Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2010, 05:22 PM

727 posts, read 539,880 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc63 View Post

Moderator cut: image removed

I just keep that kinda giant (womens) pants So nice to wear

Last edited by picmod; 01-10-2014 at 09:30 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2010, 11:23 AM

1,031 posts, read 2,446,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
But men can FIND normal comfortable clothes that look nice and stylish easily. Women cannot so much- it is either spandex tight or shapeless and boring. I was so easily able to get my Christmas clothes shopping for guys done. They got nice soft shirts and sweaters. They will fit well, look good and be comfortable. I can't even find one shirt for myself that isn't either sheer, tight, long, elasticised, low cut, embellished or just weird. That is in Misses, not even juniors. Go to Ladies and it's nursing home wear.

Sorry I don't want to look like Snooki or a Real Housewife. I just wish women's fashion would ease up and loosen up a bit. Casual wear is certainly out there but boy, is it casual - no I don't want to have to wear pajamas or sweats to be comfortable.
There are plenty of chain stores that have properly fitting attire that is neither matronly or made for "ladies of the night." All of my appropriate work wear comes from Banana Republic, J. Crew, Ann Taylor, and White House Black Market. J. Jill and L.L. Bean occasionally offer tailored clothing as well. Department stores should be avoided for regular everyday wear unless you can afford Neiman Marcus, Saks, or Barney's.

Old 12-23-2010, 08:08 AM

1,054 posts, read 1,412,365 times
If you like variety in clothing and wearing stuff that shows the body and respects the seasons of the year, be a woman. If you'd rather wear a body-hiding uniform that's the same all year round, being male is a better bet.

Old 12-23-2010, 06:42 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,013,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amontillado View Post
If you like variety in clothing and wearing stuff that shows the body and respects the seasons of the year, be a woman. If you'd rather wear a body-hiding uniform that's the same all year round, being male is a better bet.
Exactly, male beauty is still undervalued imho. Look at a magazine rack and it's like 90% females.

As far as I know no society has had such a female dominated image of beauty. Maybe it's to balance those times in history when males hogged all the attention.

Old 12-23-2010, 08:40 PM

784 posts, read 1,980,412 times
Consider this. A man who goes out in public dressed in such a way that others see as feminine or gay is taking the chance of being harassed, especially by younger males. In extreme cases, they may even be attacked. It's unfortunate as it is but still possible. In other cases, people may try to take his picture and put it on the Internet. I noticed the large amount of pictures of men in short shorts that are on the people of wal mart site, for example.

Old 12-23-2010, 08:48 PM

3,295 posts, read 7,011,795 times
Well, this too. Even worse in shall I say, more unenlightened societies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kemba View Post
Consider this. A woman who goes out in public dressed in such a way that others see as feminine or is taking the chance of being harassed, especially by younger males. In extreme cases, they may even be attacked. It's unfortunate as it is but still possible. In other cases, people may try to take her picture and put it on the Internet.
That said, the plus side is that females dressing in a way seen as masculine or "lesbian" isn't as stigmatized.

Old 12-24-2010, 07:59 AM

It seems that until about 1990 or so, males could get away with dressing differently without too much of a hassle, but when Hip Hop fashion went mainstream, it seemed that men had to wear longer and baggier clothing to prove their masculinity. During that time, women's fashion seems to have gone in the opposite direction. What I find interesting is that a lot of straight females are turned off by men showing too much skin in fashion. Also, this thread proves that people of both sexes realize the double standard that exists in both genders. Anyway, to see the perfect example of differences in what males and females wear, go to any beach. There you will see women wearing tiny bikinis and men wearing oversize shorts extending well below the knee.

Old 12-24-2010, 08:00 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,013,966 times
Quote:
Consider this. A man who goes out in public dressed in such a way that others see as feminine or gay is taking the chance of being harassed, especially by younger males. In extreme cases, they may even be attacked. It's unfortunate as it is but still possible. In other cases, people may try to take his picture and put it on the Internet. I noticed the large amount of pictures of men in short shorts that are on the people of wal mart site, for example.
Yeah that's ridiculous, why do they feel the need to attack people who aren't even threatening them?

Old 12-24-2010, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Yeah that's ridiculous, why do they feel the need to attack people who aren't even threatening them?
Because they are intolerant idiots. That's why.

Old 12-24-2010, 02:31 PM

3,111 posts, read 8,050,856 times
Quote:
It seems that until about 1990 or so, males could get away with dressing differently without too much of a hassle, but when Hip Hop fashion went mainstream, it seemed that men had to wear longer and baggier clothing to prove their masculinity. During that time, women's fashion seems to have gone in the opposite direction. What I find interesting is that a lot of straight females are turned off by men showing too much skin in fashion. Also, this thread proves that people of both sexes realize the double standard that exists in both genders. Anyway, to see the perfect example of differences in what males and females wear, go to any beach. There you will see women wearing tiny bikinis and men wearing oversize shorts extending well below the knee.
It is simple for men to stand out from the norm, by dressing nice. Even wearing a cheap suit for a night out can accomplish this. BTW, I am bringing back the speedo and chest hair for the beach!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty