U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 12-27-2010, 09:30 AM
 
Location: Tennessee
1,031 posts, read 2,046,935 times
Reputation: 729

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainroosty View Post
Plump women are curvy.
"Plump" or overweight women are curvy, but rarely in the perfect hourglass shape that the OP was talking about. Extra weight usually gathers a bit below the ribs and straightens out the sides, eliminating the hourglass appearance. Props to the poster that called out most overweight women as accurately being described as Rubenesque.


 
Old 12-27-2010, 09:35 AM
 
Location: Houston, Texas
1,084 posts, read 1,337,910 times
Reputation: 497
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainroosty View Post
Plump women are curvy.
No they're not. If their curves meet in creases, there are two curves. These women are lumpy. If their curves meet at another curve, without a crease, only then are they curvy. There is three curves. 3 is more than 2.

2 curves with a crease is lumpy. The letter B.
3 curves is curvy. The letter S.
 
Old 12-27-2010, 09:39 AM
 
Location: Houston, Texas
1,084 posts, read 1,337,910 times
Reputation: 497
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristin85 View Post
"Plump" or overweight women are curvy, but rarely in the perfect hourglass shape that the OP was talking about. Extra weight usually gathers a bit below the ribs and straightens out the sides, eliminating the hourglass appearance.
How does having fewer curves or having less exaggerated curves make someone more curvy?

Your picture is a perfect example. Those Rubenesque women look very lumpy. Look at all of those creases and sharp shadows!!! Curvy women should not have creases and lumps. They should have curves.
 
Old 12-27-2010, 09:42 AM
 
Location: Tennessee
1,031 posts, read 2,046,935 times
Reputation: 729
Quote:
Originally Posted by smartalx View Post
How does having fewer curves or having less exaggerated curves make someone more curvy?

Your picture is a perfect example. Those Rubenesque women look very lumpy. Look at all of those creases and sharp shadows!!! Curvy women should not have creases.
Rubenesque women (the "average women" today) have curves where the creases come together. Lumpy and curvy are synonymous, but not all curvy women are lumpy. Kind of like "all squares are rectangles, but not all rectangles are squares." Tricky, but makes sense.
 
Old 12-27-2010, 09:47 AM
 
921 posts, read 954,749 times
Reputation: 1599
Quote:
Originally Posted by smartalx View Post
No they're not. If their curves meet in creases, there are two curves. These women are lumpy. If their curves meet at another curve, without a crease, only then are they curvy. There is three curves. 3 is more than 2.

2 curves with a crease is lumpy. The letter B.
3 curves is curvy. The letter S.
This is what's ruining our society, judging a women & categorizing them just because they have curves. That's why so many of our young women have eating disorders because the society will judge you no matter if your body is a "B" or "S" shaped.
The media has put it in majority of the society's head that the "I" shape is better, which to me is closer to being anorexic.

We need to help women concentrate more on building & rating their inner beauty rather than what's on the outside first.
 
Old 12-27-2010, 10:08 AM
 
Location: Houston, Texas
1,084 posts, read 1,337,910 times
Reputation: 497
Quote:
Originally Posted by imalert View Post
This is what's ruining our society, judging a women & categorizing them just because they have curves. That's why so many of our young women have eating disorders because the society will judge you no matter if your body is a "B" or "S" shaped.
The media has put it in majority of the society's head that the "I" shape is better, which to me is closer to being anorexic.

We need to help women concentrate more on building & rating their inner beauty rather than what's on the outside first.
I didn't start this thread to judge Rubenesque women. I'm just trying to make a logical argument on the word choice.
 
Old 12-27-2010, 10:13 AM
 
Location: Bay Area, CA
28,166 posts, read 43,444,026 times
Reputation: 18539
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristin85 View Post
Rubenesque women (the "average women" today) have curves where the creases come together. Lumpy and curvy are synonymous, but not all curvy women are lumpy. Kind of like "all squares are rectangles, but not all rectangles are squares." Tricky, but makes sense.
Yes, it does... at least to some of us. I have a friend, for example, who ranges from "slightly chubby" to "chunky" depending on the month (holding steady at chunky since having her daughter). But for Pete's Sake, that woman NEVER has a flabby stomach - it's flat as a board, even after having a child!! I am admittedly jealous, since that's something I have to fight with, but she's just naturally built that way. She also has rather large boobs, so I guess she could qualify as a truly plump-curvy woman.

P.S. Her husband thinks she's gorgeous at ANY weight.
 
Old 12-27-2010, 10:15 AM
 
Location: Houston, Texas
1,084 posts, read 1,337,910 times
Reputation: 497
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristin85 View Post
Rubenesque women (the "average women" today) have curves where the creases come together. Lumpy and curvy are synonymous, but not all curvy women are lumpy. Kind of like "all squares are rectangles, but not all rectangles are squares." Tricky, but makes sense.
I'm sorry but I just don't see that. A wave
(
.)
(
.)
with crests and troughs is twice as curvy as..
)
)
a shape with only crests.
 
Old 12-27-2010, 10:31 AM
 
Location: Yellow cottage, green doors.
16,317 posts, read 12,580,363 times
Reputation: 71532
Plump women are curvy. The "hourglass" term that you are using is ridiculous. Women aren't eggtimers. I think that this thread is absurd.
P.S.
Plump women are curvy.
 
Old 12-27-2010, 10:36 AM
 
Location: Houston, Texas
1,084 posts, read 1,337,910 times
Reputation: 497
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainroosty View Post
Plump women are curvy.
You already stated that and you didn't rebut my rebuttal. How is it more curvy to have fewer curves? Please explain that to me because I just do not get it.
Quote:
The "hourglass" term that you are using is ridiculous.
Are you kidding me???? I've seen tens or hundreds of thousands of women with hourglass figures!
Quote:
Women aren't eggtimers.
This is an appeal to ridicule.. a logical fallacy. Besides, you are the one who is bringing up the term 'eggtimers.' I am comparing them to the shape of the hourglass.

You don't like that? Then how about coke bottles? You DO know that the feminine form inspired the shape of the coke bottle, right? That's a historical fact. I don't see any creases on that shape.

Last edited by smartalx; 12-27-2010 at 10:46 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top