Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-03-2010, 10:14 AM

248 posts, read 442,544 times

Advertisements

I have a spa session coming up for a massage.
This will be my first.

What to expect ?
Any pointers?
Asking since I am not too comfortable not wearing a lot of clothing in front of strangers !
I mean , is there a robe, how much is exposed, what body parts are massaged .etc
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2010, 04:31 PM

12,054 posts, read 23,338,402 times
When you are taken into the massage room, you will have privacy to disrobe. The therapist will knock on the door and ask if you are ready. You will probably be told to be face up and there will be sheets and/or blankets for you to cover up. My therapist has heated blankets. Music will be playing and there are different oils that will be used. The massage therapist will probably start with your forehead, then neck and shoulders, arms, hands, legs, and feet. When you turn over, the therapist will hold the sheet up to give you privacy to turn. Then they will massage your back and neck, arms, legs, and feet. I have found the massages in SXM are a little more intrusive than you will find here. Most therapists ask if there are certain body parts, like lower back or neck, that need special attention. Hot stones are also a nice addition. When the massage is over, the therapist will leave and tell you to take your time getting up. You will have privacy to get dressed. Just relax and enjoy.

Old 12-04-2010, 10:24 AM

4,160 posts, read 5,618,277 times
Massages are the greatest! Every massage therapist I've ever had was professional and just like SXMgirl posted-relax and trust me the therapist has seen it a million times-if you don't relax and worry about it you won't like it.

Old 12-04-2010, 10:45 AM

6,987 posts, read 21,920,292 times
Massage?...Oh yes. For me in Japan the girl walking on my back did wonders and got the blood flowing. Do I need to go into more detail?...on second thought better not.

Old 12-04-2010, 11:59 AM

548 posts, read 2,097,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raidgirl View Post
This will be my first.

What to expect ?
Any pointers?
Asking since I am not too comfortable not wearing a lot of clothing in front of strangers !
I mean , is there a robe, how much is exposed, what body parts are massaged .etc
My spouse is a massage practitioner, and I've had massages from numerous professionals, but I'm answering as a consumer.

IMO, for a Swedish style full body massage, you should remove all your clothing if you can be comfortable doing that. Some women feel more modest and keep their underpants on, especially at that time of month, but you get a better massage at the lower back, butt and upper thigh without. Body workers see a lot of naked people; they won't judge you except to make helpful comments, such as observations about your posture and where your body is holding stress. You would probably be fully covered by a sheet except for the part of the body he/she's working on at the time. That's as much about keeping you warm as modesty. Massage involves friction and body heat.

Reputable practitioners don't touch your most private areas. It sometimes happens that their hand accidentally brushes close but you would use your adult judgement about that in context. Usually, they don't massage women's breasts, just along the sides like at your ribcage, or nipples, unless you ask for that. Breast massage is a specialty. They also don't do much to armpits, where there's lymph nodes, and the backs of my knees. It's so relaxing you might fall asleep; that's okay, your body worker will keep going and make sure you don't fall off the table and get hurt.

Each practitioner works a little differently. You might think about where your muscles are knotted up and how your body holds stress and talk with her about it before hand, tell him/her whether you might prefer a firmer deep muscle massage or a lighter sensual touch, your concerns about undressing, and open up communication to make it more of a partnership with your body worker. I prefer oil to lotion so I wear clothes I won't mind getting oil on after I dress.

Last edited by teachertype; 12-04-2010 at 12:11 PM..

Old 12-04-2010, 07:39 PM

9,444 posts, read 17,377,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raidgirl View Post
This will be my first.

What to expect ?
Any pointers?
For someone who gets full-body massages once a month religiously, here are my pointers. First, since your username says "Raidgirl", I will assume you are a female.

I personally only get massages from women. I have had an interesting experience with a male massage therapist that I don't want to repeat. With another female, I don't get aroused, I can feel relaxed and more comfortable.

If you really want the full experience of massage, just leave your underwear on. You would not enjoy it fully if you have a bra on, the hands of a masseuse will not glide up and down your back like knife against butter. It will be on the way.

Be upfront about what areas are bothersome, like I am tense in my upper back, so the therapist knows what to concentrate on. Comment on the firmness. If it's too painful and if she is digging too deep in for your comfort, speak up, tell her.

Usually she will start working on your back, then will move to your arms, legs, tights and feet. Professionals will not touch your private parts.

Old 12-04-2010, 08:22 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,955,711 times
No you don't want to go, send me instead

Old 12-06-2010, 06:51 AM

248 posts, read 442,544 times
thnak you all for your responses.
very helpful...

I had a great first time at the spa ...
She was very professional ....I disrobed upto my lower undergarment and felt comfortable at all times ..

Will do this again soon !

Thanks

Old 12-06-2010, 08:40 AM

6,987 posts, read 21,920,292 times
Hold on Mac...I was first in line.

Will say that a good Japanese MASSAGE will do wonders. (in Japan of course)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty