U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2010, 10:45 AM

14,330 posts, read 19,076,863 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul789 View Post
im 511 and incredibly chubby ( i feel huge)
recently, a friend told me that im in super pretty but its the way i carry myself that is a turn offis confidence really that important? and how do you relay it?
Privately engage in some endeavor that gives you a great sense of pride and accomplishment at having mastered. The sense of accomplishment you feel will project in the form of increased confidence.

For instance, I take great pride in being able to play the violin as well as I do. Or I force myself to rise at 4:30am to work out, a time when nobody else is doing it. Gives me an edge. Or completing a Master's degree in a difficult subject matter. Increasing your education in difficult subject matter always generates confidence. Or noticing gains/improvement in physique because of the discipline you show in exercising generates increased confidence.

Sounds like you need to work on becoming less chubby. Apparently your excess weight is wrecking havoc on your confidence level. Commit yourself to an exercise regimen that involves you and you alone. That battle should be privately fought and won. Confidence should follow. Watch Olympic athletes to see this effect. Lawyers too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2010, 02:12 PM

32,538 posts, read 29,471,746 times
There used to be a commercial that said: If you look good you'll feel good. And if you feel good, you'll do good. I believe that.

A few random thoughts: Wear clothing you like and feel comfortable in. Find a friend who will tell you the truth and take them clothes shopping with you. Make sure you pick a friend who looks good themselves. Ask them how the clothes make you look. Ask for suggestions.

If you like what you are wearing and feel like you look pretty darn good you will carry yourself differently. Carry a purse you love. Wear shoes that fit and don't hurt your feet. Don't be a slave to fashion. Just because it's in style doesn't mean it looks good on YOU. Better to own a few really good quality, pieces of clothing and accessories then have a closet full of cheap junk.

Smile. A lot. Realise that the vast majority of people you see on the street are just as insecure as you are. Don't look at photos in magazines and wish you looked like that. Nobody looks like that. They have help. And wind machines.

Remember that pretty much everyone thinks that they are the dork in the room.

Old 01-07-2011, 12:57 PM

335 posts, read 816,354 times
I agree with those who mentioned sitting and standing erect, walking with head held high and eyes forward, make eye contact, and smile. If you don't look confident and happy, then people will think you are not worth knowing, unless it's someone who wants to take advantage of you.

None of us is perfect, but we all have qualities we are proud of. Focus on those and tell yourself you're a good person until you believe it.

As far as the weight, it's really up to you to get it off. It will take a long time, or save up for surgery. Life is harder for overweight people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or