Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2010, 11:32 AM

3,562 posts, read 4,392,179 times

Advertisements

Do women currently prefer men without facial hair? I ask this because I recall a time in which moustaches and properly kept beards were in vogue. I could be wrong, but it seems to me as of late that most women find facial hair unappealing.

I wear a well trimmed moustache. My GF didn't have a probelm with it when we first met, but now wants me to shave it off! I've had my moustache since I was in high school. Hate the thought of parting with it. But between it and my GF. . .the stache will definitely have to go.

Would appreciate female input on this one. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2010, 11:35 AM

5,143 posts, read 5,403,002 times
I don't want to sound like a jerk, but I don't care what women think. It's my face and I'll do with it what I want.

I change it around, but generally I go with:

Mid ear sideburns
Short moutee
and 5 o'clock shadow (I don't like shaving all the way....usually run a beard trimmer over my face)

Old 08-31-2010, 05:52 PM

18,462 posts, read 31,613,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSizzle225 View Post
I don't want to sound like a jerk, but I don't care what women think. It's my face and I'll do with it what I want.

I change it around, but generally I go with:

Mid ear sideburns
Short moutee
and 5 o'clock shadow (I don't like shaving all the way....usually run a beard trimmer over my face)

agreed, me too......lucky thing with hair, it can be changed very often as to not have one look all the time. But do it for yourself, no one else.

Old 12-11-2010, 06:27 PM

3,071 posts, read 3,222,300 times
I shave my facial hair b/c I'd rather be clean cut. If women don't like it, then it's not my problem. My face, my hair, I'll do what I want w/ it.

Old 12-11-2010, 06:47 PM

4,666 posts, read 5,088,289 times
I am growing a full beard, and I don't care about what anybody else thinks. You shouldn't care what other people think either. If somebody won't accept you for who you are or how you represent yourself, they can go to hell.

Old 12-11-2010, 07:25 PM

3,485 posts, read 7,307,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chacho_keva View Post
Do women currently prefer men without facial hair? I ask this because I recall a time in which moustaches and properly kept beards were in vogue. I could be wrong, but it seems to me as of late that most women find facial hair unappealing.

I wear a well trimmed moustache. My GF didn't have a probelm with it when we first met, but now wants me to shave it off! I've had my moustache since I was in high school. Hate the thought of parting with it. But between it and my GF. . .the stache will definitely have to go.

I'm not sure about most women. I've noticed that younger men look like unkempt hipsters (and somewhat homosexual, not that there is anything wrong with it) when they have facial hair. I think it is because the smooth skin of younger men looks very homosexual when paired with scruffy face hair.

And older men with some marionette lines and sagging chin look way better when they start growing their beard/moustache out, because it hides the aging lines like magic. It takes a decade off their face.

In summary I think facial hair looks better on older men, worse on younger men. However I don't really care what people do... if they like their facial hair my observations should not matter to them.

Old 12-11-2010, 10:29 PM

427 posts, read 549,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dude1984 View Post
I am growing a full beard, and I don't care about what anybody else thinks. You shouldn't care what other people think either. If somebody won't accept you for who you are or how you represent yourself, they can go to hell.
Umm....can't all of us with our faces just get along??
Attached Images

Old 12-12-2010, 04:37 AM

6,981 posts, read 10,942,355 times
Quote:

It just seems to be a fashion issue. Mustaches alone seem to be strongly out of fashion, while more extensive facial hair seems to be more in fashion. I imagine that's why your GF didn't have a problem with the 'stache before but now she wants it gone. Or maybe her friends are saying stuff to her about it. Also, it could be that earlier in the relationship, she didn't feel comfortable making a request like that.

It's really your decision.

Old 12-12-2010, 02:21 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,671,929 times
Quote:

Whoa! As long as you keep your facial hair neat and trimmed then GF is trying to control you and your choices. It starts small but once you loose this small battle the control issue will get worse & worse unless there is a medical reason for her request. Tell her politely that you like you as you are and suggest that she has no valid reason for her request so deal with it.

As a rule of the species people respect a person who is reasonable and won't be pushed around even for small matter. She has to know that you care for her enough to tell her NO!

Now ladies don't get all upset. It's a natural part of the courtship ritual to vie for control in the relationship.

Old 12-12-2010, 03:04 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,637,581 times
I'm rarely worried about others' opinions of my facial hair. I usually have stubble, shave every few days or so on my own.

I have grown in beards, but I get an annoying flaking going on after a while. So I don't keep them long.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty