U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-06-2011, 01:07 PM

7,508 posts, read 3,593,891 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raging-Hetero View Post
Lol, Feminine perfection. I'll be the judge of that. That girl in the video is weak. Her abs are way too defined, and her a$$ is mediocre. She's a joke compared to Kim kardashian
Am I the only one who finds Kim Kardashian to be not that attractive? It's obvious that she is better looking than I am in every way, and I think she has a nice body but her butt is nasty. The girl in the video has a better butt than Kim does.

Old 01-06-2011, 01:29 PM

1,904 posts, read 2,483,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anberlin View Post
Am I the only one who finds Kim Kardashian to be not that attractive? It's obvious that she is better looking than I am in every way, and I think she has a nice body but her butt is nasty. The girl in the video has a better butt than Kim does.
I beg to differ.

Old 01-06-2011, 01:34 PM

3,803 posts, read 4,803,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smartalx View Post
Curvy doesn't mean plump. An 'S' has more curves than a 'B'. A 'B' has more creases. Plump women have FEWER curves and more CREASES than truly curvy women who are thin but have hourglass figures.

Please stop calling plump women curvy. It's an insult to women with hourglass figures.

SIGH--CALL US HONEY,SWEETIE,SEXY,INTELLIGENT,BUT DEFINITELY NOT YOUR BFF'S

Old 01-06-2011, 02:29 PM

2,185 posts, read 3,890,063 times
Actually if a white woman is 5 pounds overweight she is fat
a black woman 50 pounds overweight and she is considered normal. Why is this?

Old 01-06-2011, 02:39 PM

634 posts, read 1,233,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cupcake77 View Post
Ummm, no, I don't think anyone thinks being 50lbs overweight is "normal".

What you have is diverging understandings of what is considered culturally acceptable.

On the whole (granted, this is not all-inclusive, nor is it a scientifically substantiated declaration, it's more empirical than anything else, I speak as a woman of African American and Latin American descent), the African American community is less obsessed with weight and body image because it's not something upon which an enormous amount of emphasis is placed. Does this mean that African American women would prefer to be overweight? No, not at all. It means that an all-out preoccupation with one's size and such are not nearly as prevalent. You're taught that beauty has more than one way of existing. You are beautiful because of how you move, what you think, what you believe, and how you express yourself, not because you are thin. It has more to do with what you're raised to believe is acceptable in terms of your body and body image. If African American women were so apt to consider being overweight normal, why did Jennifer Hudson head off to the Weight Loss land? Or how about Missy Elliott? Probably because the pressures for them to look a certain way became stronger as they began to circulate in certain circles? Don't you think holy h*ll would erupt if Halle Berry put on an extra forty pounds? I don't know, just putting it out there.

There are also African American women who are more than happy to accept their bodies as they are, Queen Latifah comes to mind. I think she's a beautiful person and she shouldn't have to become a gaunt, waif to prove to anyone.

Also, I prefer buxom or zaftig to "plump" or curvy. Thank you.

Old 01-06-2011, 02:54 PM

1,904 posts, read 2,483,292 times
Quote:
GTFOH!!!!!

I'll say this though. There is an overwhelming majority of women that would be considered somewhat overweight by medical standards that I find particurlarly attractive. Even more attractive than the ultra-fit women with low body percentage fat or w/e it's called. Btw, this applies to all races.

Old 01-06-2011, 03:16 PM

2,185 posts, read 3,890,063 times
Come on... white males are extremely critical of females body weight. I know not every guy is, but I would say overall while males are much harder on women and their weight than any other race of men out there.

Old 01-06-2011, 06:33 PM
EB2

1,927 posts, read 5,336,504 times
Quote:
Come on... white males are extremely critical of females body weight. I know not every guy is, but I would say overall while males are much harder on women and their weight than any other race of men out there.
I definitely agree.

Old 01-06-2011, 08:48 PM

12,977 posts, read 28,803,617 times
Here are a few curvy women that I posted in a thread a while back. I swear, I get at least two people everyday (non members) who give me rep points for this: http://www.city-data.com/forum/7102346-post8.html

Old 01-07-2011, 06:12 AM

19,189 posts, read 14,062,995 times
So an "S" is curvy? A "B" has creases? An "O" is very curvy. I figure most figures are closer to a "0" than an "8". I guess I don't get the problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty