U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-13-2010, 02:27 PM
 
Location: New England
914 posts, read 1,539,253 times
Reputation: 925

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TumbleBug View Post
My husband and I are wanting to get matching custom tattoo's.

I've never had a tattoo before but I've seen shows like LA ink etc so I understand that the artist will be able to draw up artwork at our request.

I'm quite concerned about not being happy with the picture they draw though - what's the protocol? Does anyone know?

If I ask them to draw something and I don't like it is it ok to just say no walk away and keep looking? - I don't want to jerk people around but it's really important to have a nice piece and I don't want to feel pressured into accepting a design that I don't like.

Can anyone help with advice?
Tattoo artist realize how important your tattoo is, I have a few friends that have actually denied service becuase they thought the idea of having a scull behing an 18 year old kids neck was a horrible idea and they'd regret it. It's not rude to go in a shop and walking away when you're not happy either- its your vision and its your body. Keep looking and don't feel pressured. I have an 8 by 2 inch tattoo on my ribs and the first time was horrendous. After it healed, I went to another tattoo place to get it retouched and he's been my tattoo guy ever since.

Bottom line, getting a tattoo is just as important as a pet, house or car, you need to shop around.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-13-2010, 02:43 PM
 
Location: Up in the air
19,126 posts, read 25,840,061 times
Reputation: 16226
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuteishungry View Post
Tattoo artist realize how important your tattoo is, I have a few friends that have actually denied service becuase they thought the idea of having a scull behing an 18 year old kids neck was a horrible idea and they'd regret it. It's not rude to go in a shop and walking away when you're not happy either- its your vision and its your body. Keep looking and don't feel pressured. I have an 8 by 2 inch tattoo on my ribs and the first time was horrendous. After it healed, I went to another tattoo place to get it retouched and he's been my tattoo guy ever since.

Bottom line, getting a tattoo is just as important as a pet, house or car, you need to shop around.
The bolded is quite important. My old artist refused to tattoo below the elbow or above the collarbone unless he knew you were completely committed to having tattoo work. He grilled me for quite some time before letting me get my forearm tattooed
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-13-2010, 04:26 PM
 
Location: Planet Eaarth
8,957 posts, read 17,044,991 times
Reputation: 7193
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tightwad View Post
Please don't be offended but from the tempo and wording of your post your maturity level isn't up to getting a lifetime tattoo. You're to timid and unsure of the whole tattoo on my body issue to even consider one at this point in time. Do yourself a favor wait untl there is no question whatsoever in your mind that you either do ,or don't, want a permanent marking on your body.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuteishungry View Post
Tattoo artist realize how important your tattoo is, I have a few friends that have actually denied service becuase they thought the idea of having a scull behing an 18 year old kids neck was a horrible idea and they'd regret it. It's not rude to go in a shop and walking away when you're not happy either- its your vision and its your body. Keep looking and don't feel pressured. I have an 8 by 2 inch tattoo on my ribs and the first time was horrendous. After it healed, I went to another tattoo place to get it retouched and he's been my tattoo guy ever since.

Bottom line, getting a tattoo is just as important as a pet, house or car, you need to shop around.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
The bolded is quite important. My old artist refused to tattoo below the elbow or above the collarbone unless he knew you were completely committed to having tattoo work. He grilled me for quite some time before letting me get my forearm tattooed
I think we all agree that getting a tattoo is NOT something to do on a lark. It is a SERIOUS life choice that takes maturity to decide. I'm glad that some tattoo artist are honorable enough to save some dumb kid from himself by getting a tattoo they will regret. IMO tattoo's should be limited to people 25 year or older to keep it sane.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-13-2010, 11:09 PM
 
519 posts, read 893,111 times
Reputation: 703
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tightwad View Post
Please don't be offended but from the tempo and wording of your post your maturity level isn't up to getting a lifetime tattoo. You're to timid and unsure of the whole tattoo on my body issue to even consider one at this point in time. Do yourself a favor wait untl there is no question whatsoever in your mind that you either do ,or don't, want a permanent marking on your body.
Wow such insight from such a short post!

And, yes I am offended that you doubt my maturity, especially for such flimsy reasons. How rude.

Thank you Foxy for your detailed post, I appreciate it. It is great advice I realized LA ink couldn't be 100% realistic, but it's hard to know which are the real parts and which are the fake.

At their shop the customer is always thrilled first time - every time, they never show the true process - which for me - I'm afraid - may be arduous.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-14-2010, 02:51 AM
 
Location: Retirementland
1,234 posts, read 2,400,751 times
Reputation: 829
Quote:
Originally Posted by TumbleBug View Post
Wow such insight from such a short post!

And, yes I am offended that you doubt my maturity, especially for such flimsy reasons. How rude.

Thank you Foxy for your detailed post, I appreciate it. It is great advice I realized LA ink couldn't be 100% realistic, but it's hard to know which are the real parts and which are the fake.

At their shop the customer is always thrilled first time - every time, they never show the true process - which for me - I'm afraid - may be arduous.
From my experience - which isn't a whole lot, but it is a few hours worth - LA Ink is pretty much all fake.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-14-2010, 08:40 AM
 
Location: North Western NJ
6,591 posts, read 19,839,296 times
Reputation: 9532
some other tips and hits for your first tattoo...
LISTEN to your artist, if they tell you getting a tattoo on your foot is going to hurt, its because for the majority of people...its going to hurt!
if they tell you the idea you have in mind wont look good any bigger or smaller, listen to them, somethings just need to be a certain size to show the detail (this is a common broplem in tattoos with lettering, people get things too small and within a couple years it kind of fades/blurrs into a mass of grey blob...

and remember, ALL tattoos HURT, how much is going to depend on your pain threshold...
to some the pain may barley register, to others its excrutiating. location of ink will also dictate pain too. foot, rib cage, anywhere ticklish are pretty painfull.

after care is incredibly important! make sure your tatto artist has a written sheet for your aftercare (its easy to forget after your tat with all the endorphins that kick in) if you dont look after it properly you wont be happy with the results.

also NEVER get a tattoo when high, or drunk (any self respecting tattoo artist will refuse to tattoo you if they even think your high or drunk) and do NOT take painkillers before or after...they thin the blood and can ruin your tattoo.
always have something light to eat before your apt (a tat on an empty tummy is a bad idea) and bring along a snack and a drink, these help if you start to get that light headed feeling. passing out IS a very real possibility!

if that doesnt all scare you off youll be fine
im up to 5 so far and be well warned for many the process becomes addictive!

i think the key to a good tattoo lays in a number of things:
1: your design, while flash (the images on the walls) work for some, i personally feel that something a little more unique, tailored to YOU personally is going to be better apreciated in the long run. your less likely to regret your ink if its well thought through and has significant meaning.
2: your artist, a GOOD and trusted artist is 100% important
3: Location location location, where you get your tattoo will effect how it looks, how others look at you ect. theres some places that simply wont work for a certain tattoo due to size, shape, lumps and bumps.
4: YOUR attitude towards the ink. it should again be something special...why? because people are GOING to judge you (yes even for tha 1" rose on your hip...) is it right? heck no, BUT they will...if your not prepared for this, your going to hate your ink after a while simply because of the assumptions other people may have of you simply for having ink.

good luck!
i dont know where your located but do a serch for tattoo conventions in your area, they are great places to meet local (and other) artists and make some good connections as well as get a feel for how things work, the sound of the machines ect.
i wouldnt get a tat at a con, just because i like to see the artists shop set up (its cleanlyness says alot about the artist) but its a great place to get a feel, and see some stunning artwork.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-14-2010, 08:59 AM
 
Location: Illinois
8,536 posts, read 6,213,909 times
Reputation: 14832
and "matching" tats? I'm not a fan of that. what if there's a break-up? Believe me, I'm hoping you have a long & happy marriage, but stranger things have happened also.

I'm close to retirement, and have tats. I love mine, and they have meaning!! Having a tat sets you apart from the rest of humanity!! Sort of a freedom!!

Good luck on finding just the right tat artist!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-14-2010, 09:39 AM
 
49,069 posts, read 39,505,157 times
Reputation: 30682
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryson662001 View Post
When I see people with tattos I just feel like they have really poor judgement to have mutilated themselves that way. They just lose all credability with me. I would be inclined to not hire them or not use their services (unless I wanted my motorcycle repaired) It's the kind of mistake an immature kid would make and then regret it if and when they grow up.
<shrug>

I have no tatoos personally but I have friends with them. In fact, the one with the most is a VERY good lawyer and his are related to significant life events etc. and not just your cheap-o-drunk at 1AM type.

With that said, you probably know people already that have tatoos that you don't know about.

Limiting your hiring decisions to something like tatoos is a 2-way street.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-14-2010, 09:58 AM
 
6,039 posts, read 9,226,347 times
Reputation: 3933
Quote:
Originally Posted by TumbleBug View Post
My husband and I are wanting to get matching custom tattoo's.
Tattoo's what?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-14-2010, 09:59 AM
 
Location: North Western NJ
6,591 posts, read 19,839,296 times
Reputation: 9532
Quote:
Limiting your hiring decisions to something like tatoos is a 2-way street.
and illegal...:P
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top