Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2010, 04:44 PM

1,949 posts, read 3,863,526 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
Newsmen still just wear suits and short hair.
But is that really a good thing? Try wearing a coat and tie every day for years and years, regardless of the weather, and it gets pretty old. I think its good that women have such freedom of what to wear in the workplace (and I do agree that some just don't know where to draw the line) but wish we had similar freedom...even just dropping the tie and jacket and going for short sleeves in the burning heat would be a step in the right direction.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2010, 05:36 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,961,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
Well, that would explain it.......they're young, and have no taste.
Enough fashion faux pas, they'll figure it out.
When I think of some of the things I wore back in the 70s, (not trashy, just ghastly) I cringe, and hope I burned all those negatives.

Not the hot pants I hope! LOL

(I got bord in poly tics and auto's )

Old 12-17-2010, 05:48 PM

23,416 posts, read 36,993,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
Not the hot pants I hope! LOL

(I got bord in poly tics and auto's )
ROTFLMAO!!!!!!!!!
How are you, my friend?

Old 12-17-2010, 06:09 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,961,276 times
Me: I am well, lots stronger than I was when ill in early fall. Playin Bull of the Woods these days working outside in the teens of weather, doing bull working. I spent 5 hours today working on a 1 ton plus belt sander over haul, and hunk of the Bismark, in the barn with both end doors wide open.

In the Am I will be found out in the wood pile cutting for next year. I have a cord and 1/2 done now, but 16 cord to go The more I do of that the hotter i get. I mean physically warm to the touch, and trim for my old geezerly age. Thank God for Peter Pan Syndrome eh?

I am still fretting over 'that dress'.

Old 12-17-2010, 11:06 PM

1,233 posts, read 2,825,309 times
Women wear skinny jeans to show off their backsides?

Crap, I guess I've been wearing them for the wrong reasons. I just like how they visually lengthen my body...

Old 12-18-2010, 12:23 AM

1,054 posts, read 3,859,945 times
I always chalked it up to men are allowed to wear anything comfortable whether its sloppy or not whereas women are expected to always be showing off their body parts. To me that states that despite the progress some think women have attained in modern society it still comes down to one thing -the only value a woman has in this world is for sex. Meanwhile the guys are nice and comfy and getting to see plenty of T & A.

Old 12-18-2010, 01:54 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,047,835 times
This is the main point of my thread, which people just don't seem to get. Fashion is never just fashion; there's always a deeper socio-cultural dimension behind it. I just find it bleedingly obvious why the fashions differ so much by gender. In the 1890s women's fashion was frilly because they were 'elegant and pretty', now 'sexy' is the most common adjective for/goal of fashion and it shows in how much more flesh women show off than men. This in itself is not what I have a problem with, what irks me is it's so lopsided that it seems only women but not men are seen in a sexual way.

Old 12-18-2010, 02:32 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,047,835 times
This is the main point of my thread, which people just don't seem to get. Fashion is never just fashion; there's always a deeper socio-cultural dimension behind it. I just find it bleedingly obvious why the fashions differ so much by gender. In the 1890s women's fashion was frilly because they were 'elegant and pretty', now 'sexy' is the most common adjective for/goal of fashion and it shows in how much more flesh women show off than men. This in itself is not what I have a problem with, what irks me is it's so lopsided that it seems only women but not men are seen in a sexual way.

Old 12-18-2010, 09:49 AM

784 posts, read 1,981,366 times
What I find interesting is that styles that 20-25 years ago were unisex or worn frequently by men have returned today as female-only styles. Examples are shorts over sweatpants and rolled-up sweatpants. They even make sweatpants for women that stop at the knee.

About female fashion relating to females in a sexual manner, if I read the earlier post right, it has to do with Western society's hypersexualization of women. It is unfortunate, but no doubt has a severe impact on fashion. With men, Hip Hop Fashion went big by the early 1990s and became the mainstream fashion with its focus on big and baggy. 2 other fashions at the time, Skater and Grunge also preferred roomier attire. It did not take long before men wearing shorter and tighter clothes became seen as odd and gay. No offense, but once a style is referred to in that manner, it tends to be shunned by most.

As for the difference between what men and women wear, I agree that people of both genders should wear what they want as long as basic modesty is preserved. That means wear is as short and tight as you want as long as no butt cheeks or private parts are exposed or so form fitting that they are outlined. That also means wear it as long and baggy as you want. Unfortunately, there will always be someone who has something to say no matter what you do.

As for the OP's original question, no, I do not find it annoying the differences between what females and males wear. What I find annoying is the attitudes some people have of what others are wearing. I also respect that they have the right to feel that way as long as they don't openly harass others. It seems that men's fashion is now slimming down as Hipster Fashion is gaining in popularity, so maybe the differences won't be as much. Again, wear what you want, but please, be mindful of modesty.

Old 12-18-2010, 03:21 PM

3,295 posts, read 7,015,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kemba View Post
What I find interesting is that styles that 20-25 years ago were unisex or worn frequently by men have returned today as female-only styles. Examples are shorts over sweatpants and rolled-up sweatpants. They even make sweatpants for women that stop at the knee.
I think I've heard that there's some cultural phenomenon where it's easier for masculine things to be taken up by women, and then lose their male connotations than vice versa.

Don't know how true it is, but I've read in a book somewhere that it's a similar case for names too -- that unisex names that turn feminine become harder for men to "take back", but ones that turn masculine can be more easily taken up by women.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty