-2010, 04:09 PM

15,561 posts, read 29,317,641 times
Yet another example of how utterly clueless I am about high fashion.

mea culpa

20yrsinBranson

Old 12-02-2010, 05:08 PM

25,907 posts, read 35,071,469 times
I think she is very thin, but it's only noticeable in the more waifish pictures. She has an interesting face.

Old 12-03-2010, 09:01 AM

7,508 posts, read 3,603,413 times
^I agree. She's not the typical model that would stand out but she has an interesting face. Height does a lot of things to a person and it seems that she looks normal. I think she is a little too thin. I'm thin myself and I'm short so my height helps me to look normal.

Old 12-03-2010, 09:23 AM

7,736 posts, read 13,997,816 times
Although she's thin, I don't view her as looking unhealthy when compared to some of the other girls out there walking the runways. And I think she has a beautiful face when done up. She reminds me of Karlie Kloss and that's probably a result of her height. It will be interesting to see how successful she becomes.

Old 12-03-2010, 10:53 AM

758 posts, read 1,320,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post

Being picked as ANTM indicates that a woman is very attractive. Or it's supposed to, anyway.
Not really. Models aren't really the most traditionally attractive people, or very attractive. And Tyra, especially has always been about finding the non-traditional beauty. Top Model has little to do with actual beauty, and more to do with what you make of what you got.

Personally, though I thought Ann was so overrated all season to the point that I actually got sick of her, she took STUNNING pictures, and I don't think she is too thin at all. I would kill to be that tall and thin.

Old 12-03-2010, 11:30 AM

862 posts, read 2,269,204 times
I did not watch this season, but looking at the pictures AND hearing that she is 6'2"- I really think its probably not anorexia just kind of an extreme body type. That is REALLY tall! I have a daughter who is 5'8'" and growing with size 11 feet and legs like a gazelle. She is a size 6 jeans but weighs 145 you would never guess it. Her bones just weigh alot!

I am not a proponent of emaciated models but I do feel that SOME models are just built really tall and thin and when they are very young and have their metabolism at top force they can stay that slim pretty easily and not have an eating disorder. But in a few years she will pop up to a size 4-6 and Calvin Klein will fire her .

Old 12-03-2010, 11:49 AM

862 posts, read 2,269,204 times
Just one more thing ( that's right girlfriend! ): as the mother of teen and preteen girls I think the thing worth fighting for in the media is DIVERSITY. I am raising my girls so that a super thin model is not going to cause them to quit eating, but they are able to see girls like Whitney who was mentioned, and other representations of healthy beauty. Its much better in that regard than in the 80's when I was a teen and my curvy figure was not in fashion any where. I had to find old pictures of Marilyn and Sohpia to feel better about myself. Anne's gangly crazy tall figure is going to make some girl feel beautiful, and she is. She is more nerd chic than heroin chic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty