U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2010, 07:25 AM

519 posts, read 891,393 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are wanting to get matching custom tattoo's.

I've never had a tattoo before but I've seen shows like LA ink etc so I understand that the artist will be able to draw up artwork at our request.

I'm quite concerned about not being happy with the picture they draw though - what's the protocol? Does anyone know?

If I ask them to draw something and I don't like it is it ok to just say no walk away and keep looking? - I don't want to jerk people around but it's really important to have a nice piece and I don't want to feel pressured into accepting a design that I don't like.

Can anyone help with advice?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2010, 09:59 AM

8,957 posts, read 17,000,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TumbleBug View Post
My husband and I are wanting to get matching custom tattoo's.

I've never had a tattoo before but I've seen shows like LA ink etc so I understand that the artist will be able to draw up artwork at our request.

I'm quite concerned about not being happy with the picture they draw though - what's the protocol? Does anyone know?

If I ask them to draw something and I don't like it is it ok to just say no walk away and keep looking? - I don't want to jerk people around but it's really important to have a nice piece and I don't want to feel pressured into accepting a design that I don't like.

Can anyone help with advice?
Please don't be offended but from the tempo and wording of your post your maturity level isn't up to getting a lifetime tattoo. You're to timid and unsure of the whole tattoo on my body issue to even consider one at this point in time. Do yourself a favor wait untl there is no question whatsoever in your mind that you either do ,or don't, want a permanent marking on your body.

Old 12-12-2010, 10:39 AM

6,591 posts, read 19,771,355 times
the USUAL procedure is you interveiw artists in your area first, look at their shop, is it clean, ask them what their cleaning procedures are, needles should be single use, they should also have an autoclave, assuming the place is clean and you feel comfortable with the artist look at their portfolios, if youve got a general idea of your design in mind look for tats in their books that resemble the syle youd like, for example, going to an artist whos portfolio is filled with cartoonish styl;e work for a very realistic design isnt nessicarily a good choice.

assuming you LOVE their portfolio style and are COMFORTABLE with the artist you would discuss the peice, youd describe it, bring little sketches, print outs, anythign that would help the artist visualize the style youd like (to one artist a daisy may look one way and to another a completly different way...)

you would then put down a deposit, this deposit (usually about 10% of the estimated total of the tattoo is the artists security. they will take this deposit off your total tattoo price when you get the tat, but otherwise its none refundable, this protects the artist whos now going to put potentially a few HOURS into figureing out your design.

most shops that ive been to dont work like LA ink, youll have to make an apt lol and they dont just make up your design an hour before your apt lol.

when you come back youll typiclaly find the artist has multiple designs worked out for you, my normal artist averages 7 different draw-ups, some only subtly different others drastically so...
you can then pick your favorite OR (and this is why i always arrive at least 1/2 hour before my apt) you may decide you like different aspects of each of the designs at which point most artists are happy to re-peice everything together.

a GOOD tattoo artist will NOT tattoo any design its wearer isnt 100% sure of...

you do of course have the option to walk away even then...BUT you will sacrifice your deposit, which is only fair given the artist should have putten considerable time into your intial drawups.
every artist ive worked with or otherwise known are mild perfectionsits, they will readjust designs even after the template is on the skin if the wearer isnt happy with it ect.

NO artist should make you feel pressured into getting a peice your not happy with because afterall once youve got ink you ARE a walking advertisment for that artist..if you dont like your peice 100% your not going to send your frineds or admirers your artists way nor will you return and many artists rely on repeat customers and word of mouth!

as an example, i was talking to one of my 2 artists (i have 2 different artists i frequent as they both have different styles so it depends on the "feel" of the peice i want.
anywho, i was talking to him about a small peice i want on my wrist, a silohuette of a chinese crested dog, and he tells me let him know when...its on the house...i was shocked, i know how much my artist charges hourly...so i asked him if he was sure...he told me in the past 6 months hed had over 200 people come in for work, all refered to him by me!

these are not just frineds, (though i did send a couple friends his way) but most were people i met at conventions, and out on the street who stopped me to tell me how much they loved any one of my peices...

a happy customer is the most valuable advertising agent in the world!

Old 12-12-2010, 08:40 PM

1,234 posts, read 2,395,903 times
LA Ink is a really bad example of both the process of designing/getting a tattoo, and the general atmosphere of a shop, but Foxy hit the nail right on the head.

Keep in mind that a good tattoo isn't cheap, and a cheap tattoo isn't good.

Old 12-13-2010, 12:21 AM

13,295 posts, read 12,343,222 times
What foxy said

Old 12-13-2010, 12:36 PM

3,391 posts, read 7,318,332 times
When I see people with tattos I just feel like they have really poor judgement to have mutilated themselves that way. They just lose all credability with me. I would be inclined to not hire them or not use their services (unless I wanted my motorcycle repaired) It's the kind of mistake an immature kid would make and then regret it if and when they grow up.

Old 12-13-2010, 12:52 PM

1,234 posts, read 2,395,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryson662001 View Post
When I see people with tattos I just feel like they have really poor judgement to have mutilated themselves that way. They just lose all credability with me. I would be inclined to not hire them or not use their services (unless I wanted my motorcycle repaired) It's the kind of mistake an immature kid would make and then regret it if and when they grow up.
That's nice, but I don't recall anyone asking if you were hiring.

Old 12-13-2010, 01:05 PM

19,126 posts, read 25,789,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryson662001 View Post
For some, getting a tattoo is absolutely a mistake and definitely a regret. Fortunately, many people who actively receive tattoos actually want them and put a great deal of thought and money into the process and enjoy them for the rest of their life. It's understandable that you wouldn't like them, but do you actually know any heavily tattooed people?

I myself have an engineering degree and work with very high profile clientele and the responses I've received from my tattoo work has been overwhelmingly positive. In fact, we just hired another heavily tattooed person in our accounting office... and she's simply wonderful.

Old 12-13-2010, 01:20 PM

3,391 posts, read 7,318,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emi__ View Post
That's nice, but I don't recall anyone asking if you were hiring.
Thank you......btw, don't call us, we'll call you LOL

Old 12-13-2010, 01:26 PM

5,258 posts, read 7,788,820 times
Foxy is absolutely correct. Unless you go in and select a tattoo already on display (which I did). Depending on whether the artist has appointments or not, they may be able to see you right away (which is what I did). But for a custom design, Foxy laid it out very well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty