U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-13-2011, 04:01 AM

1,483 posts, read 2,823,516 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hart4july View Post
How very fortunate she is to be observed by yourself in spite of her "jacked up" face.
100% correct, great post!!!

Old 01-13-2011, 07:37 AM

1,055 posts, read 2,053,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaoTzuMindFu View Post
As soon as the discussion turned to sizes that is when this thread went downhill.

Sizes are NOT important. Heck, my wife is 5' 2" tall, 122 pounds with 34Bs. She has clothes in sizes of 0, 00, P, XS, S, XP, 5, M. So with all this vanity sizing its useless argue at all about sizes of clothes.

There is a significant difference between "PLUMP" and "CURVY" but the plump/overweight/obese women refuse to identify themselves as being plump/overweight/obese while describing themselves on singles sites, so, they just use the word "CURVY". Then, they get all disappointed when the MALE they are supposed to meet turn them down and away because of false advertising. Men think of curvy as being a nice sexy woman. If one of my buddies describe a woman as being "curvy", its pretty much guaranteed that she's Kim Kardashian or Sofia Vergara like.
Darn. I can't give you another rep yet.

Old 01-13-2011, 10:31 AM

116 posts, read 152,862 times
I don't get it. Is 'B' supposed to represent the side view of the ones whose bodies consist of one huge fat roll stacked atop another?

Old 01-13-2011, 11:48 AM

7,371 posts, read 12,316,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaoTzuMindFu View Post
As soon as the discussion turned to sizes that is when this thread went downhill.

Sizes are NOT important. Heck, my wife is 5' 2" tall, 122 pounds with 34Bs. She has clothes in sizes of 0, 00, P, XS, S, XP, 5, M. So with all this vanity sizing its useless argue at all about sizes of clothes.

There is a significant difference between "PLUMP" and "CURVY" but the plump/overweight/obese women refuse to identify themselves as being plump/overweight/obese while describing themselves on singles sites, so, they just use the word "CURVY". Then, they get all disappointed when the MALE they are supposed to meet turn them down and away because of false advertising. Men think of curvy as being a nice sexy woman. If one of my buddies describe a woman as being "curvy", its pretty much guaranteed that she's Kim Kardashian or Sofia Vergara like.
I agree, Sofia Vergara is THE quintessential curvy actress in the media today.

Old 01-13-2011, 12:58 PM

5,412 posts, read 8,279,710 times
Every time I watch "What Not To Wear," they are making over a very plump woman and telling her they just need to find the right clothes to compliment her "curvy" figure. They call every overweight woman "curvy" on that show. So the media also perpetuates this misnomer.

Old 02-10-2011, 09:40 AM

5 posts, read 5,020 times
Default fat vs thin

First- I'm very nervous about even posing this question, but the other day I posted my first comment on a message board responding to a poster asking if a BMI of under 18 was too low. (she was 14) and I said not necessarily. I felt very attacked by people telling me that anyone with a BMI under 18 was starving to death, ugly, had a mental disorder, worthless, stupid, gross,...........

Why is it socially acceptable to be cruel to a thin or fit women, but any whiff of an insult ie. calling a fat person- fat is met with no shortage of people ready with their defense?

I know it's a very touchy subject for some people, but it's really unfair. I'd love to understand a perspective that I know little about. Please be kind, and please explain.

Old 02-10-2011, 03:16 PM

236 posts, read 762,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by max's mama View Post
Please stop calling slim women "sticks". Just because I'm slim, doesn't mean that I don't have curves, dammit!!!

Just trying to play off the original post.
I hear ya. That whole "Real women have curves" parade annoyed the crap out of me.

Old 02-10-2011, 03:22 PM

236 posts, read 762,533 times
I agree. But really, who defines curvy? The men? The women? or the media?

If you're overweight and it's obvious, then you're overweight. Please don't disguise it buy saying, "Oh, I'm curvy!"

Your rolls don't fool anyone.

But then again what do I know? I'm just a skinny broad.

Old 02-13-2011, 05:43 AM

1,483 posts, read 2,823,516 times
I don't understand how a women can define or tell another women that she is or is not curvy unless she is lesbo. If a man tells a women that she is curvy then she is curvy. A lady who is unsure of her curviness should simply ask a man. Asking a competitor for advice is almost counterproductive.

Old 02-13-2011, 08:33 AM
Itz

714 posts, read 1,859,225 times
These threads are quite irritating as the media does perpetuate a lot of the mis information by making obese/overweight women feel they can accept themselves by calling it "curvy". A lot of women - bothe skinny and overweight are truly not curvy by any means. Many skinny women who say they are "curvy" are really board straight. Many obese women - well are just one big O size.

To me - a truly curvy woman is somone that has a true hourglass shape. Very few woman have this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty