U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-25-2010, 03:35 PM

368 posts, read 1,355,021 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
insurance covered the mole removal on my face. it was done by a dermatologist. the needle used to numb the area was very tiny and hardly hurt at all. less than a bee sting. the mole removal was very easy and I have no scar at all. I would think if he had a scar it would be slight and I think he would prefer it to the mole.
How long did it take for it to heal? Yes, he said the would take the scar over the mole...
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2010, 11:47 PM

35,817 posts, read 39,334,463 times
For what it's worth, there are insurance companies that will definitely fight you on mole removal on the face...if your doctor won't attest that there is a cancer concern, they will really push to label it as cosmetic surgery, which is seldom covered. Especially if scarring is enough of a concern that the procedure needs to be done by a plastic surgeon.

Old 12-26-2010, 02:57 AM

6,662 posts, read 25,329,136 times
I have Kaiser insurance. My doctor removed one off my temple and it only cost me my $10 co-charge for the visit. Tiny needle to numb the area. A tube shaped blade she pressed over the mole about 3/8" deep, she then pulled it out and cut it off to remove the root. This was done 15 years ago and it has not returned. The tissue looks a little different if I examine it but no one else can tell.

If the insurance does not want to cover it the doctor can present it as possible cancerous, that should get it covered. It then is sent out and examined to determine.

Old 12-26-2010, 10:09 PM

1,182 posts, read 1,302,312 times
My insurance covered all three b/c my dermatologist ordered biopsies. And they were all outpatient procedures done in the doctor's office.

Old 12-27-2010, 08:45 AM

368 posts, read 1,355,021 times
I would like to get an idea of how long it takes to heal. He may not want to go to school with a big dressing on his face, so I need to know when to schedule it for. Maybe we need to wait until spring break? Although we were planning a family vacation during spring break, not staying home...

Old 12-27-2010, 08:50 AM

35,817 posts, read 39,334,463 times
Doing this type of procedure over a school break is generally advised. He will also need to stay out of the sun while it heals, so I wouldn't take a beach vacation or anything.

Old 12-27-2010, 07:11 PM

1,182 posts, read 1,302,312 times
The one that was removed took about 2 weeks. I had stitches with that. The other two that were shaved down took about a week/week & a half. They were in odd spots. Of course by the end of healing I was only wearing a bandaid.

Old 12-30-2010, 10:46 AM

2,596 posts, read 4,637,991 times
My two cents, since it's on his face I might have it done by a plastic surgeon just to be on the safe side. I had a mole removed from my back by the dermatologist and it left a sizable scar. It doesn't really matter since it's on my back, but for the face, it might be worth the expense of having it done very carefully. My cousin had a mole taken off her cheek by a plastic surgeon (similar situation) and you can barely see the scar now. Your son won't want to wear makeup to cover anything, so I would guess it would be especially important to minimize scarring.

Old 01-02-2011, 08:36 AM

25,907 posts, read 34,966,446 times
I've had moles removed two ways. Larger moles are often numbed, then snipped off. Smaller, flatter moles can be burned off with liquid nitrogen or something, applied with a swab. It stings and hurts a bit, but the mole dies, dries out and flakes off. That takes about a week. I had two small, flesh-colored moles removed from my face years ago. I thought the one on my forehead looked like I had a zit, and that one is completely gone. I had another, smaller one on my cheek, near my mouth, that the doc took off while she was at it. That one has regrown a little, but it is still the same color as my skin. Some moles are persistent and will regrow. I doubt you'll have a problem with any major insurance carrier, as long as you go through your PCP if you have an HMO. You might need to be referred to a dermatologist, especially if he will need a stitch or two, but mine have all been removed (three separate occasions, different insurance) by my regular doctor.

Old 01-04-2011, 03:46 PM

3,487 posts, read 6,124,525 times
A dermatologist will take that off for you quickly.

I removed my own mole using just one hand with chloraseptic for a numbing agent, a needle to prop up the root of the mole (since I don't have forceps and the mole was on my other hand), and a straight scalpel. I was too lazy to go to the doctor's and I did not need the mole biopsied.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty