Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2010, 10:47 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,680,133 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
I didn't watch the show--only saw the pix after she won. Seems like the people who watched the show really like her, so I'm guessing her personality has something to do with it.

I still think that in the pictures where the majority of her body is showing she looks frighteningly thin and unattractive. I would hate for my 12-year-old daughter to think that she has an ideal body--regardless of whether she's naturally thin or starves herself.
If your 12-year-old had that body, what would you tell her? That she was frighteningly thin and unattractive? Do the messages of natural beauty and self-acceptance only extend to chunkier girls? That girl was 12 once.

I've seen a lot of photos posted of men, on this forum and on Relationships and Exercise/Fitness. Lots and lots of photos of people's ideal man--most of the posters being women, by the way. I've posted some myself. Occasionally a man or two will grumble about height ideals, but most of the negative comments are from women. "He's too muscular--I hate meatheads." "Ew, I don't like that much hair on a man's chest and legs." "Yuck, he's too groomed and pretty." Well, men do say the last one, but if you compare the complaints about other people's ideals, the majority come from women. If I posted 10 pictures of underwear models with washboard abs and airbrushed faces, I doubt I'd hear a single comment from a man that he felt he was being held to an unrealistic expectation ... or that he felt sad that his son would never measure up to society's impossible expectations.

I find that interesting, that's all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2010, 10:50 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,696,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
Frankly, I would hate for my DD to think that there is such thing as an "ideal" body that she needs to live up to - very thin, curvy, whatever. I suppose I could have spend my days being depressed over my short legs - anyone who has ever seen any model realizes that regardless of the rest of my body, my short legs would be a deal killer in the seek for "perfection"...it's all silly.
Maybe it is silly, but unfortunately we live in a world where anorexia kills young women and where obesity sets them up for health problems later in life. I think it does matter who the media crowns as a top model, because young people often emulate who they see.

I'm not going to lose any sleep over it--but I do think Ann Ward is scary skinny.

Old 12-06-2010, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
If your 12-year-old had that body, what would you tell her? That she was frighteningly thin and unattractive? Do the messages of natural beauty and self-acceptance only extend to chunkier girls? That girl was 12 once.

I've seen a lot of photos posted of men, on this forum and on Relationships and Exercise/Fitness. Lots and lots of photos of people's ideal man--most of the posters being women, by the way. I've posted some myself. Occasionally a man or two will grumble about height ideals, but most of the negative comments are from women. "He's too muscular--I hate meatheads." "Ew, I don't like that much hair on a man's chest and legs." "Yuck, he's too groomed and pretty." Well, men do say the last one, but if you compare the complaints about other people's ideals, the majority come from women. If I posted 10 pictures of underwear models with washboard abs and airbrushed faces, I doubt I'd hear a single comment from a man that he felt he was being held to an unrealistic expectation ... or that he felt sad that his son would never measure up to society's impossible expectations.

I find that interesting, that's all.
If my 12-year-old had that body and I was sure she was eating nutritious meals and not limiting calories, I wouldn't tell her anything. If I thought she was limiting herself to a low number of calories in an effort to look that thin, I'd seek treatment for anorexia for her.

I agree about the men and boys thing and don't know what makes the difference. I think I read somewhere that women look in a mirror and see themselves more negatively than others see them, and men look in a mirror and see themselves more positively than others see them.

Old 12-06-2010, 11:06 AM

8,323 posts, read 15,163,747 times
Is there really a need for all the nasty comments calling her "skeletal" and "disgusting"? Whoop-dee-doo, she's got a thin frame for a tall body. Her body is perfect for couture modeling and she photographs like woah. Why all the hate?

Old 12-06-2010, 11:17 AM

1,233 posts, read 2,824,448 times
Quote:
Maybe it is silly, but unfortunately we live in a world where anorexia kills young women and where obesity sets them up for health problems later in life. I think it does matter who the media crowns as a top model, because young people often emulate who they see.

I'm not going to lose any sleep over it--but I do think Ann Ward is scary skinny.
So, what, only women with the "average" body should be crowned Top Model so young girls won't have mixed signals?

Old 12-06-2010, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emi__ View Post
So, what, only women with the "average" body should be crowned Top Model so young girls won't have mixed signals?
Very few models have average bodies. They tend to be taller and thinner than average and are built closer to Barbie Doll proportions than most women. I get that.

I just think that Ann Ward is too thin to have been named ANTM. I think her thinness distracts from her beauty. And, to the extent she's a role model for young girls, I don't think it's a healthy body shape for a girl to aspire to.

Old 12-06-2010, 02:58 PM

10,229 posts, read 16,292,638 times
Quote:
Ann Ward was picked as America's Next Top Model. What do you think?

Sexy Photos Of 'America's Next Top Model' Cycle 15 Winner Ann Ward - Starpulse.com

She has a beautiful face, but I think she's waaaay, waaaay too thin.

So do I. But I don't care for her face, either, really.

Old 12-06-2010, 04:14 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,520,923 times
What is it that people just aren't getting about models and the current needs of the fashion industry? The designers want very thin models to showcase their collections.

Ann has a very photogenic face. Her body type is much more haute couture then Maxim magazine. Most models (high fashion) are not the pretty girl on the street with big boobies and a JLO behind.

Tyra Banks has also stated that she had to leave the high fashion modeling world when her body changed from a thinner body type and became curvier thus the move to modeling for Victoria's Secret. VS models (for the most part) are also considered too curvy for the haute couture runways.

Old 12-07-2010, 11:15 AM

1,233 posts, read 2,824,448 times
Quote:
Very few models have average bodies. They tend to be taller and thinner than average and are built closer to Barbie Doll proportions than most women. I get that.

I just think that Ann Ward is too thin to have been named ANTM. I think her thinness distracts from her beauty. And, to the extent she's a role model for young girls, I don't think it's a healthy body shape for a girl to aspire to.
No matter what, someone is going to think that her body isn't healthy looking. If she's tall and thin, then she's an inspiration to those gangly 13 year old girls who think that they're shaped like giraffes. If she's shorter and is plus sized, then she's an inspiration to the girls who get called fat. You can't please everyone. There's still beauty in those naturally extreme body types, but that doesn't mean that they have to be the role model for every single young woman out there.

Old 12-08-2010, 03:20 AM

36 posts, read 52,533 times
Well if she's a model that fits couture, then I think couture is unattractive. I would much rather see clothes on a goodlooking un-praying mantis lookalike than her.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty